Old 10/31/09, 07:42 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excerpts From The Book The NBA Doesn't Want You To Read

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts...yline=true&s=x

Long, but very interesting, read.

My favorite part:

The 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Sacramento Kings presents a stunning example of game and series manipulation at its ugliest. As the teams prepared for Game 6 at the Staples Center, Sacramento had a 3–2 lead in the series. The referees assigned to work Game 6 were Dick Bavetta, Bob Delaney, and Ted Bernhardt. As soon as the referees for the game were chosen, the rest of us knew immediately that there would be a Game 7. A prolonged series was good for the league, good for the networks, and good for the game. Oh, and one more thing: it was great for the big-market, star-studded Los Angeles Lakers.
In the pregame meeting prior to Game 6, the league office sent down word that certain calls — calls that would have benefitted the Lakers — were being missed by the referees. This was the type of not-so-subtle information that I and other referees were left to interpret. After receiving the dispatch, Bavetta openly talked about the fact that the league wanted a Game 7.
"If we give the benefit of the calls to the team that's down in the series, nobody's going to complain. The series will be even at three apiece, and then the better team can win Game 7," Bavetta stated.
As history shows, Sacramento lost Game 6 in a wild come-from-behind thriller that saw the Lakers repeatedly sent to the foul line by the referees. For other NBA referees watching the game on television, it was a shameful performance by Bavetta's crew, one of the most poorly officiated games of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XmeA5VmhX4

Last edited by Zastava_101; 10/31/09 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10/31/09, 11:10 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I absolutely believe this 100%. You could see it happen with your own eyes. This just puts it in words too.

This is why I no longer watch the NBA, and I'm beginning to grow concerned about the NFL and the preferential treatment the Steelers get. It happened again against Minnesota just last weekend. Not to mention Superbowl XL.
Old 11/1/09, 04:14 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While you're at it might as well add the MLB (blatent pro-yankees this playoffs) to that list. And NASCAR, and pretty much every major sports organization in the world.

There are questionable calls all the time, in every sport. In my estimation the better team usually wins anyway (an exception would be when the mavs lost to the heat a few years back). But don't act like this is just an NBA thing, or just a Lakers thing. I've seen them get screwed over just as many times (if not more) as they've received the benefit.

Case in point, in that same series Kobe was blatantly fouled at the end of game 5 going for a game winner and there was no call. Don't blame it on the refs that the Kings pissed away that series. Even in game 7 they blew it and choked all on their own. I still laugh remembering Christie's threes hitting nothing but backboard haha
Old 11/1/09, 06:38 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Fixing games is nothing new, tracing back to the sixties when the Olympics got into the act.

Professional leagues want their top stars in championship games. Transalation: more revenue. Sometimes I wonder how much attitudes and show boating by the players is encouraged and endorsed by league officials, just as they did with steroids or at the very least they turned a blind eye which is one and the same.

Cheating, lying, and stealing has become more acceptable by society as it become more progressive.
Old 11/1/09, 07:07 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
It's all a load of ****. Call it fair or don't call it at all
Old 11/1/09, 07:35 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
But don't act like this is just an NBA thing, or just a Lakers thing. I've seen them get screwed over just as many times (if not more) as they've received the benefit.
Oh please tell me you're kidding ...

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Case in point, in that same series Kobe was blatantly fouled at the end of game 5 going for a game winner and there was no call. Don't blame it on the refs that the Kings pissed away that series. Even in game 7 they blew it and choked all on their own. I still laugh remembering Christie's threes hitting nothing but backboard haha
Again - please tell me you're kidding. You're mentioning pulling Bryant's jersey, but you won't mention that in that same game O'Neal broke Bobby Jackson's arm and didn't even get a foul.

Everyone knows that Game 6 was fixed. Like I said it before, David Stern did not want guys like Stojakovic, Pollard and Turkoglu to play finals instead of superstars like Bryant and O'Neal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhlGYvIMPgQ
Old 11/1/09, 08:01 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Conspiracies rule the world!!

NBA is fixed
NASCAR hates FMC
Etc.
Etc.
So . . . when are the Cubs going to win a World Series?!

I wish I knew in advance who would win some of these sporting events . . . . wouldn't mind making a few extra bucks in Vegas.

Old 11/1/09, 09:02 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Keep betting on James and Cavs. Stern will make him a champ sooner or later.
Old 11/1/09, 09:08 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

And it's all a common sense - whoever brings in the most money has special privileges. It's always been like that in every sport.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 11/1/09 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11/1/09, 10:59 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Oh please tell me you're kidding ...

Again - please tell me you're kidding. You're mentioning pulling Bryant's jersey, but you won't mention that in that same game O'Neal broke Bobby Jackson's arm and didn't even get a foul.

Everyone knows that Game 6 was fixed. Like I said it before, David Stern did not want guys like Stojakovic, Pollard and Turkoglu to play finals instead of superstars like Bryant and O'Neal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhlGYvIMPgQ
Not kidding IN THE LEAST

Keep betting on James and Cavs. Stern will make him a champ sooner or later.
Don't think so, Lebron in New York would do a lot more for the NBA
Old 11/2/09, 03:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I would rather lose than win by cheating.

I guess the Lakers fans don't feel the same way.
Old 11/2/09, 03:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I guess I was blinded and never saw the cheating.

But I'll still be a Lakers fan
Old 11/2/09, 03:37 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Knight Rider
I guess I was blinded and never saw the cheating.
Lakers fans never do. They pay more attention when somebody pulls Bryant's jersey than when Shaq brakes somebody's arm.
Old 11/2/09, 05:30 PM
MOTM Committee Member

First of all, even if this is true (which I doubt) how do you know the Lakers had anything to do with it?

Secondly, if you're going to fix a game, why wait until the Lakers are down big in the 4th to start calling fouls???

Third, take a look at this excerpt from an article written by Charley Rosen of Fox Sorts today

Also, much is (and has been) made of the poor officiating during Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals between the Lakers and the Kings in 2002. However, except for saddling a team's star players with early fouls, refs really cannot exert total control over ball games. That's because players still have to make plays. Also, in the Lakers' dramatic comeback win, Sacramento could easily have won if Chris "Mister Choke" Webber had converted the several 5-foot, uncontested jump hooks he attempted in the endgame.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/1...r-Donaghy-saga

Just like I said the Kings choked.

Lastly, you and I have been arguing this since this forum first began (before the '05s were even debuted). When are you going to give this a rest lol? The were not and probably never will be the better team...sorry
Old 11/2/09, 05:56 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Just do me a favor and take a look at this and tell me how exactly is this foul on Bibby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rtMtdT-rs

This is the play with 12 seconds left that decided the winner of Game 6.

When will I let it go? When Stern is in prison for fixing games or at least Bavetta. If Donaghy is in prison right now for fixing games, why the hell Bavetta isn't?

I wonder how much did Stern pay to Triumph Books not to publish Donaghy's book ...
Old 11/2/09, 06:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Just do me a favor and take a look at this and tell me how exactly is this foul on Bibby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6rtMtdT-rs

This is the play with 12 seconds left that decided the winner of Game 6.

When will I let it go? When Stern is in prison for fixing games or at least Bavetta. If Donaghy is in prison right now for fixing games, why the hell Bavetta isn't?

I wonder how much did Stern pay to Triumph Books not to publish Donaghy's book ...
I can't watch youtube at work but I'll check when I get home Zoran.

Like I said though bad calls/non-calls happen all the timem, I'm not arguing that. My only problem is it seems like you're always attacking the Lakers like they had something to do with it. If Stern is fixing things, that's one thing, but if the teams are fixing games that's an entirely different issue
Old 11/2/09, 06:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I never said that Lakers were fixing games, but refs are and Lakers gets more help than anyone else. Because they're a popular team, because they have Kobe and because people like to watch them. Lakers won Game 7 fair, no issues there, but Game 6 was a deciding game. Kings were up 3:2 and on their way to NBA finals. Refs make sure that didn't happen because people would rather watch Shaq and Kobe in the finals instead of Stojakovic and Turkoglu. No fault of Lakers.

I pretty much stopped following NBA after that game 6. It's just not fun anymore. I still watch it sometimes, but only when two crappy teams play (like Memphis - LA Clippers). No big stars there.
Old 11/2/09, 06:23 PM
MOTM Committee Member

I never said that Lakers were fixing games, but refs are and Lakers gets more help than anyone else. Because they're a popular team, because they have Kobe and because people like to watch them. Lakers won Game 7 fair, no issues there, but Game 6 was a deciding game. Kings were up 3:2 and on their way to NBA finals. Refs make sure that didn't happen because people would rather watch Shaq and Kobe in the finals instead of Stojakovic and Turkoglu. No fault of Lakers.

I pretty much stopped following NBA after that game 6. It's just not fun anymore. I still watch it sometimes, but only when two crappy teams play (like Memphis - LA Clippers). No big stars there.
Ok Zoran I can respect that. I felt the same way about the Heat Mavs championship series awhile back. I'll check that clip when I get home (I'm almost free lol)
Old 11/2/09, 06:24 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Oh yeah, I remember Heat-Mavericks. When Wade was shooting 20+ free throws in each game?
Old 11/2/09, 11:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Oh yeah, I remember Heat-Mavericks. When Wade was shooting 20+ free throws in each game?
Exactly. That was when the NBA was looking for its next "Jordan." Kobe's popularity was in the toilet after the split w/ shaq, lebron was too unpolished, and Wade fit the bill. Until he got hurt that is. Then the NBA switched to Lebron. Now since he has some controversy and Kobe is winning again, their posterchild is both Kobe and Lebron. Kobe still won't get as many calls as Lebron though as he has made many enemies with the referees lol

And in that vid, if they called a hold on bibby then that is correct. Bibby did get hit, but he was already holding. Also, remember the offensive player is entitled to his space.

Quick Reply: Excerpts From The Book The NBA Doesn't Want You To Read