05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

HID Guy Install 06 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/09, 01:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Guy Install 06 Mustang

We lost this thread in the last crash so I thought I would repost it.

Jed

HID GUY>

(Video)

Last edited by JedCranium; 10/4/09 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10/4/09, 06:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I have a question. It probably doesn't matter, but I wanna ask it anyway.

The arc of a filament and the arc of an HID are vastly different. The filament is situated, last I checked, horizontally across the car (Side to side, left to right, as you're looking at the front of the car.) Whereas the HID arc is horizontally situated in line with the car (front to back.)

In researching the aspects of light diffusion regarding source location and orientation regarding the reflector (has anyone read up on Gen1 Mark VIII headlamp woes?) the problem with the HID kits is that due to the different location/orientation of the arcs, the HIDs would cause a huge amount of glare.

This is pretty much why HIDs are completely different assemblies than regular bulb reflectors, compesating for the different light sources, and why HID retrofits were (until recently maybe?) not legal.

The question is... is it legal? Or are ya just scofflaws?

The other question is... is it because it's a reflector only system (no fresnel lens at the front) and it's ok to do this without causing others glare? Because that I could understand.

Thanks in advance, really only wanting to learn about this... it's an issue with the old Mark VIII I had, and still have strong feelings about, as Ford/Sylvania screwed the pooches on those headlamps, and the Gen1 Mark VIIIs are destined to become garage queens because of them.
Old 10/4/09, 09:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I have a question. It probably doesn't matter, but I wanna ask it anyway.

The arc of a filament and the arc of an HID are vastly different. The filament is situated, last I checked, horizontally across the car (Side to side, left to right, as you're looking at the front of the car.) Whereas the HID arc is horizontally situated in line with the car (front to back.)

In researching the aspects of light diffusion regarding source location and orientation regarding the reflector (has anyone read up on Gen1 Mark VIII headlamp woes?) the problem with the HID kits is that due to the different location/orientation of the arcs, the HIDs would cause a huge amount of glare.

This is pretty much why HIDs are completely different assemblies than regular bulb reflectors, compesating for the different light sources, and why HID retrofits were (until recently maybe?) not legal.

The question is... is it legal? Or are ya just scofflaws?

The other question is... is it because it's a reflector only system (no fresnel lens at the front) and it's ok to do this without causing others glare? Because that I could understand.

Thanks in advance, really only wanting to learn about this... it's an issue with the old Mark VIII I had, and still have strong feelings about, as Ford/Sylvania screwed the pooches on those headlamps, and the Gen1 Mark VIIIs are destined to become garage queens because of them.
Good question! I wish I could answer it. On the glare I know I don't see any glare, I don't know what an on coming driver see's but on one's every hit their high beams or honked at me. That said I think its okay, on the legal issue humm not sure of that either. So far on issues with the man.
Old 10/5/09, 08:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the re-write Jed! Added to the Hotlinks!
Old 10/5/09, 10:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Thanks for the re-write Jed! Added to the Hotlinks!
Kewl!

I might do one on the ROUSH 6 piston BBK, stay tuned.

J
Old 10/16/09, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
did you do the foglights too?
Old 10/16/09, 06:19 PM
GT Member

How much are the kits? And do you have link on your site for an 05 mustang gt kit.
Thanks Ryan
Old 10/16/09, 09:37 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
did you do the foglights too?
I didn't do my fogs because I removed them. I helped TacoBill install his fogs. I'll see if I have pictures of that install.

Found some install pictures....

The car...

We mounted the relay in the same place as my car. The passenger fender.

The extra ballasts for the fogs we mounted on the front frame rails (L & R) (not shown). The picture below is actually the headlight ballast.

The fogs required a little more wiring but it was easy. We verified power to the fog light switch in the on postion before we re-installed the fog/grill.

Last check the headlights...done!

Last edited by JedCranium; 10/16/09 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10/16/09, 09:39 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by IHVOCD
How much are the kits? And do you have link on your site for an 05 mustang gt kit.
Thanks Ryan
Here's a link:

http://www.hidguy.net/

I installed the 5K Hi/Lo headlight kit, I think it cost around $160.00. I think there on sale for $140.00 right now.

Last edited by JedCranium; 10/16/09 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10/17/09, 09:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

how much brighter are these than stock or silverstar bulbs?
Old 10/17/09, 09:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

how much brighter are these than stock or silverstar bulbs?
How much...? Well without getting to technical and just based on my experience the beam spread is wider and projects farther then my stock bulbs. Best of all to me the light is more white than the stock bulbs, side by side stock bulbs almost look yellowish in light quality compared to the HID's. If you have fogs it's a good idea to switch out both at the same time like TacoBill did. Otherwise your going to see a big diffrence in light color temperature/aka light color.

Last edited by JedCranium; 10/17/09 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10/20/09, 04:31 PM
GT Member

Thanks for the repost! I was getting ready to do this to my GT and was going to use this post for reference then the site crashed.
Old 10/20/09, 04:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by jenks
Thanks for the repost! I was getting ready to do this to my GT and was going to use this post for reference then the site crashed.
Cool let me know if you have any questions, post pictures when your done we want to see!
Old 10/26/09, 01:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think I'm ready to order. Just make sure I'm not forgetting anything:
--H13 (9008) Xentec Bi-xenon (Hi & Lo) HID Kit
--HID Relay Power Harnessing - (1 Pair)
--H11 Xentec Slim Ballast HID Kit
Old 10/27/09, 02:49 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think I'm ready to order. Just make sure I'm not forgetting anything:
--H13 (9008) Xentec Bi-xenon (Hi & Lo) HID Kit
--HID Relay Power Harnessing - (1 Pair)
--H11 Xentec Slim Ballast HID Kit
When I ordered my kit for my 06 Mustang (headlight only). I ordered this kit below...
The kit included the relay harness and the ballast. Are you buying all three items?

Old 10/27/09, 03:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium
When I ordered my kit for my 06 Mustang (headlight only). I ordered this kit below...
The kit included the relay harness and the ballast. Are you buying all three items?

And your's works perfectly? I read somewhere that you needed to get the relay harness with the headlight kit, or else it wouldn't work. Maybe they changed the kit? Sweet, that saves me $40. My plan is to get the headlights and foglights.
Old 10/27/09, 04:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

And your's works perfectly? I read somewhere that you needed to get the relay harness with the headlight kit, or else it wouldn't work. Maybe they changed the kit? Sweet, that saves me $40. My plan is to get the headlights and foglights.
I did'nt do my fogs because I removed them when I install the Roush grill. If your doing your fogs then that might explain the added harness. Just to be sure see if you can call or email the rep just to make sure you have what you need and nothing more.
Old 10/31/09, 06:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Sticky.
Old 10/31/09, 11:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium
Good question! I wish I could answer it. On the glare I know I don't see any glare, I don't know what an on coming driver see's but on one's every hit their high beams or honked at me. That said I think its okay, on the legal issue humm not sure of that either. So far on issues with the man.
This was broght up on another forum I frequent. The thing is regular hid bulbs will produce glare to on comming drivers. The solution on that forum was to coat the tip of the HID bulbs similar to how the stock ones are coated. See below...

http://mustangforums.com/forum/vendo...solutions.html

4) We are the ONLY manufacturer/vendor offering bulb coating to our clients
Without this, no HID kit should be used on 2006 and up Mustang that is missing the bulb covers in the lamps. That means practically all 2007 models and definitely all 2008 and up models.

Old 11/3/09, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor

Great info. I'd like to do this to my 09 GT. Does anyone have any idea what color temperature the Ford OEM HIDs are? I went to the Ford website, and it doesn't say anything.

Thanks!

-Lawrence

Quick Reply: HID Guy Install 06 Mustang