Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

New GT 500 convertible pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/05, 10:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great....except for the hood of course
Old 12/4/05, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

anyone notice the 6k redline... Kind of sucks. In an earlier post by brad they said that vert would not get the stripes or the shelby lettering... If the vert is 44k that puts us right around 40 for the coupe... Yeehaw.
Old 12/4/05, 02:15 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by futuresvt@December 3, 2005, 2:29 PM
It looks like they may be staying with the black lower side moldings and chin spoiler, etc.

WTF, a $15K - $20K price increase over a GT and that's it (if production, and why would ford release such pics so close to production reveal if that wasn't close!!), basically just an forged F-150 motor with an Eaton?

A C6 just keeps looking better and better.

I agree, I'm glad I decided on the GT. It just looks way better IMO. Put a SC on the [lighter] 4.6 and your off to the races! The Cobra looks like a whale shark in the front!
Old 12/4/05, 03:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's about $12K over a loaded GT and offers upgraded engine, suspension, brakes, interior, wheels/tires and LOOKS.

By the time you do all those upgrades to a GT you will be well over the price of the Shelby.
Old 12/4/05, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with Kevin. While it doesn't have all the show car stuff, I like the look. Muscular, but subdued. I think this car is priced correctly (if $44k is accurate). Even though I don't like the hood as much as the show car, I like the fact that it's functional, and has this design for a reason (cooling & airflow). It has grown on me, though. If I can get one @ sticker, I'm buying. Tungsten w/black top, gray interior...

(say it........Tungsten!!!)
Old 12/4/05, 05:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by crispy23c@December 4, 2005, 5:32 PM
I agree with Kevin. While it doesn't have all the show car stuff, I like the look. Muscular, but subdued. I think this car is priced correctly (if $44k is accurate). Even though I don't like the hood as much as the show car, I like the fact that it's functional, and has this design for a reason (cooling & airflow). It has grown on me, though. If I can get one @ sticker, I'm buying. Tungsten w/black top, gray interior...

(say it........Tungsten!!!)
Tungsten would make the hood look less akward. I like it anyway, but, for those that don't it might make it less obvious.
Old 12/4/05, 06:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Other than the hood, I like it. I am very happy the black trim made it in, I know some people don't like it, but I do (especially in the back).
Old 12/4/05, 06:20 PM
GT Member

The hood still offends me. :angry:
Old 12/4/05, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Wolf@December 4, 2005, 7:23 PM
The hood still offends me. :angry:
That's OK. With any luck, you'll be looking only at the rear-end of mine...as I dust you
Old 12/4/05, 07:45 PM
V6 Member

Do you really think you can get one for $44k? The Ford GT was supposed to sell for $150k.
Old 12/5/05, 12:46 AM
Closet American

“For horsepower, performance and price, I don’t see anything else out there,†says automotive legend Carroll Shelby, talking about the competition for the 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 Convertible. “I don’t know anywhere you can get nearly 500 honest horsepower with four seats.â€
Wait till the R/T Challenger comes out, Shel.

Love the new-look Mustang?
Not if this is the final result. The vents are horrid, it still sports the cheap, plastic side mirrors, there's no S H E L B Y letters across the back and the seats look identical to the ones in the GT. Plus I can't tell if the full leather interior made production.

Love the thought of having a thumping 475-horsepower (estimated) American supercharged V-8 in a convertible?
Duh.

Interested in accelerating from a standstill to 60 mph in around 4.5 seconds ? for around $44,000?
4.5 seconds! :shock: That's only a tenth of a second faster than last year's Cobra!

We thought you might ? that’s why we couldn’t resist putting this mighty new Shelby Mustang on our cover.
You thought wrong. Resist, PLEASE.
Old 12/5/05, 07:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@December 5, 2005, 2:49 AM
Wait till the R/T Challenger comes out, Shel.
Not if this is the final result. The vents are horrid, it still sports the cheap, plastic side mirrors, there's no S H E L B Y letters across the back and the seats look identical to the ones in the GT. Plus I can't tell if the full leather interior made production.
Duh.
4.5 seconds! :shock: That's only a tenth of a second faster than last year's Cobra!
You thought wrong. Resist, PLEASE.
BC, I thought you were a fan. What happened?
Old 12/5/05, 03:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@December 5, 2005, 8:48 AM
BC, I thought you were a fan. What happened?
Wow, BC are you doing alright or are you dreaming of a Challenger now?

I don't blame you if you are but I have to agree with Crazyhorse that you are singing a slightly different toon now.

Old 12/5/05, 04:14 PM
Closet American

I know, I know, guys. It's just that more and more this is starting to feel like it isn't going to be the car they promised us - the one they showed us in NY.

And it's POing me. :angry:
Old 12/5/05, 04:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Roger that BC, we have 34 more days until the unveiling. Let's wait and see first before we make the final cut on this. Maybe we will be surprised in a good way.

Old 12/5/05, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think the root of the problem is they showed us more than they can or even wanted to deliver in that show car. It was such a hit that we have been hoping to get that exact car. Most of that was never intended to be produced.

Look at the 2005 concept. 2 seater, futuristic gauges/instruments, etc. At least the differences aren't that dramatic.

This car will grow on us as is. It is still the baddest factory Mustang ever to wear the badges.

My biggest complaint with previous Mustangs was quality. Hopefully that has been addressed. Taking away the quality, beautiful leather interior of the concept is not a step in the right direction. We'll see in about 34 days.
Old 12/5/05, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 24FAN@December 4, 2005, 8:48 PM
Do you really think you can get one for $44k? The Ford GT was supposed to sell for $150k.
Uhh, yeah. They made only 1500/yr, and they still have '05s on the lot..and you can find these at sticker now. Shelby will be 7-10k/year for 2 years. Delusional? Maybe. Optimistic, definitely. Stupid, never
If I cannot get one at sticker, I will either wait for them to come down or go Challenger (or whatever) shopping. This car is supposed to be my toy. I can be patient. Do you know how long it took me to find my last Shelby? 10 years, but I got exactly what I wanted. This is a cake walk by comparison!!!

BC, we all know what a die hard fan you were. Who knows, maybe January will have some surprises
Old 12/5/05, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

So, after dealer markup you'll be paying 70k for...

A Whipple SC
FR500 wheels
A body kit and a pretty ugly hood
A glorified Steeda suspension
And the Shelby name, which doesn't appear to have even made it to the decklid.

Did I miss anything? Don't get me wrong, for 44k it's an "okay" deal. But for what they are planning on marking it up to, no thanks...

I'm a meat and bread kind of guy. I'll buy me a Whipple and a coilover suspension kit and be done with it, heck with the markup on these I could likely get the aftermarket IRS kit for the 05-06 GT's and still come out well below the Cobra.

All that said, I like it, good looking car.
Old 12/5/05, 07:18 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like a pony badge on the back too...

They probably got an 'almost production model'

and the times are estimated....

It'll be quicker... no doubt...
Old 12/5/05, 08:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TexaStang@December 5, 2005, 9:07 PM
So, after dealer markup you'll be paying 70k for...

A Whipple SC
FR500 wheels
A body kit and a pretty ugly hood
A glorified Steeda suspension
And the Shelby name, which doesn't appear to have even made it to the decklid.

Did I miss anything? Don't get me wrong, for 44k it's an "okay" deal. But for what they are planning on marking it up to, no thanks...

I'm a meat and bread kind of guy. I'll buy me a Whipple and a coilover suspension kit and be done with it, heck with the markup on these I could likely get the aftermarket IRS kit for the 05-06 GT's and still come out well below the Cobra.

All that said, I like it, good looking car.
Where do you get 70k?

I understand the fear of markups, but, that is rediculous. I bet #1 goes for that or more. #2-500 (that's an average of 10 idiots per state) for $45-50k and the rest for MSRP or less.

This is NOT a Ford GT or Enzo or Carrerra GT. It is a regular Mustang.

Quick Reply: New GT 500 convertible pics?