Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Is the S281 Saleen better than the Shelby?

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/05, 07:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw where the S281 Supercharged Saleen cost a tad over $50,000. And this Shelby was to be $39,000 to $41,000. Is the Saleen better and more power? It does have a lot of nice mods, interior, seats etc.
Old 5/17/05, 07:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we don't know yet. Neither car has really been tested and definitely not against each other.
Old 5/17/05, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

I do know that eveytime a magazine tests a Saleen, there's always caveats attached to every comment.

I.e. "The Saleen isn't cheap, but if you absolutely have to have the most unique Mustang out there right now - and a massive horsepower increase isn't your chief concern - you're guaranteed a measure of exclusivity..."

I get the distinct feeling the press isn't all that taken with it.

The Shelby will be the better choice for a number of reasons. And it will be cheaper than the fully blown Saleen.

That said, I really dig the style of the Saleen (minus the tupperware spoiler). But the base model sells for $57K here in Canada, which is waaaaaaaay too expensive for what you get. The 500 hp Shelby will probably come in for $2K less than the normally aspirated Saleen up here! It's a no-brainer.
Old 5/17/05, 11:07 PM
Cobra Member

I don't care what the final GT500 comes out at, for an extra $10k or so, I can never see the Saleen competing on the price v performance line.

But, then again, it never was supposed to. It was supposed to be something completely different and unique.
Old 5/18/05, 10:56 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Just by looks alone the S281 gets trashed.
Old 5/18/05, 11:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Black Magic@May 17, 2005, 9:46 PM
I saw where the S281 Supercharged Saleen cost a tad over $50,000. And this Shelby was to be $39,000 to $41,000. Is the Saleen better and more power? It does have a lot of nice mods, interior, seats etc.
What is "no", Alex? I think the Shelby will blow the Saleen away. Just my opinion. It sure does based off of looks.
Old 5/18/05, 12:07 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Yup, the Shelby seems like it will excel in every aspect over the Saleen
Old 5/18/05, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I think Saleens have been obsolete since the 2003 cobra. I dont see how they are around. Their motto should be "The same performance for more money".
Old 5/18/05, 01:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by new22003@May 18, 2005, 2:41 PM
I think Saleens have been obsolete since the 2003 cobra. I dont see how they are around. Their motto should be "The same performance for more money".
Exactly.
Old 5/18/05, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by new22003@May 18, 2005, 1:41 PM
Old 5/18/05, 08:18 PM
Banned

I think the Saleens look "importy"... too flashy for me!
Old 5/19/05, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just bought an 05 Saleen. Seems it's always the folks who CAN'T afford the stuff they trash. I think the Saleen looks way better than the Shelby and that's why I bought it.

The lines are cleaner, the name is exclusive, and the sound sweet.

Like all fine things, you must try before you have something useful to say. Hope to post pics soon too! It's a Screaming Yellow S-281 (non-supercharged, but still hot to the touch!) and it's -- REALLY! -- an automatic.
Old 5/20/05, 07:26 AM
V6 Member

looks alone, Saleen BLOWS away the Shelby. As being a collectors car? The Shelby will probably win because of its understated looks and the Shelby name.

i LOVE the way the Saleen looks, so congrats on your purchase!

i am disappointed with the HP numbers of the regular saleen though and the price to pay for one at $42K is too much. So for me, i decided to find a mineral gray '05 and put the saleen kit/wheels on it then do bolt on mods myself which i have seen bring a stock GT up to 350hp+!!

Originally posted by autothing@May 19, 2005, 9:04 PM
I just bought an 05 Saleen. Seems it's always the folks who CAN'T afford the stuff they trash. I think the Saleen looks way better than the Shelby and that's why I bought it.

Like all fine things, you must try before you have something useful to say. Hope to post pics soon too! It's a Screaming Yellow S-281 (non-supercharged, but still hot to the touch!) and it's -- REALLY! -- an automatic.
Old 5/20/05, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by autothing@May 19, 2005, 10:04 PM

I have to agree...it seems like a lot of people trash things that they've never even tried before. I am actually planning on getting a Saleen now; I was going to get a Roush Stage 2 but I'm sick of waiting around for them. Funny how when the Saleen first came out, I liked it. Then I decided I didn't like the grill or the rear end. Now I've changed my mind again and decided that I'm getting one. I plan on getting a Sonic Blue Saleen S281...and probably an automatic as well. And I'm very glad to hear that you're enjoying yours.
Old 5/20/05, 08:02 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by autothing@May 19, 2005, 9:04 PM
I just bought an 05 Saleen. Seems it's always the folks who CAN'T afford the stuff they trash.
Or maybe we just can find better ways to spend our money. So your MSRP is about $15k more than a stock GT. Well the extra 25 hp you have can easily be made up with a CAI, underdrive pulleys, exhaust upgrade and a tune; about $1k there. I can considerably upgrade the suspension for about $1k. You can get full body kits for the Mustang for less than $2k. Good set of rims and tires, about $2k. Is a number on your bumper really worth $10k?
Old 5/20/05, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by holderca1@May 20, 2005, 7:05 AM
Or maybe we just can find better ways to spend our money. So your MSRP is about $15k more than a stock GT. Well the extra 25 hp you have can easily be made up with a CAI, underdrive pulleys, exhaust upgrade and a tune; about $1k there. I can considerably upgrade the suspension for about $1k. You can get full body kits for the Mustang for less than $2k. Good set of rims and tires, about $2k. Is a number on your bumper really worth $10k?
Saleens are a great way to fan your wallet at plastic and vinyl "upgrades". A poser would love that.Check the MotorTrend articles.

Saleen vs.Shelby???
You've got to be kidding.... JMO.
Old 5/20/05, 09:02 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by autothing@May 19, 2005, 11:04 PM
I just bought an 05 Saleen. Seems it's always the folks who CAN'T afford the stuff they trash. ...

Like all fine things, you must try before you have something useful to say...

I would not waste my money on that ricer POS. We'll see how exclusive you feel about it when the unmatching paint starts flaking off.

Old 5/20/05, 09:18 AM
V6 Member

i used to think it was a good deal but now, i agree..way too much $ for base saleen, however, i love the SALEEN looks..so i am looking for a mineral grey GT and going to do the mods myself for way less $.
i can also make it quite a bit faster and i can even include 14" brakes for less money than a base Saleen.
Old 5/20/05, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I love the saleen look, some do some dont thats a matter of opinion.

But as I said above I dont think a body kit justifies the price because the car doesnt do anything better than a GT. For $50,000 you better be getting a car that dramatically outhandles or outbrakes or out accelerates the base gt.

I think saleen priced themselves out of the market. For that money you should at least get a forged shortblock. Every test out shows the non supercharged saleen performace basically the same as the GT.

If I want one Ill get a GT for $27,000 and buy the body kit and have it painted/installed for a few thousand more. Then I would pick some wheels that look good and dont hurt performance.

Paying $23,000 for a body kit and some 20 inch wheels just doesnt make sense to me when you can do it yourself for a fraction of that.

I realize the saleen is about more than all out acceleration. But when you have a car like the new Cobra coming out with large brakes, a 6 speed, a killer engine, nice tires, and a tuned chassis for $9000 less than the base saleen theres a huge problem.

Regardless of what it may sound like I love saleens. I love the body kits. They did a lot for mustangs in the pre 03 cobra era. I would love to see them stay around but they really need to rethink their price/performance ratio.
Old 5/20/05, 11:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by new22003@May 20, 2005, 8:39 AM
I love the saleen look, some do some dont thats a matter of opinion.

But as I said above I dont think a body kit justifies the price because the car doesnt do anything better than a GT. For $50,000 you better be getting a car that dramatically outhandles or outbrakes or out accelerates the base gt.

I think saleen priced themselves out of the market. For that money you should at least get a forged shortblock. Every test out shows the non supercharged saleen performace basically the same as the GT.

If I want one Ill get a GT for $27,000 and buy the body kit and have it painted/installed for a few thousand more. Then I would pick some wheels that look good and dont hurt performance.

Paying $23,000 for a body kit and some 20 inch wheels just doesnt make sense to me when you can do it yourself for a fraction of that.

I realize the saleen is about more than all out acceleration. But when you have a car like the new Cobra coming out with large brakes, a 6 speed, a killer engine, nice tires, and a tuned chassis for $9000 less than the base saleen theres a huge problem.

Regardless of what it may sound like I love saleens. I love the body kits. They did a lot for mustangs in the pre 03 cobra era. I would love to see them stay around but they really need to rethink their price/performance ratio.
What is the Saleen "about" anyway? And those guys at the gym in the clown pants , what's that about? Those wheels that keep spinning when the car has stopped , what's that about? Gold chains and 3 buttons un-done on your shirt,what's that about? They are all in the same category to me.

We have not had Saleens and Shelbys working on the same metal at the same time before(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). What we know about Shelby Mustangs vs. Saleen Mustangs is that Shelby integrates more performance for the dollar than Saleen does. Saleen has never measured up to Shelby so far.I've never seen a Saleen on e-bay for $190,000 and doubt I ever will.

SHELBY WINS...Saleen pretends.

Quick Reply: Is the S281 Saleen better than the Shelby?