Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

2005 Tour de France

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/05, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hayburner@July 17, 2005, 7:54 AM
Scott...Dunno, I wish for his kids sake it would have worked out differently.As you and I know.there's no telling what goes on in somebody else's house. When Lance retires and is 34 he'll be faced with a huge "What now?".Talk about a midlife crisis waiting to happen... It'll probably end up like one of those Hollywood things.When he's not winning the tour anymore,he'll have to face inevitable changes. I don't see it being a "Vida Blue" story ,but some turmoil at least. I'd be surprised if Sheryl rode this out.Time will tell.
Actually it's already one of those "Hollywwod" things. And I think you are right on target with the midlife crisis thing and I doubt that this thing with Ms Crow will last. I just can't see him going on tour with her and hanging out with that crowd. Oh well, we will see. Meanwhile he's still got some more climbing to do today. He is simply awesome.
Old 7/17/05, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

How COOL was THAT!!!

Armstrong let Hincapie go with the break...and he WINS!!
On the day when you would think he would need George the most, he tells him to go with the break.Ya gotta think that is a big thank you for all he's done for Lance.
Geez... a professional sport that still has sportsmanship,how refreshing.

Will Armstrong win the tour and not win a stage? The last TT is his best bet.
Old 7/17/05, 11:24 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OT guys: Finished the tri with a 3:05:29. I'll have to wait and see my place out of the number of finishers, and the splits, but the swim felt good, and the bike had some pretty steep short climbs (Think San Francisco) and few fast spots I think I avg'd 17.3, but the run got me. I think I'm done with the Gatorade Endurnace. I think it has too many electrolytes. I had some pretty strong stomach cramps again, and this only happened when I switched to gatorade. Wierd, but I train with it, but it only gets to me in the races.

Fun race overall. The hills on the run seemed to go on forever.

I missed the TDF this AM too. I guess I'll catch the recap tonight.
Old 7/17/05, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mr-mstng@July 17, 2005, 10:27 AM
OT guys: Finished the tri with a 3:05:29. I'll have to wait and see my place out of the number of finishers, and the splits, but the swim felt good, and the bike had some pretty steep short climbs (Think San Francisco) and few fast spots I think I avg'd 17.3, but the run got me. I think I'm done with the Gatorade Endurnace. I think it has too many electrolytes. I had some pretty strong stomach cramps again, and this only happened when I switched to gatorade. Wierd, but I train with it, but it only gets to me in the races.

Rob....way to go! The bike sounds like it went pretty well.Runs are supposed to be torture,right??

What hydration did you switch from? I've had good luck with Accelerade followed by Endurox for recovery. Getting to be a lot of choices these days.

I think you'll get a kick out of today's stage.
Old 7/17/05, 04:18 PM
Cobra Member

Jack, yeah great stage today, and I am really happy for Hincapie. What a win for him!

And Rob, congrats on your tri. As you know, hills seem never to end.

Today Lance may have opened a can of whup hiney for his competition. I hope so, but there's still some racing yet to come. We've got a few more days to find out. The Tour is no stroll in the park and anything can happen, but he's looking good now.
Old 7/17/05, 09:03 PM
GTR Member

Bummer, I'm here at my friend's house in VA, as luck would have it, mo OLN. :notnice:
Old 7/17/05, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

I don't have OLN at all, let alone a TV, so I guess I'll have to tell you a story instead. In 1986 my beloved ex wife and I took our first bicycle tour in France. We chose to visit Brittany because it is by the sea and the trip ended near Mont St Michel, which is neither here nor there but it sets the scene.

One cold and rainy day I took a side street down a hill because I wanted to see an old church. On the way back up I saw a very large woman in a phone booth waving at me in an animated fashion so naturally I stopped to see what I could do. The door to the booth was jammed shut and she couldn't open it. After a few minutes of wrestling with it I couldn't open it either so I resorted to simple brute force and kicked it open, thereby securing her escape.

She couldn't thank me enough. Yes, I know it doesn't rank up there with hiding downed airmen from WWII and smuggling them to a night boat for a fast trip back to England but there is one French woman somewhere who may still tell tales of the "gallant" (she called me that!) American who freed her from her prison.

If we have another quiet day during the Tour I may tell you about the time I "rescued" an old Citroen Deux Chevaux, again in the rain, and again in Brittany. Or maybe I'll tell the tale of the train trip from Paris to Rennes to begin the trip. Or maybe at your request I'll stay OT. It's your call.

Stay well my friends.
Old 7/17/05, 09:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go Lance! :usa:
Old 7/18/05, 06:41 AM
GTR Member

Scott, thanks for the story!!! You gallant American! lol.
Old 7/18/05, 03:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by scottie1113@July 17, 2005, 9:37 PM

If we have another quiet day during the Tour I may tell you about the time I "rescued" an old Citroen Deux Chevaux, again in the rain, and again in Brittany. .

You do know that saving a Citroen is a treasonable offence in England??
Old 7/18/05, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Oops. I did not know that. My most humble apolgies. but the lady in the car sure appreciated it.
Old 7/19/05, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Another good day day for Lance. Let's hope he stays in the saddle and avoids any crashes in the next few days. If he can do that the Tour is his.
Old 7/19/05, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mr-mstng@July 17, 2005, 1:27 PM

HAVE YOU TRYED CYTOMAX? I think I spelled it correctly...... That use to be the only thing I could keep down .... when I raced MTM bikes
Old 7/20/05, 06:20 AM
GTR Member

Thanks guys I'm going to get the Accelerade and Cytomax when I get home. I think I'm just going to use normal gatorade cut with water or propel for the ride home, and my hammer gel.
Old 7/20/05, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

I read today that Ullrich still has hopes for the yellow jersey. Maybe in his dreams. Except for him it seems that almodt everyone else has conceded the Tour to Lance. I'm looking forward to his performance in the time trial.
Old 7/20/05, 07:31 PM
GTR Member

Unless something really bad happens, the yellow jersey is his.
Old 7/20/05, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Yep, it sure looks like it.
Old 7/22/05, 10:16 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Thought you guys might get a good kick out of this!

David Letterman's Top Ten List:
Top Ten Signs Lance Armstrong Is Getting Cocky

10. Goodbye Gatorade, hello Colt 45

9. For next two stages will be riding a unicycle

8. Is only giving 109%

7. Shouts, "Which one of you French bastards want my autograph?"

6. Yesterday rode twenty miles out of his way looking for girl of ill reputes

5. Already put the yellow championship jersey for auction on eBay

4. Lets fans ride on the handlebars

3. During stage 18, took in the noon showing of "Wedding Crashers"

2. On alternate days, substitutes his fat brother Dennis Armstrong

1. Took detour to nail Jude Law's nanny
Old 7/22/05, 10:33 AM
GTR Member

Old 7/22/05, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

To each his own, but I'm not a Letterman fan and didn't find those funny. Then again, I don't find most of his top 10 amusing. Don't worry guys, it's just me, the old curmudgeon.