Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Lakers

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/08, 09:51 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lakers

For the love of God how much longer do we have to watch referees helping Lakers win games?
I pretty much stopped watching NBA because of this.

Tonight against Spurs there were 3 bad calls for Spurs in last minute alone. Same thing happen on all home games against Utah Jazz.

This picture is so true. Lakers should retire referees' Dick Bavetta's jersey. He's the only reason why they keep winning.

Old 5/21/08, 10:27 PM
Cobra R Member

He wasn't on the crew tonight was he? I think the one bad call was the Duncan out of bounds play where Gasol slapped it out. Other than that, I didn't really see any bias. The Spurs even got the 50/50 makeup call when Gasol and Manu dove after the ball going out.

I don't doubt the Lakers will get the calls in this series, but I didn't really see it this game. The NBA would LOVE the Celts and Lakers playing in the final. I think David Stern might pass out from pure ecstasy if they both get there.
Old 5/21/08, 10:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

It's not the Lakers or the Refs fault that the Spurs decided to only score 33 points in the second half (13 points in the 4th quarter). Or the fact that as soon as the Lakers (by which I mean Kobe) showed signs of life the Spurs bent over and took it. Just saying.

The behind the back dribble on Ginobli was sweet.

I'm calling the Series at 5, maybe six if the Spurs win one at home.
Old 5/21/08, 10:49 PM
Number Cruncher

I really thought the officials just let both teams play tonight.
When you blow a 20 point lead, I don't really think you can blame the refs.
But...

Officials for tonight's game:
Joe Crawford
Jim Clark
Bob Delaney

Do with them what you will.
Old 5/21/08, 11:02 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Anyone remember that series between Kings and Lakers from few years ago?

When Kings were winning 3:2 and they were up in Game 6 and then Bavetta & Co. gave Lakers 27 free throws in 4th quarter?
Old 5/21/08, 11:07 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by kh765
I think the one bad call was the Duncan out of bounds play where Gasol slapped it out. Other than that, I didn't really see any bias.
How about when Bryant pushed Bowen to give Lakers +2 about 20 seconds left in the game? If Bowen did that to him that would've been called a faul.
Old 5/22/08, 12:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the lakers(mostly kobe) but I do agree with refs being told by the league(in every sport) which way to call games. I have seen it in baseball,soccer, football(1000 times), hockey, basketball( i remember that kings series, that was joke) but however I do agree that the refs cant make a team lose a 20 point lead, or stop them from scoring all together.I know refs are biased, but for the most part a team still has to win mostly by its own merit
Old 5/22/08, 07:44 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
They can't make you lose a 20 point lead. But when they make bad calls you see the players become frustrated and looking around at each other. Their momentum is taken away and their focus gets destroyed. Even a 4-time champion begins to say WTF we can't beat the Lakers, the crowd, and the freakin' refs. Spurs usually win because they are so much better coached than most teams in the league, because they have to beat the opposing team and the NBA front offices. What commissioner in their right mind would want a small market team from "podunk" Texas as Barkley puts it, winning the title again. Stern c*ms when he sees a Celtics/Lakers matchup and we all know it. Its almost like wrestling except the SPurs don't play along.
Old 5/22/08, 08:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I'm calling the Series at 5, maybe six if the Spurs win one at home.
The Lakers barely beat them at home. Does everyone forget how good the Spurs are? This series will go more than 5 games.

Originally Posted by Lennyb44
Officials for tonight's game:
Joe Crawford
Jim Clark
Bob Delaney
I'm amazed they let Crawford come back to do games. The guy is such a hothead and thinks he is the star of the game. What he did to Duncan last year was an absolute JOKE. (and I can't stand the Spurs)

Originally Posted by Red Star
Anyone remember that series between Kings and Lakers from few years ago?

When Kings were winning 3:2 and they were up in Game 6 and then Bavetta & Co. gave Lakers 27 free throws in 4th quarter?
I definitely remember that. I was rooting hard for the Kings. Are you sure Donaghy wasn't working that game too?

How about when Bryant pushed Bowen to give Lakers +2 about 20 seconds left in the game? If Bowen did that to him that would've been called a faul.
First, Bowen can't make that move.

Second, I don't think they call that on any star in the league in that situation. I didn't think that looked bad at all. A Spurs fan might say otherwise, but you just have to play through that at that point in the game. Jordan on Russel was certainly worse than that.

Like everyone has said, you can't blame the refs for blowing a 20 point lead. That was inexcusable for a championship team. The refereeing for that game wasn't bad enough to lose them that lead. (Unlike the Mav-Heat series 2 years ago, but I won't get into that)
Old 5/22/08, 09:27 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm not blaming refs for Spurs blowing a 20 point lead.

I'm blaming refs for making two big mistakes in final 60 seconds when the game was tied.
First ball going out of bounds after Gasol hit it and Lakers still got to ball and then that offensive foul that should've been called on Bryant.
Old 5/22/08, 10:26 AM
Cobra R Member

I agree on the out of bounds, but I think they gave them a makeup call with the Manu/Gasol out of bounds play. I don't think the offensive foul should have been called though.
Old 5/22/08, 10:36 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't know man, over the years I saw many situations called in Lakers' favor. They have help from referees more than any other team in the league.

I'll never forget that moment when O'Neal broke Bobby Jackson's arm and he wasn't even called a foul.
Old 5/22/08, 06:34 PM
Number Cruncher

I'm not blaming refs for Spurs blowing a 20 point lead.

I'm blaming refs for making two big mistakes in final 60 seconds when the game was tied.
First ball going out of bounds after Gasol hit it and Lakers still got to ball and then that offensive foul that should've been called on Bryant.
A real championship team never should have gone from up 20 midway through the third to tied in the final 60 seconds.

By the way, the ball out of bounds was off of Duncan.
But... Gasol hacked him on the arm to get it out of his hands.
Should have been a foul on Gasol. Evidently, the refs didn't see it.
As for Bryant's offensive foul, no way that gets called at the end of an NBA game. Every scorer in the NBA does it frequently. Jordan had it down to a science (called it "clearing space") Refs don't call it unless a rookie does it.

Anyway, it was a good game, and I'm looking forward to Friday.
If the Lakers play like they did last night, Spurs will spank 'em.
Old 5/22/08, 09:55 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Lennyb44
By the way, the ball out of bounds was off of Duncan.
But... Gasol hacked him on the arm to get it out of his hands.
Should have been a foul on Gasol. Evidently, the refs didn't see it.
As for Bryant's offensive foul, no way that gets called at the end of an NBA game. Every scorer in the NBA does it frequently. Jordan had it down to a science (called it "clearing space") Refs don't call it unless a rookie does it.
You are exactly right. That is exactly the way I saw it. At least they didn't give that junk foul at the end of the half. I was gonna lose it if they gave 3 or even 2 foul shots on that crap.
Old 5/23/08, 01:06 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Bill Simmons ESPN
Put it this way: If the Spurs-Lakers series goes the distance, I see a Game 7 officiating crew of Bennett Salvatore, Adam Silver and Jack Nicholson, as well as every Spurs starter fouling out and Gregg Popovich getting two quick T's and being removed from the court on one of those Hannibal Lecter stretchers. And that's a conservative prediction.
Though you might enjoy that Red.
Old 5/23/08, 07:38 AM
Post *****

Funny. But its funny because we all know there is a little bit of truth in it.
Old 5/23/08, 09:23 AM
GT Member

The Spurs blew a 20 point lead with some poor play.
But you missed the hack on the arm to make Duncan lose the ball out of bounds.
Or how about the travel job by Kobe(punk) when he switched pivit foots then took two more steps for the lay up shot.
Old 5/23/08, 09:43 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by kh765
Though you might enjoy that Red.
Actually I'm not a Spurs fan. In fact, I hate them just as much as the Lakers.

My favorite NBA team is Sacramento Kings, but I also like New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz.
Old 5/23/08, 10:04 AM
Post *****

I really have a hard time watching sports anymore, and yet I do all the time.

In football there is offensive holding on every play, its only called sometimes, and that drives me crazy. Then the awful game the refs called against the Seahawks so the fan favorite Steelers could win their 5th ring just stinks to high heaven.

And all those games in the past between the Lakers and Spurs when the Lakers were good enough to beat the Spurs but it was the refs that put them over the top. Its all so subjective I can't take it anymore. I shouldn't have to yell at my TV over a freakin' game.
Old 5/23/08, 10:08 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't like Spurs because of Duncan complaining after every referees call (no matter who Spurs play against), but I especially don't like them because of Ginobili falling down after every little touch and getting free throws for that.

Quick Reply: Lakers