05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Is 3M's double sided tape "paint" safe ???

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/08, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Is 3M's double sided tape "paint" safe ???

I was seriously considering some 9-slot louvers for the rear, side windows of my '08 Bullitt, but I found out that they attach to the car's body around the windows, and not directly to the window glass. They use 3M's double-sided tape.

Does anyone know for sure whether 3M's double-sided tape is safe to use on the paint?

I will NOT attach anything to the car unless I can easily remove it and restore the car to its original condition. The risk of ruining the paint job is obviously NOT an option. I am worried that the tape adhesive will eventually bond to the paint over time in the heat of direct sunlight during the summers here in Southern California. Anyone have any experience or specific knowledge on the subject?

Thanks!
Old 3/11/08, 09:57 AM

Talking 3M double-sided tape is apparently safe for body paint

I have received two responses elsewhere that indicate it IS safe to have 3M's double-sided tape on the car's paint. Two people have advised that they have successfully removed the tape and adhesive from the paint and the paint had no apparent problems, issues, or irregularities.

One posting is here.
Because I have been neurotic on this issue, I privately followed up on this and the other post (below), and so I am also posting those communications:
When you removed the emblems on your '01, did you bother taking off the adhesive and really inspect the paint, or did you just clean off the old tape and stick a new emblem on where the old one was?
I took all of the adhesive off before attaching the new emblem. This was in 04 so the originals had been on there for 3 years. In fact my new emblem is smaller than the GT in height so any paint imperfection would show. No worries with the 3M tape it will not harm your paint.
For general information, this person used fishing line to saw through the tape in order to remove the original GT emblems on his '01, which he replaced with the smaller '68 GT emblems.

The second posting on the subject, on a different forum thread, is here.
One quick, stupid question. Those CDC louvers on your 05 Mustang - I take it that they were taped onto the paint and not the window glass?

OK, I lied. A second question: How did you get the residual tape and adhesive off the paint?
Yes the louvers were taped to the sheet metal of the car and not directly on the glass.
Removing the residual adhesive was easy. I used a bit of "Goo Gone" and some elbow grease. There was no apparent damage to the paint.
Old 3/11/08, 09:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dhartson

Does anyone know for sure whether 3M's double-sided tape is safe to use on the paint?
Did you contact 3M ?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ment/FAQs-APT/

Last edited by WaltM; 3/11/08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 3/11/08, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by WaltM
Did you contact 3M ?
No, I had not previously contacted 3M. However, after you posted that link to a 3M FAQ page, I read the FAQ's and didn't find anything on the subject. I went ahead and made an inquiry, though, and if I hear anything in reply I will post it here.

I would be surprised if 3M would stick their necks out and give a blanket thumbs-up as to the safety of using the tape on a painted surface, so I was more interested in the actual experience of end users like me. On the other hand, if 3M gives any assurances, so much the better!

Last edited by dhartson; 3/11/08 at 10:30 AM.
Old 3/11/08, 10:32 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been using 3M tape for years. It is not that easy to remove but it can be removed. If you are careful you will not damage the paint. You just have to be careful regarding which products you use to remove the remaining adhesive. Goo-Gone and WD40 work great but you can purchase professional products that work even better. Once it is all removed you might have to polish the area to blend it in with the rest of the panel.
Old 3/11/08, 10:42 AM
Cobra R Member

No, I had not previously contacted 3M. However, after you posted that link to a 3M FAQ page, I read the FAQ's and didn't find anything on the subject. I went ahead and made an inquiry, though, and if I hear anything in reply I will post it here.

I would be surprised if 3M would stick their necks out and give a blanket thumbs-up as to the safety of using the tape on a painted surface, so I was more interested in the actual experience of end users like me. On the other hand, if 3M gives any assurances, so much the better!
I read it as well, and didn't find any assurances either. If they come back and give you a good response, that's great. In any event, this would be good to know.
Old 3/11/08, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the CDC blackout panel and had to take it off because it was pulling up and there was no paint damage whatsoever. it had been on for a few months at the time.
Old 3/11/08, 05:44 PM
GT Member

I removed 20 year old nameplates from my 1986 F250 and used 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover from a 1qt. can and a soft cotton rag.Took the goo off and the paint shined like new.Only thing was the paint around the namepates was worn down from years of waxing,and fading so I had to replace the nameplates.
Old 3/12/08, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I took off my GT emblems which ford attaches with 3M and there were no problems
Old 3/12/08, 05:18 PM

Arrow 3M double-sided tape is confirmed as safe for your car's paint!

3M responded to my inquiry and advised that their double-sided tape is safe for the paint on your car.

I wrote to 3M (via their online email system) and asked if their double-sided tape is safe for the paint of my '08 Bullitt should I use it to affix louvers around the rear-side windows, and I indicated I would post their response. Their response (and my original inquiry to them) follow:

David,

Thank you for contacting 3M.

When properly applied 3M attachment tapes are safe for attachment of all trim components to vehicle exteriors and interiors. 3M automotive attachment tapes have been used on vehicles for over 40 years. All of the major OEMs and JOEMs use 3M tapes. This includes Ford and the restylers who modify their vehicles.

Tapes can be removed by several methods including, solvents (must be careful the solvent does not damage the paint), citrus base cleaners (use one like the 3M product that does not contain any solvent), or a 3M Stripe Removal Wheel. This is a polymer wheel that is used in a drill at high RPM to remove the tape and adhesive residue after splitting the tape to remove the trim component. The removal wheel has been used on modern paint systems without damage to the paint. It is not recommended for older lacquer finishes since the heat generated by the wheel can damage lacquer paints.

Please feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,

Dale R. Stewart
3M Automotive Division
800-328-1684

----------------------- Original Message Follows -----------------------

Subject = [P] Automotive Solutions Contact Us

Message = I am investigating whether 3M's double-sided tape is safe for a vehicle's paint when used to affix exterior trim to the body of a car. Specifically, I am interested in affixing aftermarket louvers to an '08 Ford Mustang (limited edition) Bullitt; see:
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=M50022
http://www.imboc.com/forums/attachme...4&d=1204138592

I am advised that this trim attaches using 3M's double-sided tape, but the specifics of which tape is not yet available to me. There are a lot of postings on internet forums on these kinds of issues, and I have received two responses that indicate your double-sided tape has been successfully removed after up to 3 years without any apparent harm to the clear-coat paint, but I was hoping for a more authoritative opinion. As this car is a bit of a collector's item, or may be, I want to be able to restore it to its original condition by removing any exterior modification, and so, if I was to remove these louvers, I
would not want to find that the paint had been damaged by the adhesive of the tape.

I will post your reply so that others can benefit from the information you provide!

Thanks.
Old 3/12/08, 05:32 PM
Cobra R Member

3M responded to my inquiry and advised that their double-sided tape is safe for the paint on your car.

I wrote to 3M (via their online email system) and asked if their double-sided tape is safe for the paint of my '08 Bullitt should I use it to affix louvers around the rear-side windows, and I indicated I would post their response. Their response (and my original inquiry to them) follow:
I read their response. It said it was safe, but I didn't see any guarantees. What specifically are/were you going to add?

Last edited by WaltM; 3/12/08 at 05:37 PM.
Old 3/12/08, 05:32 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I've used those wheels before for removing vinyl. It might not damage the paint but you will have to buff the area after.
Old 3/12/08, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I've used those wheels before for removing vinyl. It might not damage the paint but you will have to buff the area after.
Might is the operative word here. If you want louvers, check out the SHR replacements. To me, they're the real deal.
Old 3/12/08, 08:44 PM

I read their response. It said it was safe, but I didn't see any guarantees. What specifically are/were you going to add?
I'm afraid I don't follow. There aren't any guarantees, and I am not adding anything. I had a concern that I thought might be shared, and I was sharing the information I received for whatever it is worth.
Old 3/13/08, 01:26 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm afraid I don't follow. There aren't any guarantees,
I meant that their answer was vague, and that they wouldn't totally commit to the fact that the tape wouldn't damage the finish upon removal.

and I am not adding anything.
What after market items (aside from louvers) were you considering?

I had a concern that I thought might be shared, and I was sharing the information I received for whatever it is worth.
I know !

Last edited by WaltM; 3/13/08 at 03:17 PM.
Old 3/13/08, 02:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don’t want to remove a real glass window

I like the SHR replacement louvers (in theory) but I do not like having to remove my factory quarter glass to install them.

Most of all I don’t want to remove a real glass window to replace with a UV susceptible piece of plastic. 20 years from now it will not have held up as well as a plain old piece of automotive glass…

So for me they are out. My preference would be this louver http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...5&d=1202088631 that tapes to the glass not the body.

Might is the operative word here. If you want louvers, check out the SHR replacements. To me, they're the real deal.
Old 3/13/08, 02:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Most of all I don’t want to remove a real glass window to replace with a UV susceptible piece of plastic. 20 years from now it will not have held up as well as a plain old piece of automotive glass…
Personally, I like the factory look the best. The original GT350's had glass (or plexiglass) panels, not louvers. Fwiw, a buddy of mine mentioned that early fastback Mustang owners used to remove the louvers and put in glass panels.
Old 3/15/08, 02:32 AM

Exclamation 9-slot (SLP) louvers tape to the paint, not the glass

Originally Posted by Black GT500
So for me they are out. My preference would be this louver http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...5&d=1202088631 that tapes to the glass not the body.
Hey there, Kieth. When you take delivery on the Bullitt, make sure you register over at www.IMBOC.com!

On those 9-slot louvers, you missed my post, probably over at IMBOC, that these 9-slot louvers attach to the body of the car around the window; in other words, the tape goes on the paint! So I had almost written them off, but I started this thread to see what experience others have had with the tape on their paint, and have since received some assurances (above) that the 3M double-sided tape is paint safe.

So now I'm still thinking on which style to get (that is, either the 5 slot or 9 slot (SLP) tape-on louvers, since I am of the same mind that I'm not about to remove the window glass). The two main threads on these louvers I have found are here and here.

Last edited by dhartson; 3/15/08 at 02:48 AM.
Old 3/15/08, 03:12 AM

I meant that their answer was vague, and that they wouldn't totally commit to the fact that the tape wouldn't damage the finish upon removal.
I am fairly well satisfied by their response and the experience of others as suggested in my earlier post (#2) that the tape is safe on the paint. I don't expect anyone to offer to replace my car if there is an issue with fading, or whatever, but it doesn't appear that I have to worry about the adhesive bonding with the paint and pulling it off when the tape is removed.
What after market items (aside from louvers) were you considering?
I am considering the SHR lower grill inserts; non-invasive brackets for attaching the front license plate that is required in CA; a spare tire, jack, etc. (a spare doesn't come with the Bullitt); and a '68 period CA license plate that will duplicate the vanity plate I have ordered. Also, I am thinking of replacing the mud flaps I ordered with those from the GT500.
Old 3/15/08, 09:34 AM
Cobra R Member

I am considering the SHR lower grill inserts; non-invasive brackets for attaching the front license plate that is required in CA; a spare tire, jack, etc. (a spare doesn't come with the Bullitt); and a '68 period CA license plate that will duplicate the vanity plate I have ordered. Also, I am thinking of replacing the mud flaps I ordered with those from the GT500.
I have the grille inserts. They've been in for 6 weeks or so and I've had no issues. They pop in. They're solidly in place, but I would like to apply some silicon to make them semi-permanent.

I've got a set of flaps that are still in the bag; not quite sure if I want to put them on or not. I've also been toying with the idea of having them painted body-color, I'll see what happens.

The licence plate is a cool idea, If law permits it, then go for it. We don't have front tags in PA.