V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Mod Noob looking to start adding to my stock V6

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/10, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod Noob looking to start adding to my stock V6

Hey guys, new to the forums. I've wanted a Mustang all of my life and plan to have many in my life. I'm only 23 and still in college, but last year I worked hard and managed to get a 2006 Performance White V6. This is pretty much totally stock, except for the new rims.

This summer, since I have a decent amount paid on the car, I'd like to invest around $1k in some enhancements. I really have no idea what to get. I've read people saying get a CAI and a Tuner, but that's it. I'm also considering having a shop convert it to true dual exhaust.

Any suggestions for a beginner and also if anyone is from Upstate, NY (Watkins Glen area) and knows anyone for installs, let me know. It's greatly appreciated. I'll be floating around the forums, so maybe I can make some friends here and hopefully learn a lot.

Take care,
Ryan

Here is a pic!
Old 5/31/10, 09:41 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome!

CAI and exhaust Would be a great place to start. I think springs would be of great help also.

auto or stick?
Old 5/31/10, 09:50 AM

It's an automatic, I ended up getting this for a really good price last year. $12k. It had 35k miles on it, up to 46k now, haha. I didn't ride it all winter.

Could you suggest to me some cheaper (not too cheap quality) parts to pick up? Also, how hard is it to convert the rear bumper for the dual exhaust or do I need to go a whole new one? Also, what do springs do?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm a computer geek trying to become a car geek. :P
Old 5/31/10, 10:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Check out American Muscle's Blog on their v6 project car for some ideas.
Welcome
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005-v6-project-car.html
Old 5/31/10, 10:09 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The bumper can be found on ebay already painted for about $150. I have seen the dual kits on ebay for under $300.

Eibach Pro-Kit would make the car handle like a whole new animal. $200 ish
Old 5/31/10, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll keep my eye on Ebay. I just don't want to buy something that's totally not it, haha.
Old 5/31/10, 06:15 PM

Trying to find a pre-painted bumper for the dual exhaust online with no luck, any ideas?
Old 5/31/10, 09:38 PM
GT Member

I went with the GT takeoffs for the dual system with a ford racing x pipe ...very cheap....found a pattern for cutting the rear bumper and that was easy after figuring out the starting points....you could probably get the components for under $300 but if you decide to do the cut out...take your time...measure twice, cut once....as for installing the xpipe, mid pipe and mufflers...find a good reputable muffler shop..ask around they are there.
Old 6/1/10, 02:50 PM

$1k... down payment on an x-charger???

Seriously though, my first purchase for my v6 was a CAI and Tuner. Love the extra pep I get from that combo! I have a DiabloSport but reading about how many more tuners are writing tunes for SCT I wish I would have gone with that instead.
Old 6/1/10, 08:32 PM
GT Member

Welcome to the forum. I'm also a college student with a v6. This is the exhaust system I got very recently. A lot of people with sixers go with this kit. It's the cheapest I found when looking to convert mine to dual. Notice that this system comes with the Pypes 3 chamber Street Pro mufflers. You can get the same kit with GT take-off mufflers for quite a bit cheaper. You can also install this kit yourself. All you need is a floor jack, some stands or ramps, and a sawzall/dremel. You don't have to replace your rear bumper cover. The kit comes with a template to cut the left side. It's really easy and looks decent.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...Q5fAccessories

But you can also take yours to a shop and just get them to do a custom job for you but most likely they wont be true duals.

For a couple exterior mods, you could get a magnetic trunk blackout panel: it makes a big difference in appearance and is cheap. Or you could get a different grille. Billet or one with fogs or something. Or paint your brake calipers. Or a get a spoiler.....the sky's the limit really. You'll catch the "modification bug" real quick. There's just an endless amount of things that you could do. let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails Mod Noob looking to start adding to my stock V6-dsc00706.jpg  
Old 6/2/10, 07:27 PM
GT Member

I just now realized this was in the performance section haha oops. But yeah I would definitely start with a cai and tuner/exhaust. They're a good start
Old 6/2/10, 07:40 PM

Hey man, thanks for the advice. No worries on this being the performance section! I actually just ordered some caliper paint and the rear magnetic black out the other day from AM. Next pay check I'm going to grab a spoiler on eBay for around $100, then get the windows tinted. Then I'll save for the duals, cai, and tuner.
Old 6/2/10, 07:42 PM

Oh ya... also how does your duals sound? The main reason I want them is for the sound!
Old 6/4/10, 09:52 AM
GT Member

here is your answer

https://themustangsource.com/showthread.php?t=483336
Old 6/5/10, 09:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RRaplee
Oh ya... also how does your duals sound? The main reason I want them is for the sound!
They sound pretty good once they get broken in (1 or 2 weeks). I had a single MAC axleback before I got the duals and they sound similar. They don't really have the really throaty sound like all of us v6 owners want but cant get.....but they definitely rumble. I'm pretty happy with the setup. You'll definitely like it especially going from the stock muffler to duals. The look and the sound was definitely worth it.
Old 6/6/10, 01:43 AM
GT Member

Have a plan of what you want to do with your car.Write down some of the mods you want interior, exterior and performance wise it helps alot.