Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Things may be Changing at Saleen...

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/07, 05:22 PM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Things may be Changing at Saleen...

...now that Steve Saleen has announced his retirement.

Here the Press release:

(And it looks like Viper assembly may now occur at SSV facility where the
GT work has ended.)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Saleen Media Bureau
(949) 597-4900
pr@saleen.com
STEVE SALEEN RETIRES FROM SALEEN INC.
~Saleen Continues Legacy as the “Go-To” Brand for OEM Performance Projects~
IRVINE, CALIF., MAY 14, 2007

– Steve Saleen, founder and vice chairman of the board at
Saleen Inc., today announced his official retirement from the company’s executive team. After
years of planning, Mr. Saleen will take a greater step back from the company’s day-to-day
operations to act as corporate spokesperson and ambassador for the brand.
“I have a vested interest in the company’s future and intend to remain involved,” said Steve
Saleen. “I take great pride in knowing I have assembled a team of the most talented and
innovative professionals in the industry. Each person at Saleen has helped me achieve my
dream and will help to continue my legacy into the next generation of Saleen products and
services.”
As founder and a major shareholder in the company, Mr. Saleen will continue to influence
product design and development activities, as well as its branding strategies and promotional
efforts.
OEM PROJECTS
Saleen Inc. has experienced tremendous growth in the past few years, producing nearly 5,000
vehicles in 2006 alone. Future manufacturing plans include multiple vehicle lines of Fordderived
vehicles (Saleen S281, Heritage and S331 Sport Trucks), as well as the S7 Twin Turbo,
the world’s fastest production car. After tremendous successes in the design and production of
the Ford GT for Ford Motor Company, Saleen Inc. will soon announce new original equipment
manufacturer (OEM) programs with both Ford Motor Company and DaimlerChrysler to begin in
spring 2007.
“Saleen has become a name synonymous with performance,” said Dan Reiner, chairman of
Saleen Inc. “It makes a lot of sense to let Steve take on an auxiliary role to maintain his vision
and continue building the world’s greatest performance products. Steve’s many years of hard
work have provided a great foundation for the company in the automotive industry, propelling
the company beyond Saleen-branded products to become an industry leader in the
performance category.”
- more -
ABOUT SALEEN
Since the company’s inception in 1984, Saleen has produced over 12,000 complete and EPAcertified
vehicles, more than any other specialty automobile manufacturer. In addition, Saleen
has equipped more than 600,000 vehicles worldwide, further emphasizing their capabilities and
commitment to excellence.
A nine-time Manufacturers’ Champion in GT sports car racing, Saleen manufactures the
American super car — the Saleen S7, as well as the S281 Mustang, S331 Sport Truck and the
Saleen/Parnelli Jones Limited Edition Mustang. Saleen’s manufacturing facilities are located in
Irvine, California and Troy, Michigan. The Michigan facility has just completed all paint and
assembly of the Ford GT as a special project for Ford Motor Company.
###

Old 5/17/07, 11:29 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Retirement?

Sounds like someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Old 5/17/07, 01:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Hopefully Ford.
Old 5/17/07, 02:09 PM
GTR Member

In a way, this change happened back in the 90's as the real power
at Saleen has belonged to a few other folks.

Steve Saleen basically sold the business to Tony Johnson, big auto parts mfgr--Hidden Creek Industries, who ran Saleen as a tax loss to offset his profitable companies.
Also gave his son a chance to drive racecars (anybody remember Ron Johnson driving/crashing Saleens).

A few years a ago, Johnson sold the Company to a holding company called
Hancock Park Associates. They buy struggles businesses and either turn them around or strip them and sell off the assets.

It seems like they are going for the first option and keep Saleen going.
HPA folks make the final decisions, so Steve has sort of been a front man for a few years now.
Other Saleen executives are being being let go too, so there may be more changes to come.

The deal to assemble Vipers for Dodge is a big move beyond the Ford world, keeps Saleen from being totally dependent on one car company.
Old 5/17/07, 02:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow first Roush sells out now Saleen.

Roush-Chevys
Saleen-Dodge

What's next??

Old 5/17/07, 02:27 PM
GTR Member

Just came across this bit, looks like things might not
be on the best terms with this parting.

From Steve Saleen to employees of Saleen, Inc.:

May 14, 2007

RE: My Resignation

To All Employees of Saleen, Inc.:

It is with heavy heart that I announce to you that I have tendered my resignation to the Board of Directors for Saleen, Inc. While I no longer remain involved in the company’s day-to-day affairs, as a longtime shareholder in the business I fully intend on supporting the company in every way possible. I believe in what we have built together, and I want to see the company continue on its journey of success.

Saleen will remain managed by its Board of Directors, and there are many seasoned professionals on the management team. I have no reason to believe, nor should you, that my personal decision to pursue other challenges at this time will alter the company’s mission of success. I encourage each of you to continue with your loyal dedication to Saleen. This company has been my life’s work and the realization of so many of my aspirations. Together, we have pioneered an industry and proved that anything is possible. However, as the company has been redefined my efforts are no longer best utilized.

It is important to me that you know that I have tremendously enjoyed working with each and every one of you. You have helped me build my dream, and I consider all of you to be the spirit of Saleen. I take great pride in knowing that I was involved in assembling a team of the most talented and most visionary professional this industry has to offer. Again, it has been a pleasure working with you. This organization has great potential and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Steve Saleen

Also, there's a rumor the Saleen and his head engineer, Bill Tally, are
looking into a new performance car venture.
Old 5/17/07, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Doubt it.

Originally Posted by Blip
Just came across this bit, looks like things might not
be on the best terms with this parting.

Also, there's a rumor the Saleen and his head engineer, Bill Tally, are
looking into a new performance car venture.
Old 5/17/07, 04:18 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Resigning from the company he built must be heartbreaking for Steve Saleen. I truly feel sorry for him.
Old 5/18/07, 03:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Also sounds to me that someone made him a good offer. Hopefully Ford to be their head of SVT, but I don't think Ford could afford him...
Old 5/18/07, 02:16 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saleen will remain managed by its Board of Directors
Very strange situation when a company is managed by it's board.

That would imply Saleen was forced out because he wanted to do things one way and the board wanted them done another way,
Old 5/18/07, 03:58 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They really should be careful. In Spider-man 1 they did that to Norman Osborn... and he ended up killing the whole board of directors.

Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself but who knows?
Old 5/19/07, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Wow first Roush sells out now Saleen.
Roush-Chevys
Saleen-Dodge

What's next??
Ford's future is questionable. Plus, since Saleen first started up in '84, a lot of players have jumped (back) in the fray to customize Mustangs: Shelby, Roush, Steeda, Foose, etc. So it makes sense that Saleen would pair up with other manufacturers to remain viable.

Hell, I bleed blue. Since I got my driver's license, I've only owned one car that's not a Ford. And I think Saleen has made some of the most amazing Mustangs ever. But I understand Saleen gotta do whatever it can to stay in business...
Old 5/20/07, 07:45 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elburrito99
So it makes sense that Saleen would pair up with other manufacturers to remain viable....
We have a saying for this:

When a mouse dances with an elephant, the mouse needs to be extremely careful. One miss-step by the elephant could be fatal to the mouse.

I suspect that for Saleen to be a viable company in the future, besides being very careful, Saleen needs to dance with more than one elephant. Look no further than what Roush has do to be able to survive & thrive.
Old 5/29/07, 03:15 PM
GT Member

When news of Saleen building the 08 Camaro for Transformers first came out, didnt Steve Saleen mention something like the company was considering working on Camaros like they do with Mustangs?

Maybe someone can find the quote somewhere.
Old 6/6/07, 03:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Roush-Chevys
Info please.
Old 6/7/07, 02:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Hmm... So Steve Saleen leaves building performance cars to sell Chinese trucks in Mexico...

um ok... I really dont even know what to say

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/07/s...e-cars-to-u-s/
Old 6/7/07, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05-1947
Info please.
http://store.roushperformance.com/
Old 7/4/07, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05retro
Hmm... So Steve Saleen leaves building performance cars to sell Chinese trucks in Mexico...

um ok... I really dont even know what to say

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/07/s...e-cars-to-u-s/
They call him Steve Shareen in China
Old 7/4/07, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by toolttime
They call him Steve Shareen in China

zing!
Old 7/4/07, 06:56 PM
GT Member