Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Saleen is Getting ready!

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/04, 11:03 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it was posted on here not long with an article link not to mention I have read and heard numerous times that the S351 started out as a v6 and i've never heard of a cobra converted to saleen other than a saleen cobra which was extremely rare more rare than the S351. Two issues ago in the muscle mustangs and fast fords magazine they had an article on 20 years in saleen and said the death of the S351 was mainly due to emission issues.
Old 11/15/04, 11:21 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

So as not to get a lot of flaming about my previous post with the statement that Saleen used V6s, I did not say what they used them for, I am not sure. All I know is that I saw them on the lot and in the same numbers as they had of the GTs and there were some Cobras back there too. Perhaps as mentioned the 6s where used for super cars, like their race team or their SR (by the way they even had Tim Allens Race car there) since it would seem logical not to waste money on an engine that you are just going to remove from the car, not to mention everything else such as tranny and suspension, but looking at the sizes of the engines themselve as compared to those that come straight from Ford, it seems as though, and I could be wrong, that the S281 is the GT base and S281SC is the same thing supercharged as the engines are all about 4600 cc while the S281E is more like the engine in the Cobra R since they are both 5800 cc and the the SVT Cobra is only 5000 cc. Again not saying its the same engine, just saying it seems to be more similar to the R than that of the SVT. But I guess thats a question Saleen can answer. Interested in finding out myself.
Old 11/15/04, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

couldnt they just give me ONE
Old 11/15/04, 11:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

i was about to say, I think thats why everyone is being delayed on their orders and the IUP's!!, I feel bad for everyone who has not gotten their's yet
Old 11/15/04, 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

I didn't see any completed 05 Saleen's out there, but I did see this......and I wasn't about to get any closer to uncover them......
Old 11/15/04, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

Those don't look like 05 Mustangs. Maybe 04?
Old 11/15/04, 11:48 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They have to be 04s. Wonder why they are covered up though. :scratch:
Old 11/15/04, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by rrobello@November 15, 2004, 12:24 PM
So as not to get a lot of flaming about my previous post with the statement that Saleen used V6s, I did not say what they used them for, I am not sure. All I know is that I saw them on the lot and in the same numbers as they had of the GTs and there were some Cobras back there too. Perhaps as mentioned the 6s where used for super cars, like their race team or their SR (by the way they even had Tim Allens Race car there) since it would seem logical not to waste money on an engine that you are just going to remove from the car, not to mention everything else such as tranny and suspension, but looking at the sizes of the engines themselve as compared to those that come straight from Ford, it seems as though, and I could be wrong, that the S281 is the GT base and S281SC is the same thing supercharged as the engines are all about 4600 cc while the S281E is more like the engine in the Cobra R since they are both 5800 cc and the the SVT Cobra is only 5000 cc. Again not saying its the same engine, just saying it seems to be more similar to the R than that of the SVT. But I guess thats a question Saleen can answer. Interested in finding out myself.
So far, you are half correct. The S281 and the SC were derived from the GT, hence that's why they have the SOHC 2v 4.6L, the latter havng the supercharger. Even the S281-E is based on the same motor, but with a more powerful tuned blower. The Saleen Cobras you saw, have baasically the same 4.6L 4v DOHC that comes stock on the Cobras, even the blower, but tuned to Saleen specs to make more power. All Saleen did with the Cobras was do a Saleen conversion by swappin in their body kits and doing some inteior and badging work, so mainly it was cosmetic stuff. It was the S-351's that were based off the v6's that were given the blown 351W swap (production stopped on these cars in 2000 because as Justin281 stated, they were no longer emissions compliant, which is why the S281-E is now the top dog Saleen mustang). Saleen never used the Cobra R powerplant on any of their cars, it was exclusive only to the Cobra R. Even the SR used the same engine as the GT's, but with a better tuned centrifugal blower sitting on top of it.
Old 11/15/04, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Fast351@November 15, 2004, 12:46 PM
I didn't see any completed 05 Saleen's out there, but I did see this......and I wasn't about to get any closer to uncover them......
The first two cars in the pic look like N2O Focus's (Focii?) and the last three at the end, definetely look like 04 S-281-E's (hence they have a huge spoiler bulging out from the covers). Nice pic!
Old 11/15/04, 12:14 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally posted by 03muzzy6+November 15, 2004, 12:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (03muzzy6 @ November 15, 2004, 12:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rrobello@November 15, 2004, 12:24 PM
So far, you are half correct. The S281 and the SC were derived from the GT, hence that's why they have the SOHC 2v 4.6L, the latter havng the supercharger. Even the S281-E is based on the same motor, but with a more powerful tuned blower. The Saleen Cobras you saw, have baasically the same 4.6L 4v DOHC that comes stock on the Cobras, even the blower, but tuned to Saleen specs to make more power. All Saleen did with the Cobras was do a Saleen conversion by swappin in their body kits and doing some inteior and badging work, so mainly it was cosmetic stuff. It was the S-351's that were based off the v6's that were given the blown 351W swap (production stopped on these cars in 2000 because as Justin281 stated, they were no longer emissions compliant, which is why the S281-E is now the top dog Saleen mustang). Saleen never used the Cobra R powerplant on any of their cars, it was exclusive only to the Cobra R. Even the SR used the same engine as the GT's, but with a better tuned centrifugal blower sitting on top of it. [/b][/quote]
Thanks, but I was wondering if the SR is the GT engine how is it that the actual size of it is larger? I knew about emisions screwing up the production of the 351 and we lost the 5.0 prior to that, glad to see it coming back in the Cammer though, but I do have some inside info on Saleen though (not sure on how reliable it is so don't hold me to it because I don't want to start rumors, just food for thought) the daughter of the VP of Saleen worked for my mom up until last year, and I would always talk about Saleen and cars in general with her and she was very informed, even hooked me up with dealer catalogs and employee prices for parts, but we had discussed the death of the 351 and she told me that Steve had expressed great concern about this and was angry (as we all were), but supposedly they had been working on building a new large engine all of their own to place in a high end saleen stang, was hoping that we would see it in their new Extreme but it looks like we wont since it is still called the S281 E, but it would be nice to see someone take some action and take it into their own hands if Ford won't. I hope to see it soon though, I just hope they didn't give up on it.

And the covered cars could be privately owned by people that work there. When I was there, they had their cars parked out on the side (the nicest and most custom ones by the way) and there didnt seem to be anywhere to leave them inside, so that said they might be recently sold and waiting for someone to take delivery. Just a thought.
Old 11/15/04, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, I believe your correct. the first couple are the N20 Focus. And the others are 04's I think.
Old 11/15/04, 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Foci and 04's. i was there the other day when they were covering them up. my friend just bought an 04 and we went to pick up his windscreen. i think the mustang colors were silver and two blacks. i'll see if i can run up therre later on this week and catch any other pics. :tex:
Old 11/15/04, 01:19 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Do any of you guys know which west coast surf board company manufactures the Saleen spoiler? TIA. 0:-)
Old 11/15/04, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

wow..so did u just walk in their parking lot?
Old 11/15/04, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, any time you buy something from the factory they send you around back to pick it up from the warehouse. Thats where that big lot is. whe i went i didn't have my camera but like i said i'll try to make it up on Fri.
Old 11/15/04, 02:53 PM
I'm people, and I like.

where have all the mustangs gone?
Old 11/15/04, 02:55 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by 03muzzy6@November 15, 2004, 10:19 AM
Anybody feel like going in to get those lost stangs gone MIA? (Mission Impossible theme cue starts)
it'll be more like Gone in 60 Seconds lol ^_^
Old 11/15/04, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Didn't even walk, just drove around back, and bam. This is one of the areas where they have the annual Saleen car show. It doesn't look like they have started on the 05's yet, but I bet in few weeks there will be a bunch of finished ones sitting around.

I have a feeling the show will be huge in 05' just because of the new car. I'm sure the 05' class will have a lot of cars in it. Better figure out now how to best mod your 05' if you want to win!!
Old 11/15/04, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8+November 15, 2004, 3:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thezeppelin8 @ November 15, 2004, 3:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-03muzzy6@November 15, 2004, 10:19 AM
Anybody feel like going in to get those lost stangs gone MIA? (Mission Impossible theme cue starts)
it'll be more like Gone in 60 Seconds lol ^_^ [/b][/quote]
Drive it like you stole it!!! Memphis Raines is da man! :worship: