Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Shelby by SVT for real or rumor

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/05, 08:39 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@March 20, 2005, 5:43 AM
Mystic Cobra posted this over in The Rumor Mill.

Adrenalin Artice.

Adrenalin showcases Ford's plans to produce in 2007 the first sport truck offering the combination of uncompromised utility, four-passenger capability and true performance. Along with the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 - which will go on sale in 2006
Notice it calls it the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500. No mention of SVT in the name. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but, that is interesting.
Hey, do i win a prize for guessing right, if this is what it is called?

And like i said, the R&T interview sort of stated that SVT was becoming more of an in-house team. And, less of an in-the-public name. They will do the design and build of the performance models, but won't have their badges on the cars. Sort of like Chrysler's PVO (i think that is what it's called). They are in charge of all the SRT stuff, but you don't see a PVO badge on the back of the Viper.

Also, i love Shelby and all the great Mustangs that were built under his name back in the '60's. I would also love a new Mustang with the Shelby name on it. However, his recent track record shows that he doesn't really build cars anymore. He consults and attaches his name to certain vehicles (Series 1, GT-500E), but he doesn't actually own and operate a tuning business anymore. So, any car that comes from Ford with the Shelby name attached to it will be an in-house (SVT) designed and built project. To be honest, i prefer this. I would rather have my Shelby be fully warrantied by Ford Motor Company. Also, after having owned an SVT vehicle, i trust their design and build quality on a modern car.

So, i would be happy to see the name be the Shelby Cobra GT-500. This would put the Shelby and Cobra names both on the top Mustang from Ford, and it would leave space below it for a special edition model like a new Mach 1 or Boss a little further down the road. But, i wouldn't hold my breath in expectation of TWO cars from Ford on Wednesday. They aren't going to undermine the sales of their new Shelby\Cobra with a second more affordable SE model. No matter how bad some of us want one.

There's my $.02, or more like $.10 with a post that big.
Old 3/23/05, 08:28 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by anaki@March 20, 2005, 12:00 AM
I wish I could say, but I made a promise. Pepole have already been fired over some of the leaks made on the internet.
So what was the scoop?