Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

Alabama Wins 13th National Championship!

Search this Thread

Old 1/7/10, 10:01 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Alabama Wins 13th National Championship!

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!

Led by head coach Nick Saban, six AP First-Team All-Americans including Butkus Award winner Rolando McClain and Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram, the top-ranked University of Alabama Crimson Tide has won the 2009 BCS National Championship with a win over #2 Texas. The NCAA recognizes it as Alabama's 18th National Title. The school claims 13. It is their first since 1992.

ROLL TIDE!!!
Old 1/7/10, 11:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The world is right again!

Thank you Bama! Great game! Great win! Ingram all the way!
Old 1/8/10, 02:08 AM
V6 Member

Alabama played a great game. Congratulations!
Old 1/8/10, 06:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow...really impressive win beating a freshman QB and, oh by the way, almost losing. Alabama did NOT play a good game and Saban showed what a fool he is going into a shell offensively and hoping to run the clock out for the whole second half. Could have easily cost them the game. You guys should all hang Colt McCoy posters in your rooms, his injury is the only reason bama was even competitive.
Old 1/8/10, 06:59 AM
GT Member

Near the end of the 2nd quarter, when Texas called a timeout with just a few seconds on the clock, I said, "Watch, Alabama will get an interception and run it back for a touchdown." I assumed Texas would try a Hail Mary attempt to get into field goal range. I got exactly what I predicted, but not in the way I expected. IMHO, that one bad call killed Texas' chance to win. Mack should have let time run out, and rejoin the fight in the 3rd quarter.
Old 1/8/10, 07:04 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'll be honest.. I didn't know who to root for.. but then when Colt went out, I was really pulling for Texas and that kid... poor guy... kinda reminds me of the Colts Matt Painter situation a few weeks ago against the jets.. only that was by choice.

Congrats To bama though.

Who's up for a plus 1 game against Bosie State?
Old 1/8/10, 07:30 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
I was really looking forward to the best championship game with clearly the best two teams in the nation in years but the game was over before Alabama scored its first touchdown when Colt went down. Too bad the championship came at the expense of a quarterback who belonged being redshirted.

Congratulations to Alabama. Going 14 - 0 is no chicken feed.
Old 1/8/10, 07:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by 1chocophile
Near the end of the 2nd quarter, when Texas called a timeout with just a few seconds on the clock, I said, "Watch, Alabama will get an interception and run it back for a touchdown." I assumed Texas would try a Hail Mary attempt to get into field goal range. I got exactly what I predicted, but not in the way I expected. IMHO, that one bad call killed Texas' chance to win. Mack should have let time run out, and rejoin the fight in the 3rd quarter.
1) Eggs in one basket. Depending on one bolt to hold up the entire system... well, there ya go.

2) Prevent/Clock run out... agreed. That is sucky. Like the Yates thing, you go for the jugular, and you DO NOT LET UP. Oilers v Bills, people... that can and does happen.

Oh, and true to my word, didn't watch it. Called the outcome though, see the other thread, points may have been off. Grats to Alabama.
Old 1/8/10, 08:09 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by SVTJayC
Wow...really impressive win beating a freshman QB and, oh by the way, almost losing. Alabama did NOT play a good game and Saban showed what a fool he is going into a shell offensively and hoping to run the clock out for the whole second half. Could have easily cost them the game. You guys should all hang Colt McCoy posters in your rooms, his injury is the only reason bama was even competitive.
It seemed to me, at least, that for the majority of the second half -- until Texas started mounting their comeback -- Alabama played very, very conservative football, essentially "taking it easy" on the true freshman QB. You saw what happened after Texas made it within a field goal, though.
Old 1/8/10, 08:14 AM

Alabama should not be too pleased with that win. Take away the 3 TDs scored due to the freshman and they loose. Not like they were able to score on their own in the second half against the Texas defense. Of course the Bama fans will crow and the players would be jubilant, but the coaches know if McCoy had been able to play the outcome may have been very different.

Still, this is the first time Alabama has ever won over Texas and their first championship since 1992.
Old 1/8/10, 08:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by rbinck
Alabama should not be too pleased with that win. Take away the 3 TDs scored due to the freshman and they loose. Not like they were able to score on their own in the second half against the Texas defense. Of course the Bama fans will crow and the players would be jubilant, but the coaches know if McCoy had been able to play the outcome may have been very different.

Still, this is the first time Alabama has ever won over Texas and their first championship since 1992.
Agreed. However, a win is a win so props to Bama. With that said we really need a playoff system. Bama might be "National Champs" but there are some other really good college teams out there that deserved a shot.
Old 1/8/10, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by rbinck

I hate that McCoy went out. He's a terrific quarterback and based on his on-field postgame interview, a real class act. However, Alabama had two 100-yard rushers (Ingram, 22 carries, 116 yards, 2 TD; Richardson, 19, 109, 2 TD) against a Texas defense that led the nation in rush defense, allowing only 62.5 yards per game. McCoy couldn't stop Bama's rushing attack.

Also, Garrett Gilbert might be a true freshman, but he was recently ranked as the best pro-style quarterback in the history of Texas high school football. He was Parade magazine's national player of the year. Gatorade selected him as its top player in the country. USA Today named him as its No. 1 offensive player while EA Sports designated him as Mr. Football USA. He doesn't have the experience McCoy had, but I think he's a better quarterback.
Old 1/8/10, 09:44 AM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As stated in another thread...

However, it shows that without him, Texas was not really a national championship caliber team. You could take away any one player from Alabama, and they would still win.
It's now being reported that McElroy played with two cracked ribs. One look at Alabama's roster and team stats would tell you that depth makes a team, not stars.
Old 1/8/10, 10:04 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by TMSBrad
I hate that McCoy went out. He's a terrific quarterback and based on his on-field postgame interview, a real class act. However, Alabama had two 100-yard rushers (Ingram, 22 carries, 116 yards, 2 TD; Richardson, 19, 109, 2 TD) against a Texas defense that led the nation in rush defense, allowing only 62.5 yards per game. McCoy couldn't stop Bama's rushing attack.

Also, Garrett Gilbert might be a true freshman, but he was recently ranked as the best pro-style quarterback in the history of Texas high school football. He was Parade magazine's national player of the year. Gatorade selected him as its top player in the country. USA Today named him as its No. 1 offensive player while EA Sports designated him as Mr. Football USA. He doesn't have the experience McCoy had, but I think he's a better quarterback.
Congrats to Bama!

And with Gilbert, I think we might have a chance to make it back someday.
Old 1/8/10, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TMSBrad

Brad I knew when McCoy got hurt, that if Texas lost all the "Haters" were going to say Alabama only won because McCoy got hurt!!! Well if those Idiots would just think about it a minute they would realize the point you cited in the above quote, and the fact that Alabama took a knee rather than make the score 44 to 21. And that is after "spotting" Texas 6 points!!

It was a good game, even though Alabama couldn't hardly throw a pass. Texas has a great defensive secondary. Colt McCoy is a great quarterback and the game would have been closer if he played all 4 quarters. The best team won and they are National Champions and the "Haters" are just going to have to get use to it.

P.S. We don't play Texas next year do we??

Last edited by tacbear; 1/8/10 at 10:06 AM.
Old 1/8/10, 10:24 AM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Well, one could make the argument that the only reason Texas beat Oklahoma this year is because of Sam Bradford's injury.
Old 1/8/10, 10:31 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by MARZ
Well, one could make the argument that the only reason Texas beat Oklahoma this year is because of Sam Bradford's injury.
Exactly.

But then again Bradford might have had a bad day and thrown 4 picks.

You can't "what if" in sports. Bama won on the field and thats it. I don't understand why people don't get that. A QB from Texas got hurt. Injuries happen. It's part of the game. It doesn't diminish from Bama's achievement. I know if Texas had won and Ingram and Richardson were both knocked out of the game early, it wouldn't make the win any less meaningful.

Texas had their chances and failed even without McCoy. They had a TD pulled back because of an illegal formation penalty. The WR's took 3 quarters to actually remember to put the stick-um on their gloves. Mack had a brain fart on that stupid last play of the half. But that happens in games. Bama won. Bama deserved to win. From a die hard Texas fan, I'm gonna say it one more time...

Congrats to Bama!

SEC running games are for real. And SEC defenses are punishing to say the least.
Old 1/8/10, 10:56 AM

Greg McElroy finished the night 6 of 11 for 58 yards and no touchdowns but no interceptions.

Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram ran for 116 yards and scored twice.

Ingram's 116-yard effort was his ninth 100-yard rushing output of the season.

Ingram celebrates his second touchdown, a one-yard run with two minutes remaining that gave Alabama a 10-point lead.

Trent Richardson scored twice and finished with 109 yards on 19 carries.

Instead of running out the clock and going in with a 17-6 halftime deficit, Texas
tried a shovel pass that Marcell Dareus swatted, intercepted and returned for a TD.

His 28-yard touchdown came with three seconds left before the half and gave Alabama a 24-6 advantage and more momentum.

Julio Jones had one catch for 23 yards.

Alabama's defense kept the Longhorns ball carriers bottled up for much of the night.

Eryk Anders set up a touchdown by strip sacking Texas backup quarterback Garrett Gilbert.

Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide hold up the championship hardware after disposing of
Texas in Pasadena to win Alabama's first national title since 1992. Saban became the first
coach in the AP poll era (since 1936) to win national titles at two different schools.
Old 1/8/10, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Sendero
It's now being reported that McElroy played with two cracked ribs. One look at Alabama's roster and team stats would tell you that depth makes a team, not stars.
Now with handy link to the ESPN story:

McElroy injured in SEC title game

At first, I was surprised that we're just finding out about this AFTER the BCS game. On the other hand, think what the Texas defense would have done if they knew about the injury...

Last edited by 1chocophile; 1/8/10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 1/8/10, 12:19 PM
Post *****

Now with handy link to the ESPN story:

McElroy injured in SEC title game

At first, I was surprised that we're just finding out about this AFTER the BCS game. On the other hand, think what the Texas defense would have done if they knew about the injury...
Yup. College injury reports are not at all required like the NFL. Could have been some useful information. He's a tough kid. But then again he's from Texas too.

Quick Reply: Alabama Wins 13th National Championship!