Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Shelby GT 500 vs. 2007 Camaro ZL-1

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/05, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Flyinlow@June 3, 2005, 9:04 AM
Lutz did another article right after this one because the media had mis-construed his statement. He said they axed the plan to use the Zeta chassis, but the chassis would still be developed and used by Holden. He also said that this did not preclude a plan to develop a RWD platform for north america.
Hi

Will be this article the one you mention of April 13 2005 :

Camaro clone on GM's wish list
Automaker works on rear-wheel-drive platform for new generation of vehicles.
By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

General Motors Corp. is working on a new rear-wheel-drive platform that could be the basis for a vehicle reminiscent of the departed Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird sport coupes.

"We're going to take another look at high performance rear-wheel drive," GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said Tuesday at the Society of Automotive Engineers' 2005 World Congress.

In March, GM suspended plans to bring out a new generation of rear-wheel-drive vehicles for the North American market, citing uncompetitive costs.

The new platform -- known internally as Zeta -- served as the underpinnings for the popular Buick Velite concept car that debuted on the 2004 auto show circuit.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../B01-148937.htm

Regards.
Old 6/3/05, 02:25 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

a shelby is well a SHELBY and a camero is just a camero no matter how sick it is...we already know that the Shelby will be bad hiney and we dont know if GM will get the camero right or not and since it seems that everyone is having a hard time with getting these rereleases right, like the GTO and the new messed up Charger, the Camero will probably be a complete loser.
Old 6/3/05, 02:31 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone mentioned maybe the new Challenger based on the 300 platform??

Oh that would be classic - another car to line up with the 300, the Magnum, the and the Charger and marvel at how they all look so darn much alike?!!!
Old 6/3/05, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by O5GT@June 1, 2005, 7:30 PM
there will be no camaro
Uh...your last name Lutz??
Old 6/3/05, 03:33 PM

Given the Mustang's success, I think GM would be foolish not to bring out a new F-car, but then again, GM and the word "foolish"...

Were they to do so, I'd base my decision on which is the better car. And I would hope they would cause I think the Stang could use a bit of price/content pressure that it doesn't really have now -- all that about competition improving the breed and whatnot.
Old 6/3/05, 03:42 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

they probably will come out with something seeing that they will try to capitalize on how well the Mustang was recieved but they will screw it up and it will be as lame as the Charger, who the heck came up with the idea of a four door Charger, I went and test drove it yesterday to check it out, it looks better in person than on tv or mags but thats not saying much, its still ugly, like the back half of a magnum and the front end of the 300C with the headlights being deisgned by someone on crack....overall way lame car, uglier than the stang, slightly more power (and thats the HEMI version), slower because its heavier, did I mention 4 doors, and costs more, lame, the SRT-8 version will have some ***** but still ugly and cost more than the next Cobra. GM WILL botch the next one.

Now if they were to come out with something nearly as cool as that drawing that student came up with of what the Camero should look like and even backed it up with a halfway decent powerplant I would buy it, but I am thinking a fourdoor version of the Cobalt is what they will come out with.
Old 6/3/05, 08:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rrobello@June 3, 2005, 3:45 PM
they probably will come out with something seeing that they will try to capitalize on how well the Mustang was recieved but they will screw it up and it will be as lame as the Charger, who the heck came up with the idea of a four door Charger, I went and test drove it yesterday to check it out, it looks better in person than on tv or mags but thats not saying much, its still ugly, like the back half of a magnum and the front end of the 300C with the headlights being deisgned by someone on crack....overall way lame car, uglier than the stang, slightly more power (and thats the HEMI version), slower because its heavier, did I mention 4 doors, and costs more, lame, the SRT-8 version will have some ***** but still ugly and cost more than the next Cobra. GM WILL botch the next one.

Now if they were to come out with something nearly as cool as that drawing that student came up with of what the Camero should look like and even backed it up with a halfway decent powerplant I would buy it, but I am thinking a fourdoor version of the Cobalt is what they will come out with.
I love the Charger, and it seems like you keep repeating the ugly comment. I think the car looks great, I have seen one in person and it looks nothing like a Magnum or a 300 other than the crosshair grille that all Dodge's have. What's wrong with 4 doors? Actually makes it more practical. It was never meant to compete against the Mustang, so there is no sense on comparing it to it. The Charger replaced the Intrepid in Dodge's lineup. So compare the Charger to the Five Hundred and tell me who wins that contest.
Old 6/4/05, 07:35 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't find the link, but the last article I saw about the death of Zeta said that GM is continuing to work on the 4 door versions of Zeta for N. America, but the 2 door versions, Monte-Carlo (yes Monte-Carlo NOT Camaro), GTO, Buick Coupe and Buick Convertible are ALL dead.

The Det News article Tiger GT referenced
There's a Camaro hook in all of us," Queen said. "It may not be a Camaro,
says the same thing, NO Camaro, as I said it would have been a new RWD Monte Carlo.
Old 6/4/05, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Why do you say the charger isnt supposed to compete with the mustang isnt this the car that is supposed to have 400 and something hp i know for sure i read where there is one coming out that has 400 something hp. ANd when did it come out i thought it wasnt coming out till next year sometime. Also i saw it a car show and i thought it looked hot in the magazines but i have to agree with rrobello it is butt ugly in person and i hate the four doors also when did a sports car get four doors and you cant tell me this isnt a sports car when it has that much power.
Old 6/4/05, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

The Charger SRT8 will have the 425hp hemi. The regular Charger R/T has the 340hp hemi.

Its still a 4 door though.
Old 6/4/05, 06:04 PM

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS.

And with that does want GM to compete with Ford ?

Much power...... and very poor beauty. ( As always )

Thats all.
Old 6/4/05, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by rrobello@June 3, 2005, 2:28 PM
a shelby is well a SHELBY and a camero is just a camero no matter how sick it is...we already know that the Shelby will be bad hiney and we dont know if GM will get the camero right or not and since it seems that everyone is having a hard time with getting these rereleases right, like the GTO and the new messed up Charger, the Camero will probably be a complete loser.

Well..a Shelby is still just a Mustang with purdy badges.

But to the topic at hand, I have to imagine that there's gotta be people within GM pushing hard for a new Camaro considering how well the new Mustang is doing. And frankly, since Ford has already given them a target, it wouldn't be to hard for GM to come up with something that either meets or exceeds the Mustang's performance parameters.
Old 6/5/05, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Tiger, worse than that ... that Monte Carlo SS is a FWD V8 :scratch:
Old 6/5/05, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by iceman241@June 4, 2005, 9:10 AM
Why do you say the charger isnt supposed to compete with the mustang isnt this the car that is supposed to have 400 and something hp i know for sure i read where there is one coming out that has 400 something hp. ANd when did it come out i thought it wasnt coming out till next year sometime. Also i saw it a car show and i thought it looked hot in the magazines but i have to agree with rrobello it is butt ugly in person and i hate the four doors also when did a sports car get four doors and you cant tell me this isnt a sports car when it has that much power.
Not sure I'm following you here.

The Charger is a family sedan, nothing more, nothing less. The 340 R/T and 425 horsepower SRT8 just make it a very fast, powerful family sedan.

IMO, Dodge is smart to market the Charger as a performance sedan. It has the chance to appeal to a portion of the market who needs four doors, but wants something more interesting than a Camry or Accord.

The Charger definitely looks better in person (I love the front end... the back end could use some work though). I think the SRT8 is stunning in person (especially in black... looks menacing with the hood scoop and 20s).

The Charger is a lot of things, but a Mustang competitor it is not.
Old 6/5/05, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

A.) Shelby.No question.

i bleed blue blood
Old 6/8/05, 12:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Joes66Pony@June 4, 2005, 5:13 PM
Well..a Shelby is still just a Mustang with purdy badges.

But to the topic at hand, I have to imagine that there's gotta be people within GM pushing hard for a new Camaro considering how well the new Mustang is doing. And frankly, since Ford has already given them a target, it wouldn't be to hard for GM to come up with something that either meets or exceeds the Mustang's performance parameters.
Joe...I agree GM could make a Camaro that would meet the Mustang head-on,just like they did in the 60's.The SS 396 usually stomped the 390. In '69 it became a driver's race until the ZL-1. Competition DOES improve the breed.

The styling would be key for GM's success or failure.Lately their cars are kinda fugly.

As for Shelby being just a Mustang with badges?...nah, think again.
Old 6/8/05, 06:25 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TigerGt@June 4, 2005, 6:07 PM
2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS.

And with that does want GM to compete with Ford ?

Much power...... and very poor beauty. ( As always )

Thats all.
Nah, the problem with that car isn't it's looks, it's the 300+ hp delivered to the front wheels. Talk about torque steer out the wazoo.
Old 6/8/05, 06:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by TomServo92@June 3, 2005, 1:47 AM
Is this the one you're talking about:

If so, it isn't a GM concept. It's a concept commissioned by Popular Hot Rodding magazine for what they think the next Camaro might look like.

Don't believe me? Read the article yourelf:

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...09phr_5camaro/
Man!!thats sick...I hate to admit it, but Id buy it.
Old 6/8/05, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

I like this better though......
Old 6/8/05, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I'd love to see a new Camaro, especially one that looked like those renderings. But no one has mentioned the big picture here. GM is in BIG trouble financially. GMAC is the only thing holding General Motors afloat. I doubt they are going to venture what little capital they have in R&D for an all new Camaro. Too bad, we need some competition.

Quick Reply: Shelby GT 500 vs. 2007 Camaro ZL-1