Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Week 5 roundup

Search this Thread

Old 10/9/06, 03:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Week 5 roundup

After watching the games this past weekend, there are two things that really stood out for me:

1. Horrible, horrible tackling by a number of teams.

2. An AWFUL week by most teams punters.

Games that really stood out:

1. Giants Vs. Skins (thought I was gonna lead off with the Eagles, didn't ya?) : Ok, so the Giants started to turn the corner here. Portis, although not 100%, was not effective. Strahan finally got a sack. The defense had a good day, and they better have, because the offense only put up 19 points. The Giants, in my opinion, still don't look that good. Manning is definately looking better than last year, but the rest of the team is going to need to play catch up with him.

2. Chargers vs. Steelers - You have to ask yourself at this point, was it really worth it for the Giants to trade all of that for Manning? Rivers looks just as poised, if not more so. He's getting the ball to his receivers in coverage. I still think this trade is going to bite the Giants in the butt in the long run. Aside from that LT and Co. got the ball moving and even if you aren't a Chargers fan, you have to love watching Tomlinson. On the other side of the coin, Willie Parker is a heck of a back. Smashing through the line, cutting to the outside, you name it, he can do it. The problem with the Steelers this past weekend, was their defense, which is unusual. Not coming up with the big stop and playing off the receivers a little more than normal. Just doesn't look like their year, they aren't firing on all cylinders. Still a good team and could be a dark horse, but at this stage, doubtful.

3. Eagles vs. Cowboys - Ok, I'm going to try to be unbiased here, as I'm a HUGE Eagles fan...lol....I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to say that the Eagles are for real now. Everyone said that they hadn't played anyone, that they were just beating up on weak teams and that Dallas would finally be the test....The Eagles did what they needed to do...points off of turnovers, hit Bledsoe, points on offense off of big plays, hit Bledsoe, shut down T.O. without double covering him, hit Bledsoe, minimized Glenn and Whitten, oh....and hit Bledsoe. 7 SACKS. 3 INT's. Held T.O. to 3 catches for 49 yards. 17 points off of turnovers. Utterly dominated the 2nd half, allowing only 3 Dallas points. All that being said, Dallas was in this game the whole way, but I've heard the T.O. meltdown has already begun, questioning the wide receiver coaches on why they even brought him to Dallas. There are talks of Jerry Jones trying to buy him out, which I think is nothing but talk. The Eagles won the line play, which is what the biggest key to their victory was.

The Eagles are for real.

4. Chicago vs. Buffalo - Chicago just decimated the Bills, on all areas of the field. The Bears are scary good, with two easy games in front of them. There is no reason they shouldn't be 10-0 going into the Pats game, unless the Giants get their act together. So far, they should be the clear cut winners of the NFC, unless they get hit by the injury bug.

5. Jets vs. Jags - I hate you, NY Jets! You were my upset for the week, but no, you couldn't tackle anyone on defense until AFTER they got the first down. Oh, and maybe you should have thought about actually TRYING to stop the run. But hey, that's just me.

MNF should be a GREAT, HARD HITTING game tonight, with the Broncos going up against the Ravens. I'm taking the Broncos in this one, I think they are the more complete team, overall. Plus, it's in Denver.

Picks for Week 6:

Buffalo at Detroit - battle of two bad teams...pick 'em, but I'm gonna take Detroit

Panthers at Ravens - Ravens D is going to be too much for the cats.

NY Giants at Atlanta - The Falcons are going to take Tiki out of the game and make Eli win it. Unfortunately for the Falcons, the Giants are going to do the same with Vick. I'm taking the Giants.

Texans Vs. Dallas - Battle of Texas...Dallas wins.

Titans at Skins - Titans had their Super Bowl this past weekend...Skins win at home.

Cincinnati at Tampa Bay - Cincinnati....Tampa's D won't be able to contain their high powered offense. Bengals

Eagles vs Saints - If the Eagles aren't still too high from a win against Dallas, they should win. Birds

Seahawks vs Rams - Expect Branch to have a big day against the Rams. Hawks

Dolphins vs Jets - I'm taking the fish in this one...anyone have an idea if Moss is really going to come to Miami?

Chiefs at Pittsburgh - This is the toughest pick of the week, in my opinion. The Steelers have been so up and down, you don't know which team is going to show up each week. Too many ifs, I'm going to take the Chiefs in an upset.

Chargers at 49ers - LT left, LT right, LT up the middle. Chargers.

Oakland at Denver - If they have traded Randy Moss...Denver. If they keep Randy Moss....Denver.

Chicago at Arizona - Da Bears, for all the reasons listed above.
Old 10/9/06, 07:50 PM
GT Member

How could you not at least comment on Titans vs. Colts? The Colts should've walked away with that in a big way and didn't.
Old 10/9/06, 08:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Enyo
How could you not at least comment on Titans vs. Colts? The Colts should've walked away with that in a big way and didn't.
He's got a point there Paul. Great job otherwise. Maybe the Bears will meet the Eagles in the playoffs. In Chi town of course. Do I sense another FOG bowl? I guesss thats a little presumptuous at this point. Oh well.
Old 10/10/06, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Enyo
You do have a point...you have to forgive me, I was still clouded by the Eagles victory...lol

Plus, I try to limit it to 5 games...normally.

The Colts are my second favorite team and they are making me really, really angry this year. I guess with the injuries on defense and the loss of Edge, I should have seen this coming. They are still a powerful team, but they seem to be suffering the same thing that the Steelers are this year...a lack of focus, I think. Manning seems to be throwing the same way in seasons past, but his receivers are having a tough time hanging onto the ball. I'm going to have to watch the clips of this game again and see what I come up with. One thing I will say, seeing the way that the Titans played against the Colts, the Skins better be wary this week.

If the Eagles meet Da Bears in the playoffs, it's no contest....Bears win, at least where the teams stand today. Someone is going to have to beat them and show the league what their weaknesses are, because right now they don't look like they have any. And you had to bring up the Fog Bowl, didn't you? lol I still think that if the Eagles won that game, they would have won the whole thing that year.