Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

New GT 500 convertible pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/05, 08:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Boomer@December 5, 2005, 9:21 PM
Looks like a pony badge on the back too...

They probably got an 'almost production model'

and the times are estimated....

It'll be quicker... no doubt...
This is likely the same car Shelby is standing in front of in that pic.

I bet the times are underestimated just like the power is. They don't want law suit because the car is not capable of the advertised performance.
Old 12/5/05, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@December 5, 2005, 7:20 PM
I think the root of the problem is they showed us more than they can or even wanted to deliver in that show car. It was such a hit that we have been hoping to get that exact car. Most of that was never intended to be produced.

My biggest complaint with previous Mustangs was quality. Hopefully that has been addressed. Taking away the quality, beautiful leather interior of the concept is not a step in the right direction. We'll see in about 34 days.
Exactly, I would have LOVED to see Ford produce the concept as shown in NYC but sadly I knew it wouldn't happen. However, the production car will be close enough to the concept to still be tremendously appealing (ugly hood aside).

I know, I for one, have berated Ford for decontenting the GT500 as well as sticking us with an ugly [censored] hood. However, given the lack of current competition, I do salute Ford for stepping up to the plate and offering a nearly 500 hp Mustang. I can hardly wait 34 days to see the final product. My kids are eagerly anticipating Christmas, however, for me, Christmas won't arrive until January.

I agree with Crispy, for those of us unwilling to pay a premium, it will be a waiting game but good things come to those who are patient enough to outlast dealer markups.
Old 12/5/05, 10:30 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by MustangFanatic+December 5, 2005, 8:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MustangFanatic @ December 5, 2005, 8:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Exactly, I would have LOVED to see Ford produce the concept as shown in NYC but sadly I knew it wouldn't happen.
[/b]

Wanna know what's REALLY sad? The car they showed us in NY wasn't even all that special. I remember people complaining about a lot of things with that "concept" Shelby they showed us. THAT car looked pretty much like a production ready vehicle, and they couldn't even deliver THAT.

It's amazing how people will continue to lower their expectations as more and more things are taken away...just to have a high horsepower Mustang.

First they took away the IRS (even before the "concept" was revealed) after talking about this new platform being designed for it. Then we lost the 19" wheels. Then they said the Shelby lettering would probably not appear. Then we got those god awful hood vents. It looks like there is no effort to improve upon the cheap black plastic side mirrors. The seats look the same. And I would be surprised indeed if the leather interior made production.

But as others have said, perhaps we should just wait another month and see what they give us. No one is forcing us to buy one of these things if we don't like it, after all. But I've waited a long time for a new Shelby Mustang, and had hoped Ford would really step up to the plate and not cut corners so visibly. They made the GT what it was supposed to be; why not the Shelby?

<!--QuoteBegin-MustangFanatic
@December 5, 2005, 8:36 PM
However, given the lack of current competition, I do salute Ford for stepping up to the plate and offering a nearly 500 hp Mustang.
[/quote]
I wouldn't count on the lack of competition thing lasting for more than about a year...two at the outside. A powerful new 350Z and G35 are coming. Dodge's Challenger will up the ante. And we know GM has something yet to be unveiled (probably at the auto show in January).

This market is gonna get crowed in a hurry, and the other manufacturers have now had the benefit of seeing what Ford is offering...and planning to fill a void with the stuff they're not.
Old 12/5/05, 11:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@December 5, 2005, 11:33 PM
Wanna know what's REALLY sad? The car they showed us in NY wasn't even all that special. I remember people complaining about a lot of things with that "concept" Shelby they showed us. THAT car looked pretty much like a production ready vehicle, and they couldn't even deliver THAT.

It's amazing how people will continue to lower their expectations as more and more things are taken away...just to have a high horsepower Mustang.

First they took away the IRS (even before the "concept" was revealed) after talking about this new platform being designed for it. Then we lost the 19" wheels. Then they said the Shelby lettering would probably not appear. Then we got those god awful hood vents. It looks like there is no effort to improve upon the cheap black plastic side mirrors. The seats look the same. And I would be surprised indeed if the leather interior made production.

But as others have said, perhaps we should just wait another month and see what they give us. No one is forcing us to buy one of these things if we don't like it, after all. But I've waited a long time for a new Shelby Mustang, and had hoped Ford would really step up to the plate and not cut corners so visibly. They made the GT what it was supposed to be; why not the Shelby?
I wouldn't count on the lack of competition thing lasting for more than about a year...two at the outside. A powerful new 350Z and G35 are coming. Dodge's Challenger will up the ante. And we know GM has something yet to be unveiled (probably at the auto show in January).

This market is gonna get crowed in a hurry, and the other manufacturers have now had the benefit of seeing what Ford is offering...and planning to fill a void with the stuff they're not.
+1

Excellent post (though I thought the concept was special, everything else I agree with).
Old 12/6/05, 10:43 AM
Cobra Member

BC, I agree with your post as well. At this moment, the Mustang has very little competition in the segment. As you pointed out, however, the market looks to become very crowded in the next couple of years.

I think Ford purposefully left themselves room for improvement knowing that the competition was coming. When the IRS is introduced, for example, it will seem like a much bigger "enhancement" than if they offered it now. While that may justify their "business decision" I don't agree with that approach. Ford significantly cheapened the GT500 by not offering many of the enhancements many of us desired. While the big HP engine is great, many of the supporting pieces were compromised or eliminated.

While I have eagerly anticipated the GT500 and can't wait to see the production version, the reality of one actually residing in my garage is becoming increasingly unlikely. The lack of an IRS and the elimination of other features have nearly convinced me to wait until the next SE comes out. I'm seriously hoping Ford produces a Boss Mustang reminiscent of the original with stellar handling, and IRS and at least 375 hp (N/A preferrably). If not, I’ll build my own.
Old 12/6/05, 07:44 PM
Closet American

Consider this:

The thing that worries me is why would Road & Track put this 90% finished vehicle on their cover so close to the official unveil?

Why not put the ACTUAL production car on your cover this close to the autoshow; makes a lot more sense?

I suspect it's because THIS IS the final car. And if that assumption is correct, it's been heavily de-contented.
Old 12/6/05, 08:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@December 6, 2005, 8:47 PM
Consider this:

The thing that worries me is why would Road & Track put this 90% finished vehicle on their cover so close to the official unveil?

Why not put the ACTUAL production car on your cover this close to the autoshow; makes a lot more sense?

I suspect it's because THIS IS the final car. And if that assumption is correct, it's been heavily de-contented.
It's probably the final version of the convertible. Actual production pictures of the '06 Z06 were accidently released via the Motortrend website a month before the autoshow. GM supposedly was po'd. Motortrend had the pictures and article ready to go to coincide with the unveiling of the Z06 at the autoshow. Ooops, they were released and all over the net.
Old 12/6/05, 08:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Where is the 2007 Shelby GT-500 Mustang going to unveiled at? Sorry if a repeat question!
Old 12/6/05, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@December 5, 2005, 9:25 PM
This is likely the same car Shelby is standing in front of in that pic.

I bet the times are underestimated just like the power is. They don't want law suit because the car is not capable of the advertised performance.
You beat me to it.
Old 12/7/05, 01:47 AM
Closet American

I don't know what it is, but that car makes me :sleep:

Maybe it's the lack of stripes.

Maybe it's those truly gawd awful hood...'things'.

Maybe it's the shade of red (kinda dull).

Maybe it's the fact it doesn't say SHELBY anywhere on the outside of the car (why are we paying for his name, exactly?)

Maybe it's the vintage buggy axle in a world full of sophisticated IRS competitors (sort of like bringing a flint-lock to a Glock party, IMHO).

Maybe it's the near 4000 lb weight. :shock:

I dunno.
Old 12/7/05, 03:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@December 7, 2005, 2:50 AM
....... (sort of like bringing a flint-lock to a Glock party, IMHO).

I'll have to use that one!!!
Old 12/7/05, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm sorry but I just can't get excited about a 4,000 lb car. I really liked the concept/pre-production version, but every change they have made from that car has gone in the wrong direction. Don't get me wrong, it will still be a neat car - probably a great car and a pretty good value once you can get one for MSRP. But you're getting dangerously close to C6 money, and that is a more complete car as much as it pains me to say it.
Old 12/7/05, 08:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by slowjoe24@December 6, 2005, 10:50 PM
Where is the 2007 Shelby GT-500 Mustang going to unveiled at? Sorry if a repeat question!
Detroit. North American International Auto Show (NAIAS).
Old 12/7/05, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Does this mean we'll only see the convertible GT500. Follow this link. It's the cars being introduced at the NAIAS next year. Errrrrr.
http://www.naias.com/section.asp?sec...2&categoryID=8

Maybe I should of read more. It says this at the buttom of that page:
More introductions are planned but have not been publicly announced by the manufacturers.

FORD better not jack us.
Old 12/7/05, 11:13 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby+December 7, 2005, 2:50 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BC_Shelby @ December 7, 2005, 2:50 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't know what it is, but that car makes me :sleep:

Maybe it's the lack of stripes.

Maybe it's those truly gawd awful hood...'things'.

Maybe it's the shade of red (kinda dull).

Maybe it's the fact it doesn't say SHELBY anywhere on the outside of the car (why are we paying for his name, exactly?)

Maybe it's the vintage buggy axle in a world full of sophisticated IRS competitors (sort of like bringing a flint-lock to a Glock party, IMHO).

Maybe it's the near 4000 lb weight. :shock:

I dunno.
[/b]

The car has certainly lost a significant amount of it's original luster as Ford has removed and modified the content. If the car debuts without the concept's leather interior, that may be the final straw for me. The only appealing features the car has retained are the front fascia, the big brakes, the 5.4L SC engine and the 6 spd transmission. Those features alone do not justify the additional cost and definitely doesn't make the car worthy of SVT heritage.

The GT500 certainly appears to be a step down from previous SVT offerings. Why? :scratch: I continue to believe that Ford could have provided the additional pcontent if they weren't paying old 'Shel a premium to use his name. Guess we will have our final answer in about 30 days.

<!--QuoteBegin-Route 66
@December 7, 2005, 11:41 AM
Does this mean we'll only see the convertible GT500. Follow this link. It's the cars being introduced at the NAIAS next year. Errrrrr.
http://www.naias.com/section.asp?sec...2&categoryID=8
[/quote]

Given the RT article, we may only see the 'Vert. While that would definitely stink, we would still know what the final content would be for the coupe.
Old 12/7/05, 06:35 PM
V6 Member

It only looks good from the front. Still has the ugly unpained side skirts. THe GT looks better than that car from the side. The back is ugly as well. I hope those things change.
Old 12/7/05, 09:48 PM
Cobra Member

Stock vs. Stock, I think the GT looks better than the GT500. I said looks my friends, not internals.
Old 12/8/05, 06:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Needed fixes:

- Paint the skirts body color (duh...)
- Get the 19s from the concept (C'mon, GT has 18s)
- Get the hood from the concept (Or remove those black plastic 'objects')
- Shelby name delete pkg (No offense)
- Use the Ford GT alum. block w/dry sump (A man can dream, no?)
- While I'm dreaming, a twin-screw would have been nice

Not gonna happen, but that's what it would take to get me in one.
Old 12/8/05, 06:35 PM
Cam Tease

I couldn't care less about decontenting--IRS excepted...okay and the twin-screw--if only the price dropped with it.
Old 12/19/05, 11:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

I got this mag finally. A few interesting tidbits, some have been mentioned already:

The red stitching is there on the Steering wheel and seats.

It does not look like it has the perforated leather on the wheel like the show car.

IT has thumb grips at 10:00 and 2:00.

There is not a real good shot of the dash, but, it doesn't look like it is leather in the steering wheel/instr panel shot.

The seats do look like the higher quality textured leather.

Factory X-pipe.

programmable shift light.

10,000/year.

Quick Reply: New GT 500 convertible pics?