Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Question about suspension

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/05, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I figured I'd ask because I know there are a lot of you that are experts at this stuff and I am definately not

I read that the suspension on the Cobra is different because of the shock towers, panhard bar, etc.

What I was wondering is could a person who buys just a regular GT lower that GT and put in the panhard bars and basically get the same type of suspension out of the GT or no?

The reason being, I seriously doubt I will have the cash for a 40k plus car and I know I will definately not have the cash for a 60k car like some of the dealers are trying to get but I would like to get the same type of handling performance if I can from the GT.

Thanks for any help
Old 4/8/05, 12:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that I am an expert or anything, but as far as I understand it, yes, you could (springs, shocks, sways, bushings), but I wouldn't advise it.

The GT500's suspension will be dialed in for the heavy iron block 5.4 motor up front. This is a very different weight balance than the GT. Therefore, the front springs/dampers will be stiffer than would be ideal for the GT. This would either create more understeer and probably a higher ride height for the front suspension.

You would get better results if you went with an aftermarket system specifically designed for the GT.
Old 4/8/05, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, that's what I meant, if I were to go with say Steedas Pro Kit or something like that... could I get similar suspension performance with the GT.

The main thing that worries me about getting the Steeda kit is that I live in LA and there are MANY potholes here and I don't want the ride to be so rough that it damages the car.

I'm assuming that with the Cobra, because it's specifically designed for it's suspension, that the ride would be as smooth as a stock GT and wouldn't damage the car on rough roads... but I really have no frame of reference so I don't know.

That's the main thing that bothers me with the GT, is the way the rear sticks up.

I like the stance of the Cobra much better... more level... so that's what I would really like my GT to look like if/when I get it.
Old 4/8/05, 02:01 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may want to first try wider tires, will do wonders on cornering and road grip. And since you live in lala land, no need to get all season tires, go for the performance tires.
Old 4/9/05, 07:56 AM
Cobra Member

imatk - a rough ride really shouldn't damage the car at all. Big rims with lo-profile tires may crack every now and then, but the chassis should be fine (assuming you don't do anything really stupid with the car).

But, if you are looking for a smoother/softer ride with good performance (and I know I am going to get a lot of flack for this), you might want to look at the Saleen suspension. They traditionally tune their cars for a smoother ride while still giving very good performance.

That, and what holderca1 said -- get the wide sticky tires.
Old 4/9/05, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks for the replies guys

Rampant... can I buy a Saleen suspension without buying a Saleen?
Old 4/9/05, 12:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Imatk,

I think you would be a lot better off going aftermarket designed for the GT. Like rampant said, the GT500 suspension is designed for the Cobra, not the GT. Suspension dynamics are something that most of us do not understand well enough to just start bolting on parts. You might make it handle poorly or, even worse, make the car unsafe.

Look into the places like Saleen, Steeda and Roush. You might also try Kenny Brown (kennybrown.com). Kenny used to be a major part of Saleen's engineering team. I don't remember exactly what his role was, but, the rumor is that he left Saleen because Steve was more into body kits and the like while Kenny wanted to put money/effort into suspension engineering. They couldn't agree and Kenny started his own shop. Anybody remember the details of that better? If so, please correct me.

Anyway, he did some nice stuff for the previous Cobras, GT and V6s. He also builds race cars. I don't know where you live, but, in the Summer, the local (Indianapolis) SVTOA events are sponsored by him and they usually go to his shop for Dyno runs and dinners and meetings. You would be welcome to come attend and check it out.

NO, I don't work for them. Iwas just very impressed with their shop the time I went to the IndySVTOA meeting there.
Old 4/10/05, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Imatk@April 9, 2005, 10:08 AM
... can I buy a Saleen suspension without buying a Saleen?
Yes.
http://commerce.saleen.com/Catalog.aspx?se...ageType=Default

But, if you can wait, it might be worth it to shop around and see what other companies come up with. Because of the Saleen/Ford relationship, they have a head start on development. Plus, I like having the dampers valved specifically for the springs. However, it is pretty expensive for a non-adjustable setup.

And, it is by no means the "perfect" system, but more street oriented. You will want to shop around as many different products out there will give different results.

But, the most important thing is to have a specific goal (use) in mind. Street-only? Then you can sacrifice performance for comfort and looks. AutoX? You will want more perforamnce oriented stuff, etc.

You may also want to look at Steeda, Kenny Brown (as mentioned above), and Griggs. Or you could get the Tokico/Eibach combo that is pretty popular and have the adjustability to find the setup you like.

All in all, keep your specific goals in mind and have fun with it.
Old 4/10/05, 12:35 PM
Cobra Member

Wow great info guys I love this board!

I'm in LA crazyhoarse... Hollywood to be exact, I think I remember reading that Kenny Brown was in California... but I'm not sure.

As for my goals, it's kind of a mix between the two. I want to have a little bit better handling, I'd love to get near the handling of the Cobra... but I also don't want to sacrifice the ride too much as the roads have quite a few cracks and potholes around here.

I'd like to lower the rearend because I don't really like how the GT sticks up in the rear. I'd like to achieve the same stance as the Cobra where it looks basically level.

With the Tokico/Eibach can I get the same stance (or near) as the Cobra?

I like the idea of being able to adjust to find what I like... that sounds excellent. The Kenny Brown or Saleen also sounds great as well, but I'm assuming there is no chance of adjustment once I get those, that's it, if I don't like it then too bad.

Decisions decisions

Thanks again guys for all your great info.
Old 4/10/05, 12:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Kenny Brown is in Indianapolis, IN.