Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Favorite Team?

Search this Thread

Old 8/6/04, 06:48 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Kotzenjunge@August 6, 2004, 7:48 PM
Oh, I wasn't implying that Alabama was my team with that post up there. Take a closer look if you thought that.
Absolutely not, Blast that Danged Tennessee..
Old 8/6/04, 07:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, Kansas is my favorite BASKETBALL team! Go JAYHAWKS!

Uh, football, yeah, well um, we sorta play that.... :nono:
Old 8/6/04, 10:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
War Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8/6/04, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Why do you say War Eagle when you're clearly displaying a Tiger.
Old 8/7/04, 06:07 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by Kotzenjunge@August 6, 2004, 11:03 PM
Why do you say War Eagle when you're clearly displaying a Tiger.
I'll let an Auburn fan answer that one!
Old 8/7/04, 08:20 AM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Same reason we're the Crimson Tide but our mascot is an elephant. Alabama and Auburn are the only two schools in the country whose war cry has nothing to do with their mascot.
Old 8/7/04, 08:48 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

I Can take care of the crimson tide..

Early football teams were simply know as the Varsity or the Crimson White after the school colors. The nickname Thin Red Line was used by sports writers until 1906. The nickname Crimson Tide was penned by Hugh Roberts, of the Birmingham Age-Herald, after the 1907 Alabama-Auburn game. In a game that was played in a sea of red mud, Alabama played heavily favored Auburn to a 6-6 tie. After the game, Roberts dubbed Alabama the Crimson Tide. Zipp Newman, of the Birmingham News, probably popularized the name more than anyone else.

The Elephant Story

The story of how Alabama became associated with the "elephant" goes back to the 1930 season when Coach Wallace Wade had assembled a great football team.

On October 8, 1930, sports writer Everett Strupper of the Atlanta Journal wrote a story of the Alabama-Mississippi game he had witnessed in Tuscaloosa four days earlier. Strupper wrote, "That Alabama team of 1930 is a typical Wade machine, powerful, big, tough, fast, aggressive, well-schooled in fundamentals, and the best blocking team for this early in the season that I have ever seen. When those big brutes hit you I mean you go down and stay down, often for an additional two minutes.

"Coach Wade started his second team that was plenty big and they went right to their knitting scoring a touchdown in the first quarter against one of the best fighting small lines that I have seen. For Ole Miss was truly battling the big boys for every inch of ground.

"At the end of the quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, 'Hold your horses, the elephants are coming,' and out stamped this Alabama varsity.

"It was the first time that I had seen it and the size of the entire eleven nearly knocked me cold, men that I had seen play last year looking like they had nearly doubled in size."

Strupper and other writers continued to refer to the Alabama linemen as "Red Elephants," the color referring to the crimson jerseys.

The 1930 team posted an overall 10-0 record. It shut out eight opponents and allowed only 13 points all season while scoring 217. The "Red Elephants" rolled over Washington State 24-0 in the Rose Bowl and were declared National Champions.
Old 8/7/04, 08:50 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

and for the aubies

that big chicken down in auburn
Old 8/7/04, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Man, the luxury of having an easily explained team mascot. Great history lessons both.

I'm an SEC guy through and through, and the only time I'll root against an SEC team is if it's playing Tennessee or it's Florida. I'll even root for South Carolina on the national scene, just because they're SEC.

Tennessee shirt: "Will Rogers never met a man he didn't like; guess he never met Steve Spurrier."
Old 8/7/04, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Since we're going all educational up in this piece:

After a student poll sponsored by the Pep Club revealed a desire to select a live mascot for the University, the Pep Club held a contest in 1953 to select a coonhound, a native breed of the state, as the mascot to represent the school. Announcements of the contest in local newspapers read, “This can’t be an ordinary hound. He must be a ‘Houn’ Dog’ in the best sense of the word.â€

The late Rev. Bill Brooks entered his prize-winning blue tick coon hound, “Brooks’ Blue Smokey,†in the contest. At halftime of the Mississippi State game that season, the dogs were lined up on the old cheerleaders’ ramp at Shields-Watkins Field. Each dog was introduced over the loudspeaker and the student body cheered for their favorite, with “Blue Smokey†being the last hound introduced. When his name was called, he barked. The students cheered and Smokey threw his head back and barked again. This kept going until the stadium was in an uproar and UT had found its mascot. Rev. Brooks supplied UT with the line of canines until his death in 1986 when his wife, Mildred, took over the caretaking role. She did so until 1994, when her brother and sister-in-law, Earl and Martha Hudson of Knoxville, took over responsibility for Smokey VII and eventually Smokey VIII, with Smokey IX now carrying on the banner of the Smokey lineage. Mrs. Brooks died in July 1997.

One of the most beloved figures in the state, Smokey is famous for leading the Vols out of the giant “T†prior to each home game. The dogs have led exciting lives. Smokey II was dognapped by Kentucky students in 1955 and later survived a confrontation with the Baylor Bear at the 1957 Sugar Bowl. Smokey VI, who suffered heat exhaustion in the 140-degree temperatures at the 1991 UCLA game, was listed on the Vols injury report until he returned later in the season. Smokey III compiled a 105-39-5 record and two SEC championships. Smokey VI, who passed away in 1991, was on the sidelines for three SEC championships. Smokey VIII is the winningest Smokey, having compiled a record of 91-22 (.805), with two SEC titles and the 1998 national championship. The newest Smokey, Smokey IX (left), was at his post at the 2004 Peach Bowl and will be on the sidelines for the season opener against UNLV Sept. 5.
Oodles o' Tennessee Tradition.
Old 8/7/04, 09:38 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Personally, even though UA loves to give UGA a good trouncing.... This is my favorite mascot, I have been begging my husband for one for years..
Him: I will not get you one of those slobbery beasts. Gotta settle for a greyhound again
Old 8/7/04, 09:43 AM
I'm people, and I like.

i think Sports Illustrated named him greatest mascot a few years back. he was on the cover
Old 8/7/04, 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BlueStangVert@August 7, 2004, 8:23 AM
Same reason we're the Crimson Tide but our mascot is an elephant. Alabama and Auburn are the only two schools in the country whose war cry has nothing to do with their mascot.
Not exactly true. The Unniversity of California at Irvine's mascot/nickname is the Anteaters, and UC Santa Cruz is the Banana Slug.

Granted, they're not football powers, thank God. Can you imagine an enraged banana slug?
Old 8/7/04, 02:54 PM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Originally posted by scottie1113+August 7, 2004, 3:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (scottie1113 @ August 7, 2004, 3:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlueStangVert@August 7, 2004, 8:23 AM
Not exactly true. The Unniversity of California at Irvine's mascot/nickname is the Anteaters, and UC Santa Cruz is the Banana Slug.

Granted, they're not football powers, thank God. Can you imagine an enraged banana slug? [/b][/quote]
Ugh. A Banana Slug? Gross....

Ok:
Alabama (UA) has an elephant(big al) for their "mascot" but we are the Alabama Crimson Tide, Or just the tide...WE say ROLL TIDE and some of us have been known to have sticks with a roll of torlet paper and a box of tide affixed.(not me)at the games.

Auburn(AU which is UA spelled backwards) has Aubie the tiger for their mascot, but you say "war eagle" and they have an eagle they bring to the games with them..

So in November- you hear ROLL TIDE!! and WAR EAGLE even though we are actually elephants and tigers Oh my.

Eli Gold is the voice of the crimson tide, and we all know who THE BEAR is. ALSO on Saturday afternoons from September to November the world stops, if you are out, the game is on somewhere to keep track... if you aren't- you are stuck to the tv like a droll eyed idiot.
this is big al..
Old 8/7/04, 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

Miami's mascot/symbol is the ibis, a bird, but they are called the Hurricanes.

Kotzenjunge, there are FSU T-shirts like that, too. My dad has one. All unite against the annoying Gator fans!
Old 8/7/04, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

FSU and Florida have a great rivalry to be sure, but the sheer ferocity of the UT/UF rivalry that has developed only in the last decade or so is tremendous, plus it's a conference game that does a lot to send one of the teams to the top of the SEC East every year, so it's almost as big as FSU/UF.

On the note about the Banana Slug, its ***** falls off after mating. Really.
Old 8/7/04, 10:04 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
On the note about the Banana Slug, its ***** falls off after mating. Really.
Never heard Jim Rome mention that on his radio/espn show!!

EDIT: I think Rome went to US Santa Cruz! :bang: (Went to a party and am not 100% "with it" at 12:05am! )
Old 8/8/04, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Never mind
Old 8/8/04, 10:31 AM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I guess from a Vol point of view, it is a pretty big rivalry. But, in Gainesville, it's not NEARLY as big as UF/FSU. It's ridiculous, because the game means more between UT/UF for sure, but UF fans hate FSU with such a passion, that gets overlooked. FSU/Miami starting this year is going to be A HUGE game yet again with UM entering the ACC.
Old 8/8/04, 10:34 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Quick Reply: Favorite Team?