Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Tidbits from Shelby American

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/05, 11:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I visited Shelby American in Las Vegas this week, and took a tour of the shop. I went back the next day and got a private tour, learning a bit more. Maybe nothing new, but wanted to share. The guys I talked to seemed ticked about how the dealers allowed the Ford GT to skyrocket in price, and just as upset about speculation on the GT500. They were downright excited, however, about the CS6, the new supercharged V6, 350 hp Shelby Mustang. They want regular people to be able to afford it. I got to look at the prototype in the shop, and must say I liked it better in person than in the pictures I saw on here. The front clip and grille had been removed, so I didn't get to inspect that, but the hood and engine looked great. The hood had a plastic insert in the rearward facing scoop, but I was told that it will be functional in the production car. I got to meet the guy that supposedly designed the hood, and told him that response on the internet had generally been favorable on the hood. They acted genuinely interested in what I (and we) thought about the design. I only dinged it on the side stripe with the monster Cobra and billboard SHELBY letters. He said they actually had people wanting ONLY the stripe! Can't imagine that.
He asked how I seemed to know so much about the car already, and I told him about this website. Unfortunately, that made him a bit more careful about what he told me. He wouldn't allow pictures, and even asked, "Hey, I'm not going to read this on the internet, now, am I?" Well, he didn't really give away any secrets, but he did say that the parts of the package will eventually be priced separately, so if you just want the hood, it will be available. The Stage 1 is supposed to be ~$5500 on the customer supplied V6 car. 2005's and verts are ok, too. Stage 2 is ~$15,000, and gets you a Shelby serial number and 350 hp. The flyers they had said labor was not included. I was told that final labor costs were still being worked out, but probably under 40 hours, uncluding the supercharger and paint. Seems too low to me, so maybe I misunderstood? I was also told that you could bring your GT in to have it made into a genuine Shelby as well. Those details were also being worked on. The West Coast Customs GT (the one supposedly limited to 25 total) is not related to what Shelby American will do for your GT. Two different deals altogether. I asked about them being able to meet demand, and they said that they could make all of the CS6's that people ordered. (They only have 200 orders so far.) I asked what they expected demand to be, but they weren't sure what to expect. I asked if they could make 10,000 in a year, and was told definitely not, so there might not be one for everyone who wants one afterall. Hard to say. Those I spoke to said that Shelby has LOTS of new projects in the works, and that we are going to be very pleased with future products, but of course I was given no details. Everyone there was nice, and the showroom features the very first Cobra ever built, a Series 1, old Cobra number 98, a Ford GT test mule, a '66 Shelby vert., and several others. It's worth your time to visit if you're in Vegas, and less crowded than the strip!
Old 12/10/05, 07:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by backafter20@December 10, 2005, 12:07 AM
I was also told that you could bring your GT in to have it made into a genuine Shelby as well. Those details were also being worked on. The West Coast Customs GT (the one supposedly limited to 25 total) is not related to what Shelby American will do for your GT. Two different deals altogether.

Very interesting... I will be interested to see what they offer, in case the GT500 turns out to be a disappointment.
Old 12/10/05, 07:18 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I was also told that you could bring your GT in to have it made into a genuine Shelby as well
Good grief...this Shelby stuff is getting stupid now. A GENUWWWWINE SHELBY
HAHAHAHAHA

just shoot me now
Old 12/10/05, 08:15 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by backafter20@December 10, 2005, 2:07 AM
... They want regular people to be able to afford it...
... Stage 2 is ~$15,000, and gets you a Shelby serial number and 350 hp...
... They only have 200 orders so far...
That's close to $40K for a premium V6. A premium GT adding a CAI, catback, a tune, the GEF Racing body kit, wheels and tires would have the performance, looks, and be thousands less. It doesn't make sense unless the Shelby stamp and the S/C bragging rights are worth the difference to the buyer.

A few years ago I read an article in which Carroll Shelby was interviewed. His opinion at the time with respect to tuner cars was they were a hard sale and had no great prospects to make significant money in a flooded market. I wonder what changed his mind?
Old 12/13/05, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

A good point, Bullitt. It's still 40K with labor, primarily for the Shelby name, but there is a lot that comes with it. You could still probably do better with a modified GT for less. What is Shelby's name worth, anyhow? Much of what he has touched in the past (not all) has turned to gold, and he is not getting any younger (83 next month), so how do you judge what is worthwhile and what is not? I would personally like to have something with his name on it before he's gone, but I doubt that'll ever happen. Afterwards, it's even more unlikely as prices will probably go up. And burningman, I don't fault the guy for cashing in whenever he can just by using his name. Wouldn't you? As long as there is a demand, Carroll won't be hurtin'. I also would think that a Shelby serial number, recognized by SAAC, wouldn't hurt the value of a vehicle, either. SA said that they would pretty much build each car to suit the buyer, so there may be some unique cars in the works for future collectors. To each his own...
Old 12/13/05, 03:55 PM

40K for a CS6, sorry, can't see it, you're right, get a GT and mod the heck out of it. I love the thought of a performance mustang, but it's just not worth it. Besides, most know what he did to get the 6 to run at 350, I think I read new pistions, 8.8 rear end, SC....most people know those components have to be changed out to get any good power out of the 6. It's just not worth the Shelby name.

Just my opinion. I would be more interested in a Steeda 6 or Roush 6, I know the Steeda one exists. A coworker bought one, serialized and all, I am trying to get the specs from her.
Old 12/13/05, 04:04 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by burningman@December 10, 2005, 8:21 PM
Good grief...this Shelby stuff is getting stupid now. A GENUWWWWINE SHELBY
HAHAHAHAHA

just shoot me now
lol yeah i thought the same thing when i heard you could bring in your 1967 mustang and get the elenor kit and be genuwwine shelby as you call it.