05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Am I being screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/06, 07:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I being screwed?

I just dropped my car off at Galpin Ford to have the roush front fascia, Street Scene ducktail, and my side mirrors painted. I live aprox. 1 hour and 20 min. away. The reason I drove all they way there for that is because they messed up when I purchased my car by installing a front license plate after I signed papers telling them not to do it. I worked out a deal with my salesperson to get my exterior mods (e.g. front fascia, side skits, spoiler, etc.) at their wholesale price. I drop my car off at Galpin's Auto Sports and find out that the cost of my front fascia, ducktail, and mirrors are going to cost me $2,333 . With my fascia costing $1400 mirrors costing $350 and ducktail $590. They told me I was saving about $1,000 all together. It was still going to cost me more than I thought it would. He said that they were giving me a discount on the parts, but the rest was labor ( prep, paint, install) They supposedly use VERY talented professionals. He said the roush front end cost a lot because it was a very involved process to install the lights and side vents. I told them I would think about it and left my car there while I went to lunch. During lunch I called another ford dealership and asked them what a roush fascia would cost me out the door. They also said it was a very involved process and it would cost me $1500-$1700. So needless to say I am letting Galpin do my mods. Any advice will be much appreciated. Gotta love this site!
Old 5/18/06, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea, you're getting screwed. Shop around and figure out what you're paying for parts and the rest is labor.

The installs won't take more than two hours, total.

It's there now and they probably started on it, so nit -pick the hell out of it.
Old 5/18/06, 07:41 PM
Cobra R Member

well I hope you mean 1500-1700, 15 thousand to 17000 for some body pieces and paint. You have to be kidding right. If not you need help, major help.
Old 5/18/06, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

Oooppppsss!, one too many zeros. My bad!
Old 5/18/06, 08:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dealerships are never the place to go for paint and body work unless a insurance company is paying for it.
Old 5/18/06, 08:36 PM
V6 Member

Just found out apparently I'm getting the front fascia for $150 less, so it'll cost me $1250 total.
And, I went with the dealer because I thought I was getting this awesome discount. I called my salesperson ( the person who I worked this deal out with) I will call him again in the morning and he said he will touch base with Galpin Auto Sports. I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the deal I was promised. He's a very nice guy and he will help me out if he knows what's good for him.
Old 5/18/06, 08:49 PM
Bullitt Member

walk away,,

Mustang Roush Front Facia is $500 shipped from ebay, Includes fog lamps (max $800 shipped - elsewere)

Street Scene Duck Tail Spoiler 2005 Mustang is $274.95 shipped from ebay (max $300 shipped - elsewere)

max fo painting your mirrors is $300 i bet you can get them painted for less

shouldn't cost u more than 1k for parts

the whole roush bodykit is $2,000

so there charging you $900 for painting the roush facia, $290 for the ducktail,, and there over charging you for the mirrors,, again i say walk away,, don't even bother with them forget about them so they screwed u with installing the licence plate,, do you want them to screw u agian wit those prices.

there is a saying

"Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me."
Old 5/18/06, 08:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Go to a body shop, not a dealer! Dealer will charge you more than a body shop will.
Old 5/18/06, 09:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Dealerships are never the place to go for paint and body work unless a insurance company is paying for it.
There are a few exceptions. The best Mustang guy in my town runs the Lincoln-Mercury Body shop (of course the Ford dealer really sucks).
You should see his 1970 429.
Old 5/18/06, 10:10 PM
Bullitt Member

dude ..........

it sounds to me like your trying out for a part in the DELIVERANCE remake

squeel like a ................

nevermind, but that price sounds RETAIL to me!

shop around, go to a few local car shows, find the cars with the nice paint, and ask around.

im sure you can do better, the install is the easy part the paint is the hard part!!

jay
Old 5/18/06, 11:29 PM
V6 Member

Thx for all the reply's. I guess I learned something today...Even a discount from the dealer doesn't compare to a bodyshop. I will make the smart move and call Galpin Auto Sports first thing in the morning to cancel, then I will drive out to pick my car up. I just got off the phone with my grandfather, who's a BIG muscle car fan, and he's gonna help me find a great body shop. (He's constantly working on cars so he knows a lot of people.) Tomorrow I will call the bodyshop for prices and will order my front fascia and ducktail. Once again, this site helps a fellow mustang enthusiast.
Old 5/19/06, 07:02 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Dealer vs body shop is only half the problem. Your salesman lied to you about giving you a discount on the parts. Those are retail prices. Typical salesman.
Old 5/19/06, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Just find a local guy who does it on the side.

A guy from another site, local to my home town (Atlanta) sales paint for a living but he sprays in his spare time. He has several mustangs himself.

I bought the cdc chin and 3d ducktail for $125 and $150. He painted and helped me install for $220. I gave him $250 to show my appreciation.

He also explained the difference in paint b/t metal, plastic, from the factory, and the paint he uses.

A hood with prep, (minor fiberclass touchup) said would run about $500-700 depending on work. I'm guessing a bumper cover would be about $250-$350 from him.

I'd only use a dealer for insurance or warranty work. Anything else (mechanical and cosmetic) goes to someone that I could actually talk to that did the work.
Old 5/19/06, 04:17 PM
Bullitt Member

body shops depend on there paint jobs,, so they do the job right (depends on which one, ask about them and shop around),, the dealership usually have other things going for them, such as repairs, oil changes etc... so they don't care about painting a few body parts, they will jack up the prices, or sometime they will even out source it they will send it to a body shop to do the work (depending on dealership and it size),
an other example where dealerships jack up prices is when you tint your car at the dealership you pay extra and most of the time they out source it, its cheaper than having a fulltime inhouse tint installer.
Old 5/19/06, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Actually, Galpin Ford doesn't even HAVE a body shop. I only know this because my brother just had his yellow 98 Cobra collision damage fixed there [through insurance: $6500+] about a month ago and we went to the dealer and they sent us to "their" body shop. They use a body shop a few blocks away exclusively [I understand] to do all their body work and conversions, including the "Galpinized" cars and trucks. I think the place was called USA body, but I may be wrong. It has a Ford sign up though.

Most dealers in California, especially in SoCal, have trouble with painting due to emissions /pollution limitations, so most of them [with a few exceptions] farm out body work and painting to a preferred shop.

With that said, the place did great work on my brother's car, but is not cheap. Not surprising really as those two things rarely go together, especially for body work.

Mike E
Old 5/19/06, 09:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you get a kiss, cause I just hate screwing with no kissing.......
Old 5/19/06, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Galpin Ford should be avoided like the plague. They're willing to take your money but once you ask them to stop sending you the million peices of mail and constanly calling you to upgrade this and that, they leave you in the cold. Plus, when I took my car in for service they pretty much left grease on the steering wheel and all over the front fender. They told me that it's not their responsibility and that it was on the car before, bull****. They also quoted my buddy 800 for eibach springs and install. Galpin does a ton of terrible things to their customers, they actually fabricated a full 3 inch exhaust for my friend, and then told him that it would void his warranty so he would need to take it off. I don't know, I really don't like their business practices.