Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Replacing Gt front with cobra front.

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/05, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many of us are in love with the front end of the cobra, especially the headlights.In the past all ya hade to do to get the cobra bumber it swap out the bumper. the .It looks like in order to do that, the hood ,head light assembly and front bumper have to be replaced. Personally, I don't know how I feel making a gt look like a cobra. I have always disliked the way people have swapped out cobra parts on the Gt and tell everyone they have a cobra. Being a cobra owner like myself I have a certain pride that only an svt owner has.Your one owner of a limited production!!
So , I kind of made this post into 2 subjects!!!
Questions: 1- Any guess the trouble of swapping out the front parts?
2- how do you feel about people that putting svt body parts
on the gt?
Old 3/27/05, 09:53 PM
I'm people, and I like.

It would be pretty hard for the front parts, because the SVT has a bigger grill
Old 3/27/05, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@March 27, 2005, 10:56 PM
It would be pretty hard for the front parts, because the SVT has a bigger grill
I left that out the front grill. Anyway, my point is. If some one wants to make their Gt look like a cobra, they are gonna have to spend more money on labor and parts to do so. In the past it was much easier.
Old 3/27/05, 09:58 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
In comparing the pics of the mustang and the GT500, it looks like the hood would need to be replaced as well.
Old 3/27/05, 10:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@March 27, 2005, 11:01 PM
In comparing the pics of the mustang and the GT500, it looks like the hood would need to be replaced as well.
YUP!! It's gonna be harder than just buying from the other aftermarket companies. the others , ya just slap them on. whole new ball game here
Old 3/28/05, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

I think it would all depend on the headlights. If they mount like the stockers, than it might not be more than changing the headlights and front bumper. Granted the bumper will probably need some professional help to mount it properly, but all the pieces (headlights, bumper) should be able to be retrofitted on the old cars. The hood is propably optional, but does change the look with the bump in the middle.

But, seeing how they are making the GT and V6 bumpers differently, I doubt it will be a direct replacement and will propably require some pretty good work to get it done.
Old 3/28/05, 11:32 AM
Cobra Member

I don't own an SVT, but I'll admit that I talk trash about Cobra body parts on a GT. I don't mind so much if it's just the body parts without the badging, but when someone puts a snake on a car that isn't one, I feel shame for them. I can't blame anyone for wanting to look cool, but saying you've got something that you really don't.... that's deserving of a good kickin'.
Old 3/28/05, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

looks like you will need the fron't bumper - grill - hood & light assembly -- the light itself looks the same but the light cover will definitely need to be replaced. Although you will also need a new fog light assembly kit. probably pretty expensive after you consider parts - labor & paint.
Old 3/28/05, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

If there is a demand someone will make an affordable kit.
Old 3/28/05, 02:10 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by clintoris@March 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
I don't own an SVT, but I'll admit that I talk trash about Cobra body parts on a GT. I don't mind so much if it's just the body parts without the badging, but when someone puts a snake on a car that isn't one, I feel shame for them. I can't blame anyone for wanting to look cool, but saying you've got something that you really don't.... that's deserving of a good kickin'.
What if they supercharge it, and put on enough performance upgrades to make it faster than the GT500, is it still bad to put the badging on it?
Old 3/28/05, 02:29 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@March 28, 2005, 4:13 PM
... is it still bad to put the badging on it?
Not if you include the WANNABE vanity tag.
Then you're legit.

Old 3/28/05, 02:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1+March 28, 2005, 3:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(holderca1 @ March 28, 2005, 3:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-clintoris@March 28, 2005, 12:35 PM
What if they supercharge it, and put on enough performance upgrades to make it faster than the GT500, is it still bad to put the badging on it?
[/b][/quote]

I still say yes..... if it's not a Cobra, then don't badge it like on.... just be happy that you have a GT that can kick the dodie out of a Cobra, or GT500 or whatever.... most the time it's the other way around... too many people that are all show and no go. I'd rather see someone take the GT tags off and put just a plain pony on there... that's respectable.... but JMO.
Old 3/28/05, 03:03 PM
GT Member

:nono:

Do what you want to your car, however if it isn't a cobra then it shouldn't have the cobra badges. I still wouldn't put the badges on it even if I made it just like a cobra, looks and performance.

You don't get anywhere in life trying to be something you aren't, someone will eventually figure out you are lying and lose all respect they had for you. Don't be a wannabe, be original.
Old 3/28/05, 03:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am not for putting badging on a car that tries to make it look like something else. My friend had a civic and made is so it was faster than the stock civic type r, but then put the type r badging on it. I still called him a tool all the time till he finally took it off. There is nothing wrong with putting the cobra parts on a GT, but as soon as you try to pass it off as a Cobra you are then a tool. Your just like all the other people with type r sentra's or type r accords. Be proud of the car you own and quit trying to pawn it off as something it's not. There are tons of things to do to your car to make it stand out a little without rebadging the car. I know there are already people who have cobra emblems on their cars. Vegas Jay's car has cobra badges and gt500 on the stripes, Love the stripes and the mods but i can't get past the badging for the simple reason that i would be a complete hypocrite if i said i liked his and continue to rip on ricers. This has however been discussed at great length in various threads. So to wrap up this unreasonably long post, put what you like on you car but if you badge it any other way than what it is, you open yourself up for scrutiny.
Old 3/28/05, 05:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mustang suppliers have made a ton of money selling body parts, scoops and badging etc. that people used to make a car look like a Shelby. Its been done since the very First with the 65. A thought, many people dont want to get into the mechanical part of modding. I have no problem with it. To my way of thinging, hot rodding is all about individuality.
Making your ride distinctive.

I had a 76 Maverick, bright yellow with a 302 and a 3 spd in the floor. I put sequential tail lights from a 67 Cougar, along with its Magnum 500s on it. Painted the rear between the tailights black. Had a Black Boss 429 functional hood scoop. I removed the front bumper and fabricated a Maier Mustang front valance for it out of sheet metal, and fabricated a grille out of black painted expanded metal. Performance wise I took all the smog stuff off and added a dual exhaust that exited in front of the back wheels. Had a Snake on the Grill, black GT350 stripes and a Mercury Comet rear spoiler on it.
This is what hot rodding is all about to me. It was a very unique looking Maverick.
Was it a Shelby...no. Did I represent it as a Shelby...no. Was it a very cool car? heck yes, and I got nothing but positive responses on it.

The only thing I frown on is people trying to get more money for it by trying to pass it off as a genuine Shelby, which wasnt an uncommon prob with 65 and 66s.

remember hotrodding is all indivuduality, wheter appearance, performance or whatever. I shudder to think it should ever die. I'll always love hot rodding. Its been in my blood for over 40 years.
Old 3/28/05, 10:35 PM
GT Member

I hope it can be done. The new front of the Cobra is too sweet. Doesnt bother me at all if someone adds a cobra front to a reg GT- it looks so much better.