Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Some national title game...

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/05, 06:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 63galaxie+January 6, 2005, 4:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (63galaxie @ January 6, 2005, 4:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by holderca1@January 6, 2005, 12:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-63galaxie
@January 6, 2005, 9:56 AM
"analysts" said they need a few more years to work out the kinks, they don't want to drag a boring season on into February, but they want enough teams to make it fair, i dunno what'll happen
hard to have a perfect season, i say just have a playoff with the top so many teams..

A playoff wouldn't draw out into February. The teams don't play for a month, month and a half, plenty of time to have 3 weekends of playoffs.

And they have been working on these kinks for almost 10 years, and they fail nearly every year. College football postseason is a joke. 3 teams finished the season undefeated. That's rediculous. I say an 8 team playoff would be perfect. That would mean you have to win 3 games in the playoff to win the championship.
point there...i've only heard them bring it up seriously for the past few years...but it should have been recognized WAY earlier....the reason i thought there should be more teams than 8 is that there should be more of a chance for the underdogs to get in... [/b][/quote]
I agree, I like to see the little guy win big. I think it could work at 8, maybe add a few more. Here is how I would of had it. There are no automatic bids, so Pittsburgh and the Big East wouldn't of made the tournament. But my list of teams in would be USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, Utah, Boise State, California, Texas, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Georgia, LSU. Went with 12 teams, use the BCS standing to seed the teams.

1 USC
2 Oklahoma
3 Auburn
4 Texas
5 California
6 Utah
7 Georgia
8 Virginia Tech
9 Boise State
10 Louisville
11 LSU
12 Michigan

The top 4 would all get a first round bye. The first round of games would be:
California vs Michigan, the winner would play Texas
Utah vs LSU, the winner would play Auburn
Georgia vs Louisville, the winner would play Oklahoma
Virginia Tech vs Boise State, the winner would play USC

With the system they have now, people usually only watch a few bowls as it is, typically the big and important ones and maybe the one that their favorite team is playing in. With this system, there is a whole host of games that people would be interested in, just like the college basketball tournament. I find myself watching that tourney and watching a game I normally would care less about and routing for the underdog. This solution just seems to make too much sense I think, oh well, one can always dream.
Old 1/7/05, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds pretty good...hard for momentum shifts for some teams MAYBE depends on how many games before the playoff. Playoffs are a good idea...maybe even the winner of each conference and a few more from other confrences thrown into the mix????doubtful just a thought, theres better ways
Old 1/7/05, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

They need to require a championship game for each conference.

That'd be:
PAC-10
Big 12
Big 10
SEC
ACC
Big East
MAC

Well, there's 7. But I'd swear I'm forgetting a conference (at least).
If that's the case, you'd have an 8 team playoff, no byes and the whole thing would take 3 weeks. Perfectly acceptable.

What really gets under my skin is this "Well Auburn has no argument" attitude. That's fair if you only consider how badly USC whipped OU. But consider that this is two years in a row OU has been deemed championship worthy only to go and embarass themselves. When will people realize that OU is just friggin' overrated?
Old 1/7/05, 10:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I gotta argue about OU being overrated, they fell apart like Pink's wall...but I don't know that was not the same team that shutout Texas

Good idea on the conferences...just let other entries be like great runner ups in the conferences or somethin because i want a few more than 8...

Missing the WAC and independents BTW
Old 1/7/05, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

As far as OU being overrated... I think the adage "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." applies. But I don't want to get into an argument with you over it, so consider the issue dropped from my end.

Thanks for pointing out the conference I was forgetting. Also, the Independent schools do pose a problem. I like an 8-team playoff structure I described though. You could allow some of traditional Bowl games to survive as Week 1 playoffs. Imagine every year the Rose Bowl actually being Big 10 Champ vs. PAC-10 Champ... the way the football gods intended.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention the point of why I like an 8 team playoff though. Most arguments offered against a playoff system are worries of extending the season. (And interfering with student-athlete educational pursuits. roflol) And to comment on something someone else mentioned. This may just be personal bias, but I'd rather not have a bye-week in college. The advantage to my system is the complete, and total, death of the BCS.
Old 1/8/05, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by Q`res@January 7, 2005, 11:38 PM
They need to require a championship game for each conference.

That'd be:
PAC-10
Big 12
Big 10
SEC
ACC
Big East
MAC

Well, there's 7. But I'd swear I'm forgetting a conference (at least).
If that's the case, you'd have an 8 team playoff, no byes and the whole thing would take 3 weeks. Perfectly acceptable.

What really gets under my skin is this "Well Auburn has no argument" attitude. That's fair if you only consider how badly USC whipped OU. But consider that this is two years in a row OU has been deemed championship worthy only to go and embarass themselves. When will people realize that OU is just friggin' overrated?
You are missing quite a few, there are 11 (I added the conf champion of each just for fyi)

PAC-10 (USC)
Big 12 (Oklahoma)
Big 10 (Michigan)
SEC (Auburn)
ACC (Virginia Tech)
Big East (Pittsburgh)
MAC (Toledo)
Conference USA (Louisville)
Mountain West (Utah)
Sun Belt (North Texas)
WAC (Boise State)

and 2 Independent teams (Navy, Notre Dame)

That's a good idea about the conf champs, but then what happens with the independents? That's originally how the college basketball tournament used to be, you had to win your conference just to make it, now there are 5 or 6 teams making it from some conferences.
Old 1/8/05, 09:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Q`res@January 8, 2005, 12:20 AM
As far as OU being overrated... I think the adage "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." applies. But I don't want to get into an argument with you over it, so consider the issue dropped from my end.
same here... i know one thing EVERYONE will agree on is this will forever be known as the ultimate choke
Old 1/8/05, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by 63galaxie@January 8, 2005, 10:44 AM
i know one thing EVERYONE will agree on is this will forever be known as the ultimate choke
I don't know about that, the Yankees in the ALCS have my vote.
Old 1/8/05, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

hehe...close one, i dont follow baseball as closely as i do football, but yes it is arguable which one is more of a choke
Old 1/12/05, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Im from Nebraska so Im no fan of OU by any means of the imagination, but I have noticed that the Sooners seem to be more of an offisive team anymore and seem to be lacking on the d side of things. Now this might have been from the loss of Stoops at D-cord, but it also seems that they dont have as many big name players on that side either. JMO!
Old 1/14/05, 05:07 PM
I'm people, and I like.

It's official. USC #1 for next year also. Leinart is coming back
Old 1/14/05, 07:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't like Leinart, but he is a good QB, but he seems to have a sense of cockiness or over-self-confidence...

That was a tough decision...honor or big bucks? Ha i dont know what I woulda picked.

White is one heck of a quarterback, I just don't understand what happened to him there in the Orange Bowl(3 ints and mental errors)...
Old 1/15/05, 11:12 AM
I'm people, and I like.

the QB position is very mental.... its up there with pitching and hockey goaltending, maybe even more... if your mind is not set on the game, you will get your **** kicked, and hard.
you can have the best throwing arm in football or baseball or have quick reflexes to stop pucks, but if your mind is not strong, your team will lose.
Old 1/15/05, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@January 15, 2005, 12:15 PM
the QB position is very mental.... its up there with pitching and hockey goaltending, maybe even more... if your mind is not set on the game, you will get your **** kicked, and hard.
you can have the best throwing arm in football or baseball or have quick reflexes to stop pucks, but if your mind is not strong, your team will lose.
yes, it was Leinarts day, he was focused...White was clouded up

PS...100th post!
Old 1/17/05, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by 63galaxie+January 15, 2005, 10:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (63galaxie @ January 15, 2005, 10:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-thezeppelin8@January 15, 2005, 12:15 PM
yes, it was Leinarts day, he was focused...White was clouded up

PS...100th post! [/b][/quote]
Seems to be White's M.O. in big games.
Old 1/17/05, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

can't argue, he's gone through so much with his knees and all i can't stand to watch him go through more stuff, but he will be known as one of the best QB's for OU(and known for the ulimate college football choke :bang: )
Old 1/19/05, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Though I went to undergrad at the University of Arizona (basketball school until Mike Stoops turns around the football program), I went to graduate school at USC, and couldn't be happier with the way things turned out this year. That was a great game (at least on my end). Here's to hopefully being in the running for a third straight national championship next year. That was a tough decision for Leinart to stay for another year. Hopefully the money will still be waiting for him next year.

I must say that I have a lot of respect for Jason White. He was a great college quarterback, and battled back from two serious knee injuries.

Fight On!!!