Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

More Details About the Ford Shelby Cobra GT500

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/05, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by wakerider017@May 18, 2005, 9:53 PM
lol, your a smarthiney Robert!
It's a gift.
Old 5/19/05, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by wakerider017@May 18, 2005, 9:04 PM
Didn't mean to type your name. It was supposed to say "dig it".

But hey take it easy pal, no need to get you panties in a wad!
Thanks, Nick.
Old 5/19/05, 05:54 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Dig-It@May 19, 2005, 3:27 AM
Thanks, Nick.

Lol, I cant get a brake.

If you say you called SVT, I believe you.

Lets just hope its true!
Old 5/19/05, 06:29 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Robert@May 18, 2005, 2:22 PM
Nice try, but no cigar. People who never ask questions are not automatically held to "know everything," because let's face it, nobody knows "everything," and those who think they do are arrogant. And those who follow them are lemmings.
I was just pointing out how flawed your statement was.
Old 5/19/05, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by wakerider017@May 19, 2005, 6:57 AM
Lol, I cant get a brake.

Lets just hope its true!

I'm with you, bro.

There's been a lot of hipe coming out of Ford about the next Cobra ever since the '05 Mustang prototypes were shown. Then SVT embodied these words (except the part about IRS) into the Shelby at the last NY Auto show. Ford would enrage too many enthusiasts if the production GT500 is too far off the mark.

SVT set the bar and they know we're going to hold them to it!
Old 5/19/05, 07:56 AM
GT Member

Robert, your last name wouldnt be "Lane" would it!!!! LOL!!!
Old 5/19/05, 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@May 19, 2005, 6:32 AM
I was just pointing out how flawed your statement was.
And I yours.
Old 5/20/05, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by wakerider017@May 19, 2005, 5:57 AM
Lol, I cant get a brake.

Lets just hope its true!
If you can afford the Z06, which I'm sure you can (doc), then why would you want a car that has no style and no class. The interiors are cheap and flimsey, and the car has had the stingray appearance for years. It just looks to common place to spend that kind of money. Just my opinion.

If they made it look like a '65, no contest, it would definately be one of the sweeter muscle cars.
Old 5/21/05, 02:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by MustangFanatic@May 18, 2005, 11:09 AM
I agree with crazyhorse, we need to make our voices heard. As 200mphcobra indicated, the Probe was almost the Mustang back in the '80's and if it hadn't been for those who cried foul, Ford would have made the change resulting in the probable demise of the Mustang. Those who voiced their opinions then saved the Mustang from certain death. While this isn't the same dire situation, we do need to be sure Ford knows the opinions of its customers and that we want a car as unique and stunning as the GT500 concept, not a watered down version. I too was around in '84 when the 20th Anniversary model was promised with 350 hp, etc. What we got was a tape job and a dash decal. If we are silent on this issue, Ford could certainly take the same direction and we can only blame ourselves for not speaking out.

Regardless of whether we as individuals are upset at the potential loss of this feature or that, what we should be concerned about is the direction Ford is taking. The sheer fact that Ford is engaging in a campaign to reduce the content of the GT500, not modify or upgrade it should be cause for concern among all of us who love our 'stangs regardless of model. Should we allow Ford to use the GT500 concept as the high water mark with the intention of removing content to satisfy the bean counters? I say NO!! As others have stated, the GT500 is a halo car, one that establishes the corporate image. Should we allow Ford to "discount" the one car that is most closely aligned with our favorite manufacturer? Absolutely not. If the bean counters want to save $, decontent another high volume model where they can achieve real savings, not their image car. I know some of you will argue that the GT is the image car. I would agree with that statement but add that the Mustang and the GT500 is the image car for the masses. Few of us have "Leno" money and can buy cars in the GT's stratospheric price range. Therefore, we are grounded in the reality of mortgages and college tuitions and our ultimate car is the GT500.

Ford doesn't make huge profits on the Mustang, (GT500 or otherwise), they make it on SUV's and trucks. So why nickel and dime the ultimate Mustang when in the big scheme of things, the profit per car on the Mustang will not make or break Ford financially? What the Mustang establishes is Ford's identity in the marketplace and also helps Ford sell their high volume cars to loyal Mustang owners who want to support their favorite car company. I'm sure there are others like me who own other Ford products not just Mustangs. As loyal Ford enthusiasts we also act as ambassadors for the Mustang and for Ford by what we drive and by our enthusiasm for our favorite Pony car.

The GT500 is about the total car, not just the 450 hp engine, 6 speed trans, Brembo brakes, vented hood, leather interior, etc. It is about the entire sum of all those features that creates the appeal. Removing any of those features effectively damages the image the car is built to portray. As others have already pointed out, if Ford didn't mean for all of these features to be considered in the production car, why introduce them on a concept that by their own profession is nearly identical to what they would like to produce? By utilizing bait-n-switch techniques, Ford has only created an opportunity to disappoint customers rather than "wow" them. The GT500 is a gorgeous, stunning car and should be produced at least as shown in concept form, possibly with some additional options and enhancements, certainly not with less content.

Ford if you are listening, build the concept, the buyers will come. :worship:
Excellent point of view. Couldn't have said it better myself.