Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Dealers to encourage bidding wars on Shelby GT500s

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/05, 01:57 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found this post over on Stangnet. Interesting, though a little suspect me thinks (though there was another post that said something similar about dealerships setting up bidding wars on alloted Shelby stock):

I was first on the list to order a Shelby in March 2005 at my local dealer in West Tennessee. After waiting all this time I recieved a call from them on Monday 11/21/05 telling me they are getting 2 cars in and the fastback will be $45,000 and the convertible will be $50,000.These will be the starting prices and highest bidder will get them.You bid on what they get, no special orders.

I proceeded to tell him what i thought about the pricing and their method of selling them and he told me this is the way Ford said they were to sell. He said this was not a dealership dicision. I also let him know that i will not be participating and if i do buy one i will wait and get a good used one in several years. In light of this, a new Corvette is looking real good. I own several other older Chevys and a 2002 ZL1. This would have been my first Mustang.

This is my first post,but have been reading here for several months. I thought everyone would be interested in what i learned this week.
Old 11/29/05, 08:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was high on the list for the GT500 at my local dealership as well. My salesperson told me that I will get a call and basically will be asked how much will I be willing to pay. They then will call the next person on the list and tell them how much the vehicle is up to and what will they bid. So on, so on and so on. Blah blah blah. I guess it's Merry Christmas to all of us FORD customers from our local FORD dealers. Well, we're all gonna get scrooged from FORD, again.
Old 11/29/05, 09:02 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 29, 2005, 1:00 AM
Found this post over on Stangnet. Interesting, though a little suspect me thinks (though there was another post that said something similar about dealerships setting up bidding wars on alloted Shelby stock):

That guy is good man!! Hopefully everyone else will have this same attitude...

Could it be, that Ford will actually force all the GT500's to sit on lots so long, people wont even pay them $40K? I doubt it.. But atleast if everyone remains to be a smart buyer, and doesnt get too overly excited about a 5.4L Supercharged Mustang, we can bring some sanity back to this situation..

Enlight of that, I feel based on the current situation in regards to Fords overall ability to execute against the Japanse Market, there may not be that many GT500's... Also, whats worse, is if someone does pay too much money for the car, and Ford does release a N/A version of the 5.4L and call it an SE, how will you live with yourself buying a GT500 for $10K to $20K over MSRP? It really appears the GT500 is not the way to go afterall.. I believe the best selling Mustang will be an SE with a N/A 5.4L...If it ever happens..
Old 11/29/05, 09:17 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts

Old chinese saying:
Most honolable Fold dealels will have picnic with most enthusiastic Shelby dummies!!!

Belly, belly good!!!.

Old 11/29/05, 09:48 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You know, that could be a public relations nightmare for Ford if they did that. I'm with MSP I'll just wait a few years and buy USED, because you know someone will get bored.

Its not like they're making 20 of 'em, they'll be maiing thousdands, so it's just Dealers be greedy with the first few they get.

Jerks.
Old 11/29/05, 09:52 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I remember when the Mach1s and Terminators were out... it wasn't quite THAT bad...but the 'we won't deal...' attitude, because 'they aren't making that many'

Rrrrrrrrrright.
I went back to those same dealers...and saw those cars sit and sit and sit and sit for months....
One dealer let it go for cost after a Mach1 was sitting in the sept when the 05s came out.
Sounds like a good deal, until you realize that its now a 2 year old car ...

Those same dealerships will get nailed....
I'm sure there are dumb people that will buy...but not all will...
Old 11/29/05, 09:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That's Ford can't tell the dealer he has to set up bidding to sell the car. The dealer is just trying to blame Ford for his own greediness. :notnice:
Old 11/29/05, 10:05 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Boomer@November 29, 2005, 11:55 AM
I remember when the Mach1s and Terminators were out... it wasn't quite THAT bad...but the 'we won't deal...' attitude, because 'they aren't making that many'

Rrrrrrrrrright.
I went back to those same dealers...and saw those cars sit and sit and sit and sit for months....
One dealer let it go for cost after a Mach1 was sitting in the sept when the 05s came out.

Those same dealerships will get nailed....
I'm sure there are dumb people that will buy...but not all will...
I got mine for X-Plan and could have chosen Cash back or 0% financing on top of that. I chose the 0% ... I bought December 6th, 2003. Some people on Mach1registry were VERY UPSET when the later bunch got theres for so much less. people were paying 5-6K more then sticker for it.

By waiting a year, I got one fairly inexpensively and Orange to boot
Old 11/29/05, 10:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@November 29, 2005, 12:08 PM
I got mine for X-Plan and could have chosen Cash back or 0% financing on top of that. I chose the 0% ... I bought December 6th, 2003. Some people on Mach1registry were VERY UPSET when the later bunch got theres for so much less. people were paying 5-6K more then sticker for it.

By waiting a year, I got one fairly inexpensively and Orange to boot
Which exactly the way to go.

I'm not certain why people have a problem with markups. Yeah, I'd like to see it sell for MSRP or lower, but the dealer and Ford doesn't owe anyone any price concessions.

This isn't an item you have to have, it's a luxury item. Dealers want to up the price, it's a free market. Those who aren't the "have to have it now" group will wait a bit and pick one up later for a decent price.
Old 11/29/05, 10:57 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I guess you can't blame them for trying...

With a whole bunch of dealers I talked to saying 'you won't get an 05 GT for xplan...period'
I walked away...
Oh look I got Xplan
haha

I guess they have to use the markup to pay for the interest they pay on the car for having it sit so long...because of markups
Old 11/29/05, 04:20 PM
Closet American

Maybe they're charging by weight.
Old 11/29/05, 04:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@November 29, 2005, 12:08 PM
.... Some people on Mach1registry were VERY UPSET when the later bunch got theres for so much less.....
I'm one of those that waited and got a steal of a deal.

Good things come to those who wait...
Old 11/29/05, 04:57 PM
GT Member

Have no problem owning an '08. Anyway, that will give Ford a year to deal with the recalls.
Old 11/29/05, 05:32 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Boomer@November 29, 2005, 10:55 AM

Rrrrrrrrrright.

Same deal here, the local Ford dealer got in 3 - 03 Mach 1s. They immediately sold the 1st @ 5K over sticker and thought that they could sell the other 2 @ that price too.

But the other 2 Mach 1s sat on their lot for months. Every week I'd see them advertised the local newspaper for $5K over sticker. After 6 months they sold the 2nd Mach 1 @ sticker (no markup). They finally sold the 3rd Mach 1 at a big discount + rebates after it sat on their lot for a year and the 04s were out.
Old 11/29/05, 05:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

How about we change the title to this thread to "CUSTOMERS TELL FORD TO GO POUND SAND, REFUSE TO PAY INSANE DEALER MARK UPS"

If we don't pay it, then they can't charge it. It's as simple as that!!!!!
Old 11/29/05, 06:01 PM
Cobra Member

I have a hard time believing that this idea came from ford. What's in it for ford if the dealers charge huge mark-ups? nothing.

This Idea came from greedy dealers I'm guessing.
Old 11/29/05, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@November 29, 2005, 10:57 AM
That's Ford can't tell the dealer he has to set up bidding to sell the car. The dealer is just trying to blame Ford for his own greediness. :notnice:
[B]Absolutely![B] I, for one, won't bite.
Old 11/29/05, 06:23 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by THRUST_@November 29, 2005, 5:04 PM
I have a hard time believing that this idea came from ford. What's in it for ford if the dealers charge huge mark-ups? nothing.

This Idea came from greedy dealers I'm guessing.
Agreed.. Ford does not make any money on the resell value of the car, at all.. So why would Ford insist on dealers bidding the cars out? The real problem is, this is really the very first year for the new Mustangs.. Every Mustang that comes out from now on which is somewhat special, dealers think they can over charge for the car... Guys that can buy and order on Xplan thats great.. But its going to be quite some time before you will find a reasonably priced GT500...

For me, I will be happy with a N/A 5.4L.. I dont actually need the GT500 label.. Its like this, you have got Saleen selling his bone stock Saleen for $40K.. Stage 2 and 3 are above $50K...

Dealers are selling these cars amazingly, and most likley feel, if we can sell GT's dressed up with Saleen body kits for 50K with 4.6L's, we sure as heck can sell a Shelby GT500 with a 5.4L Supercharged motor for more..

Lets face it guys, its the saleens and Roushes which have placed the GT500 in a position where it must be had for extreme top dollar... I say we just call this whole thing off, and wait for the SE.. We'll just let the GT500 sit and make the storefront look pretty...

When you really think about it, it is the Saleens and Roushes who have screwed this up... What they should have done is called the car a Cobra.. This way, money wise it does not have to be sold for more than a SuperCharged Saleen, which is $50K+... If the car was just simply comparable to an 03-04 Cobra, dealers would understand that being ridiculous is no needed... But the fact that its called a GT500 screws it up...

Now if Shelby were to take these Cobra's from Ford, and rebadged them as GT500's, then we all know $40K would be out of the question... Shelby could have added some other things to the car, and turned the screws up to 500RWHP.. So this car would truley be a real Cobra, with an aftermarket Shelby package with 500RWHP, and easily sell to some for $60K... The problem occured when Ford got invovled with trying to sell a Mustang with an aftermarket car fabricators name.. they should have left it simple and called it a Cobra... We would then be ask to simply pay $36K.. The cobra's shipped to Shelby and renamed Shelby Cobra would be sold for $60k.. We would all easily accept this and not complain, because atleast we got a Cobra for $36K... So if Brad from TheMustangSource owns a GT500 worth $60K so be it.. He'll post pictures for us atleast!
Old 11/29/05, 08:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@November 29, 2005, 10:57 AM

Unfortunately, I think most dealers will take the same approach until "the fools with money" are soon parted. The rest of us will wait patiently until the next SE or until the GT500 comes down out of the stratosphere. No markups for me, greedy dealers... As much as I love the GT500, if this is the method Ford and their dealers employ for selling the car, I hope every single one produced rusts on the dealers lots.
Old 11/29/05, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Its is amazing what people will pay for new cars. After talking to salemen trying to buy my 05 GT I have heard many stories of crazy prices for new Ford models.The dealers charge what the market will bear or idiots will pay.

I heard the same story when looking for my 05, no X-plan.I found a dealrship that would let me order exactly what I wanted on x-plan, after a lot of searching. Most dealers were adding 25k "Market Value" to the MSRPs of 05 GT.s I heard similar stories for the Thunderbirds when they first came out also, and of course crazy prices for the Ford GT, 200k and up.

I am sure the GT500 prices will amaze everyone, and we will hear of unbelievalbe crazy prices asked for and paid for. Think of it thsi way, if an original 68 Shelby GT500 can sell for over 100k, and they have, what is a brand new( not 30 some odd years old) Shelby GT500 worth, with up to date performance and more HP than any of the originals ever had? And even more important what will this new 07 GT500 be worth when Carrol Chelby is gone ( he is what in his 80's)?
If I had the money, which off course I dont, I would buy one some how, preserve it ( I have heard of some sort of plastic shrink wrap type deal), and wait. Probably drive it occationally on weekends. And when Carrol is gone in some twenty some years, that car would be worth crazy money, if not more than the original 65 - 69 cars. I gaurentee more than a few people will buy these cars for future investment alone. Carrol cant live forever, and when he is gone, no more "Shebly's"!!

Quick Reply: Dealers to encourage bidding wars on Shelby GT500s