Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Functional Scoops For The GT500

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/05, 09:24 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when the Gt came out the aftermarket jumped on the small quarter windows with a variety of tacked on scoops. Some looked better than others, but after following it for a while, I don't recall ever seeing one that worked as a vent, ala 67'. I've also never seen an interior picture with a functional scoop attached to a 05'. Has anyone come across a manufacturer that builds a functional quarter scoop? That is the one change I am going to make to my GT500!
Old 4/7/05, 09:44 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
The '67/'68 window scoops aside from looking great, their main function was for cabin ventilation. The design problem which would need to be addressed is finding a way to prevent water from coming into the body.
Old 4/7/05, 11:19 AM
V6 Member

To each his own, but I have definite opinions on the subject of vents/rear quarter windows. The current Mustang has rear quarter windows, which are both functional and practical. I know most of us already know these things, but I will elaborate for completeness. In 1965, when the fastback body style came out, there were vents in the rear quarter section. These were very functional as because you opened vents under the dash and vents in the rear quarters which allowed a sort of flow through venting to take place. This was by and large because air conditioning at this time was still very much a luxury. The rear quarter vents carried through all the way to the 1968 model.

For the purpose of racing and performance, visibility is of a high importance. In 1966 the Shelby Mustang replaced the vents with a window. For purposes of venting the car - not a good idea. For purposes of visibility for performance driving - a fabulous idea! I used to ride in a 65 fastback all the time. Visibility in these cars is not the best.

The reason that the rear quarter window was discontinued in the 67 Shelby was that the construction of the rear quarter area was revised. There was now no hole in which a window would fit. The louvers were stamped into the body. To cover these up on the 67 model, a scoop was fashioned, which was also functional as a vent. Unfortunately, this along with other design elements in the 67 model signaled the beginning of style over function in the Shelby line. This lament, however, is better suited to another thread. Suffice it to say that I think a 67 model would have looked way better with a 3/4 rear window, but there wasn't a practical way to install one.

Fast forward to today. Modern Mustangs have much better venting systems and airconditioning!! Ride in a 68 Shelby with no airconditioning - but with all the vents open - and then ride in a 2005 GT both on a summer day and see if you notice anything. Also, take both to the drag strip and see if you notice anything.

As a person who has lived these experiences, I can certainly say that I believe that changing out the rear quarter window for a scoop or even louvers is a step in the direction of looks over functionality, practicality, and safety. It also seems to me to be counterproductive and out moded in a fully modern automobile. This is my opinion and my facts to substantiate it.
Old 4/7/05, 06:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I heard somewhere the side scoops were to direct wind over the ducktail. I'd always thought that was neat, but it sounds like it isn't true.
Old 4/7/05, 09:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the vents were to help airflow so you didn't have a pocket of air blowing backwards at you in the middle of the car.

What we need is a little motor and a hinge so the back windows can be opened very slightly (like in minivans) to let some of that air out. Then you'd have both a functional vent, and a functional quarter window.