Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Excerpts From The Book The NBA Doesn't Want You To Read

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/09, 09:24 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess nothing changed.

Lakers were in town tonight and there was nothing better on TV so I decided to watch, even though something told me not to.

I guess it wasn't enough that Lakers got 33 free throws compared to 17 for Bucks (Lakers had ~25 free throws in the first half compared to Bucks's 7), but here we go, 35 seconds left in the overtime, Bucks up by 4. Not only did Bryant travel on the next play, but it was a offensive foul that even a blind referee would see. Of course, they called a faul on Bogut, Bryant hit 3 point play and then scored at the buzzer for 107:106 Lakers win.

This game reminded me why I stopped watching NBA. And I don't think I'll watch it anytime soon, as long as Stern is in the office.
Old 12/18/09, 12:33 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cry me a river.

everytime the Lakers win the NBA rigs it for them right?

Funny how you fail to mention the Bucks missed 3 crucial free throws which would have sealed the game for them. Let me guess, the refs made them miss those free throws so the Lakers could win right??

This is so bad its comical
Old 12/18/09, 09:23 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I know it's so bad, NBA is nothing more than a show, like WWE.

The only difference between NBA and WWE is that WWE admits they're fake and everything's planned ahead.

I admit, before this Bucks-Lakers game I haven't watched NBA game in a while. And I won't again. I'll watch grass grow, that's more fun than NBA.
Old 12/18/09, 05:27 PM
MOTM Committee Member

lol zoran

you'd probably enjoy it more if any of the teams you liked could win games
Old 12/18/09, 07:20 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Do I need to say anything else?

I guess David Stern was few $$$ short for his Christmas shopping.

MILWAUKEE (AP)—Bucks rookie Brandon Jennings(notes) was fined $7,500 by the NBA on Friday for posting a message on his Twitter account after Milwaukee’s 108-101 double-overtime win over Portland last weekend.
Jennings was fined for the timing of his post, not the content, when he tweeted: “Back to 500. Yess!!! “500” means where doing good. Way to Play Hard Guys.”
The fine was announced several hours before the Bucks played at Cleveland, and Jennings reacted on his Twitter account.
“I understand I got fined, but 7500?” Jennings tweeted after learning of the decision. “For being happy over a win, you would of thought I said something bad. I mean it was a big win for us.”
Asked about the fine before Friday’s game, Jennings admitted he made a rookie mistake.
“It was a lessson learned and I’ll move on from it,” he said. “Don’t Tweet when you’re in the arena. I won’t do that anymore. That’s a lot of money, especially around Christmas time. You do a lot of shopping for the family. It doesn’t look like I’ll be able to do that this year. I may just have to give out a bunch of Under Armour gear.”
According to the NBA’s social media policy, players cannot tweet during game time, defined as beginning 45 minutes before the game starts and ending after players have finished talking to the media following the game. His post came at 10:39 p.m. on Saturday, about 15 minutes after the game ended.
Jennings, a prep star who played professionally in Europe for a year before being picked 10th in the draft, has already had a run-in with social media.
He apologized shortly after being drafted by the Bucks for drawing unwanted attention when a profanity-laced and provocative telephone conversation he had was videotaped and posted on YouTube.
Jennings, averaging 20.7 points and 6.0 assists in 23 games, said he’d learned from the incident and he shut down his original Twitter account to focus only on the season.
He couldn’t help himself, though, and revealed on his Facebook site on Nov. 9 that he’d established a new Twitter account.
He told The Associated Press at the time he wanted to stay connected to his fans and didn’t think it would be a distraction again. Five days later, he became the youngest player in NBA history to score at least 50 points with 55 against Golden State.
But he may be rethinking his plans after losing a chunk of his rookie salary, or at least scaling back his holiday plans.
“I’m bout to delete my twitter,” Jennings tweeted Friday. “Cost me 7500. Looks like no Gucci and Louie for Xmas.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Last edited by Zastava_101; 12/18/09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12/19/09, 02:18 PM
MOTM Committee Member

What's wrong with this? He CLEARLY violated the rule, and was punished.

LOL at how Jennings is complaining about losing $7,500. He's a millionaire.

"No louie or Gucci for me."

Does he realize that there are people STARVING to death out there? All the while he's complaining about losing what is chump change to him, and it was his fault!
Old 12/19/09, 08:46 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

David Stern fined player $7,500 for writing that he's happy that his team won and you seriously don't see anything wrong with that?
What kind of a stupid rule can stop players from celebrating their victory?
What's next, they're gonna fine players for high-five after they score a point? I guess they can do whatever they want, players are not people, they're their property.

The whole rule about not being able to discuss referees is also stupid. What, refs can do whatever they want and you can't say a thing about it, otherwise, NBA will fine you? Whatever happened with freedom of speech?

But what does David Stern care? He got more than nice retirement fund by just fining Mark Cuban over the past few years.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 12/19/09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12/19/09, 09:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

It has nothing to do about what he said and everything to do about how he did it. You already know the NBA's rule on social networking sites before, during, and after games so I won't get into that.

I actually like the rule, but for different reasons than the NBA. I'm the type that believes whatever happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal about the twittering thing anyway. I'd get in trouble at my job too if I tweeted about it.

I agree that certain rules are stupid though. Not being able to stand up on the bench and not being able to complain about refs are bad rules that take emotion out of the game. However my opinion on twittering still stands.

If the players don't want to line Stern's pockets, then don't break the rules
Old 12/19/09, 09:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

If you're off the clock at 4:00 p.m. and at 4:15 p.m. you post a message on twitter "I had a great day at work today, I'm so happy I made a big sale", is you company gonna financially fine you?

I'm paying a **** good money for cable TV so I can watch specific sport. NBA, in a way, is depended on people like me because without TV rights there is no way any team would be able to pay $20 million per year for one player. Meaning that I have a right to know what is happening. If they want to keep it all private then get it off public TV.
Of this whole thing with Tiger Woods and how he doesn't want to talk with reporters. I understand that's his private life, but people like you and me are paying his salary.

It's like that Jon Gosselin guy. It took $$$ from TV rights and then decided that he doesn't want his family on TV and doesn't want reporters to butt in his life. It doesn't work that way, you can't get it both ways.

NBA is that way too. They'll take $$$ from TV rights as long as it's in their favor. But if that same TV does something they don't like (like this whole thing with Tim Donaghy) NBA will decline to comment and they'll keep things behind closed door.

I think we deserve to know the truth because we're paying their salaries. Don't you?
Old 12/19/09, 09:58 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
If you're off the clock at 4:00 p.m. and at 4:15 p.m. you post a message on twitter "I had a great day at work today, I'm so happy I made a big sale", is you company gonna financially fine you?
The thing is, if they said until 45 min after the game, he is technically still on the clock until that time ends. Remember Lebrick-err I mean Lebron last year when he refused to do the post game after the Cavs were eliminated? Same situation, you're not off until they say.

Why couldn't he just wait till the 45 min was up. Was it going to kill him? He still would have been feeling good about the W....

Originally Posted by Red Star
I'm paying a **** good money for cable TV so I can watch specific sport. NBA, in a way, is depended on people like me because without TV rights there is no way any team would be able to pay $20 million per year for one player. Meaning that I have a right to know what is happening. If they want to keep it all private then get it off public TV.
Of this whole thing with Tiger Woods and how he doesn't want to talk with reporters. I understand that's his private life, but people like you and me are paying his salary.

It's like that Jon Gosselin guy. It took $$$ from TV rights and then decided that he doesn't want his family on TV and doesn't want reporters to butt in his life. It doesn't work that way, you can't get it both ways.

NBA is that way too. They'll take $$$ from TV rights as long as it's in their favor. But if that same TV does something they don't like (like this whole thing with Tim Donaghy) NBA will decline to comment and they'll keep things behind closed door.

I think we deserve to know the truth because we're paying their salaries. Don't you?
I see where you coming from, and I think your point has some merit. But I don't completely agree. Every tax payer in America pays my salary and I don't believe they have a right to know everything about my personal life.

But like I was saying before my reasoning for not wanting players to tweet/facebook during games etc is for several reasons.

Emotions run high during games, and players might tweet/post certain things that they don't really mean. These posts would be immediately blown out of proportion and overhyped. The players who made the posts would then be judged incorrectly with potential impacts on team chemistry.

It just creates too much media exposure to situations that don't really require it. For examples on the extremes of what can happen with too much media exposure see Terrel Owens and Stephon Marbury
Old 12/20/09, 12:26 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't think Jennings knew that rule.

This is the first time I heard of this rule.
Old 12/20/09, 03:17 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Well like you said you don't keep up with the NBA anymore....but you can be assured all the NBA players were briefed on the leauge's policies. It was all over sportscenter. If I knew he should have known
Old 12/20/09, 03:33 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

It's a rule that doesn't make any sense.

Basically, if you give a verbal interview right after game, you're ok, but if you write something they can financially fine you.
Old 12/20/09, 05:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

fair enough. but do you want players twittering and facebooking at halftime when they should be focusing on the game? (Some players were doing this last year)

Or even worse, they could be doing it DURING the game while they're on the bench
Old 12/20/09, 05:11 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also if you were a team owner would you want to see your players Twittering after the game during the same time that the interviews are going on? I think it is a good rule.
Old 12/20/09, 05:24 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Then team's owners should fine their players, not NBA.
Old 12/20/09, 05:35 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
True but what kind of look would that give to the NBA if they are seen doing that during interviews also? Prolly not a good one which it would cause people to walk away from watching or going to the NBA games which in turn the NBA will lose money.
Old 12/20/09, 06:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

It makes the NBA look like a joke when you have players tweeting when they should be concentrating on the game
Old 12/20/09, 06:23 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

NBA is already a joke.
Old 12/20/09, 06:50 PM
MOTM Committee Member

you bastard!

Quick Reply: Excerpts From The Book The NBA Doesn't Want You To Read