05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

am sequential taillights problem

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/10, 06:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am sequential taillights problem

ok i ordered some american muscle seq tailights a month ago install was quick and easy everything worked about a week later i noticed one bulb wasnt flashing. replaced it then everything was good again or so i thought. now just yesterday i put hazards lights on and noticed that 2 were working on pass. side and one on driver side.

went to auto zone bought all new bulbs plug them up and everything worked good so i tightened everything up and gave it one more spin and sure enough the pass was working fine but the driver side had only bulb working.

they all light when the lights r on but the driver side only has one bulb working.

any ideas as too what the hell is going on
Old 8/22/10, 11:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, after the hail damage repair on my Mustang a couple of years ago, the body shop put my taillamps back in and pinched one of my taillamp socket wires getting it caught between the threaded stud on the back of the taillamp and the rear body panel when the lamp was all tightened down. This caused a short that grounded out that lamp socket so that it would not operate. Just something to look for.

If I am reading what you stated correctly, right before you put the taillamps back in the rear body panel you tested everything (sequential flashing, brakes, hazards) and it worked. If this is the case them make sure all your wiring clears areas behind the taillamps so that they do not get pinched or stressed with undue tension when reinstalled into the rear body panel.

My only other suggestion is to check the contacts on the inside of the bulb socket to make sure they come in contact with the thin wire contacts on the base of the bulbs. Sometimes the contacts inside the bulb socket or on the base of the bulb do not have enough tension to ensure a good connection. This kind of poor connection causes high electrical resistance which creates heat which can change the shape of the contacts inside the socket so they cannot maintain a solid contact at all times. Also, continued poor contact (as opposed to no contact) yields high electrical resistance will potentially overheat the bulb socket and melt it.

You can often gently bend the contacts in a bulb socket to give better tension against the contacts on the base of the bulb.

If this does not work then I suspect a defective sequential module for that side of the vehicle, or a poor wiring connection made to that module that supplies that taillamp section.

Using a simple voltmeter or test light you can confirm whether or not that you are getting intermittant voltage from the bulb socket contact when the turn signals are flashing on that side.

If you are burning out bulbs be sure that you are using quality brand ones...

Last edited by watchdevil; 8/23/10 at 12:14 AM.
Old 8/23/10, 12:08 AM
Bullitt Member

are the light bulbs going bad (filament burned out) or are they just not working?
Old 8/25/10, 11:00 AM
V6 Member

bulbs light up when lights r on but when i turn signal light only right one works
Old 8/25/10, 11:32 AM

I ordered the same ones and tested them before completing the install. One side worked great but the other side had one not working and when I grabbed the pigtail it was VERY hot. I called them and they replaced both and havent had an issue since. May want to call them. They should still be under warranty. Maybe get both replaced.
Old 8/29/10, 09:28 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I got mine from SHR long ago...no problems at all other than one bulb burned out a couple months ago

evey time I hear of taillight issues, gotta say, pull your passenger floormat and feel for wet carpet- have read soooooo many times on various forums about water in the SJB first showing up as taillight issues...speaking of which, I STILL havent changed my cabin air filter(going on 5 yrs) and I know that if the drains under it plug up I will have similar troubles to what the others have...or worse- my car was brand new when I pulled the fenders/interior panels to seamseal touchup and undercoat, theses a good chance my dash might just fill up if that drain plugs up