Sports College and Pro Sports and Fantasy Leagues

2005 Tour de France

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/05, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tour starts today... looks to be a good race.
Old 7/2/05, 10:23 PM
Cobra Member

Mr. Armstrong had a great day today. He still looks like the man to beat this year. I just wish I could be in Paris when he rides in wearing the yellow jersey!

Yes, we still have 3 more weeks to go, but I'm optimistic. Go Lance!!!
Old 7/2/05, 10:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@July 2, 2005, 9:26 PM
Mr. Armstrong had a great day today. He still looks like the man to beat this year. I just wish I could be in Paris when he rides in wearing the yellow jersey!

Yes, we still have 3 more weeks to go, but I'm optomistic. Go Lance!!!
Today was a smackdown..Ullrich has some 'splainin' to do.
Old 7/2/05, 11:11 PM
Cobra Member

Yep. But he can't talk his way out of a deficit like that.

It's good to know that somebody besides me is following this. If Lance wins what is arguably the toughest sporting event in the world, for the 7th time no less, then maybe the media will forget about the NBA, the NFL, and MLB, at least for a moment.

I remember watching the day he dropped out of the TDF. It was a miserable day, cold and rainy, and he was all alone. Shortly thereafter he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. My word, what a comeback he has made since then!

He is the man.
Old 7/3/05, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@July 2, 2005, 10:14 PM
Yep. But he can't talk his way out of a deficit like that.

It's good to know that somebody besides me is following this. If Lance wins what is arguably the toughest sporting event in the world, for the 7th time no less, then maybe the media will forget about the NBA, the NFL, and MLB, at least for a moment.

I remember watching the day he dropped out of the TDF. It was a miserable day, cold and rainy, and he was all alone. Shortly thereafter he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. My word, what a comeback he has made since then!

He is the man.
Yeah,not much doubt he is one of the best ever and a really motivational story to a lot of people. The guy is only 33. Wonder what he'll be doing in 10 or 20 years?
In Outside magazine, he said he might run for Gov. of Texas.
Old 7/3/05, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

I wonder about that. In a recent quote he said he had no dreams about the White House, but maybe being governor of Texas will kindle further aspirations.

Nonetheless, he is an inspiration to me right now. No details, but they are cancer related. BTW, do you really fly the big jets?
Old 7/3/05, 10:18 PM
Cobra Member

Day 2. Down by the same 2 seconds. BFD. I expect no changes tomorrow, barring a major crash in the peloton. Let's see what Tuesday brings.
Old 7/3/05, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@July 3, 2005, 11:50 AM
I wonder about that. In a recent quote he said he had no dreams about the White House, but maybe being governor of Texas will kindle further aspirations.

Nonetheless, he is an inspiration to me right now. No details, but they are cancer related. BTW, do you really fly the big jets?

Hope he is as good at politics as he is at riding bikes.And maybe Arnold will end up being a better Governor than actor,he's learning.

Yup...i fly jets. B-767/757s to the East coast. Been doing it so long I am untrainable for real work. You a cyclist?
Old 7/3/05, 11:24 PM
Cobra Member

Arnold's got a long way to go. I know. I live here.

Yep, I've been known to ride a few centuries and have taken two bike tours in France in my more affluent days. My last bike was a Klein Quantum. It was the best bike I've ever had.
Old 7/3/05, 11:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@July 3, 2005, 10:27 PM
Arnold's got a long way to go. I know. I live here.

Yep, I've been known to ride a few centuries and have taken two bike tours in France in my more affluent days. My last bike was a Klein Quantum. It was the best bike I've ever had.
It is a small world...I'm just down the road in Lincoln. Arnold is an old friend of my wife's family.My father-in-law picked him up at the airport when he came over for his first body building competion and hung out with him in the 60's and 70's.

Riding centuries will tell a person a fair amount about themselves, huh? A century usually tells me I should have trained a little more. Cycling is such an oddly addictive form of suffering.

Was the Quantum a time trial/triathlon geometry or do I have it confused with something else?..I know they had awesome paint and build quality.
Right now I've got a Fondriest steel/carbon bike, pretty comfy for a Clydesdale like me.

Day 4 is going to be the team time trial ,I think. The boss should pickup more time then.
Old 7/4/05, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

My Quantum was a classic road bike. It replaced a vintage Peugeot PX 10 that I had for over 20 years until it was stolen. It served me well and carried mre through numerous biathlons, triathlons, and centuries, not to mention countless recreational rides through the Southern California countryside when I lived there.

In spite of what you may have read about the harshness of an aluminum frame, the Klein wasn't like that at all. Smooth and effortless, very comfortable. And the metallic burgundy paint was simply beautiful.

I like Arnold, but I didn't like what he chopped out of the education budget. Oh well. Other than, he's a refreshing change. Oh, were you around during the Governor Moonbeam era? I'll say no more....

And I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's time trial. I have a feeling that he and his team are going to stink it up big time and try to put the big hurt on the competition.

Enjoy your 4th!
Old 7/4/05, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

My Quantum was a classic road bike. It replaced a vintage Peugeot PX 10 that I had for over 20 years until it was stolen. It served me well and carried me through numerous biathlons, triathlons, and centuries, not to mention countless recreational rides through the Southern California countryside when I lived there.

In spite of what you may have read about the harshness of an aluminum frame, the Klein wasn't like that at all. Smooth and effortless, very comfortable. And the metallic burgundy paint was simply beautiful.

I like Arnold, but I didn't like what he chopped out of the education budget. Oh well. Other than, he's a refreshing change. Oh, were you around during the Governor Moonbeam era? I'll say no more....

And I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's time trial. I have a feeling that he and his team are going to stink it up big time and try to put the big hurt on the competition.

Enjoy your 4th!
Old 7/4/05, 09:08 AM
Cobra Member

You probably already are aware of this, but if you want to follw the race on your PC check out www.letour.fr for live coverage. They have an English language option if you don't speak French.
Old 7/4/05, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

A rather uneventful day today but Lance avoided the crashes and should be fine tomorrow. I have a feeling that Zabriskie will have to hand over the yellow jersey to Lance after the team time trial. The team is just too strong for it to be otherwise. I'm not sure how I feel about his wearing the yellow so early in the race, should it happen, but I have no doubt that he and the team have talked about this. As the French say, Allez y, M Armstrong!!
Old 7/4/05, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hayburner@July 3, 2005, 12:45 PM
In Outside magazine, he said he might run for Gov. of Texas.

Don't know about the rest of Texas, but in Austin the guy can do no wrong. People here treat him like a God.
Old 7/4/05, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@July 4, 2005, 8:11 AM
You probably already are aware of this, but if you want to follw the race on your PC check out www.letour.fr for live coverage. They have an English language option if you don't speak French.

Scott...I usually watch OLN when they start in the A.M. Then the kids get up,I get them fed and watch the finish. Phil Liggett gets pretty wound up. July won't be the same without Lance.

The Kleins are a great aluminum bike. Specialized S-works sort of gave alum. a bad name...I had one for a season and it about shook my teeth out.Went to a Serotta and now the Fondriest. I've settled in, but don't think I'll be able to match your 20 years with the Peugeot.
Old 7/4/05, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

I'm not familiar with the Fondriest. I guess it's time for a web search.
Old 7/4/05, 04:37 PM
Cobra Member

I found it. Nice ride.
Old 7/4/05, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by scottie1113@July 4, 2005, 3:40 PM
I found it. Nice ride.
Thanks. It's steel,but really thin ...weighs 16lbs.
It will go WAY faster than I can pedal it. A guy named Rumsas rode one to 3rd place in the tour acouple of years back.The French busted his wife for having EPO in the trunk of her car.

Big day tomorrow,huh?
Old 7/4/05, 10:52 PM
Cobra Member

No fireworks for you tonight? Me neither. I can hear the detonations from the nearbt fairgrounds but I didn't want to brave the crowds. Just a book and some classical music to keep me company tonight.

16 punds. Amazing, and I'll bet the ride is sweet. Actually, just about any bike will go faster than I can pedal these days.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to tomorrow.