Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Dealers to encourage bidding wars on Shelby GT500s

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/05, 10:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by runfox@November 29, 2005, 11:43 PM
Its is amazing what people will pay for new cars. After talking to salemen trying to buy my 05 GT I have heard many stories of crazy prices for new Ford models.The dealers charge what the market will bear or idiots will pay.

I heard the same story when looking for my 05, no X-plan.I found a dealrship that would let me order exactly what I wanted on x-plan, after a lot of searching. Most dealers were adding 25k "Market Value" to the MSRPs of 05 GT.s I heard similar stories for the Thunderbirds when they first came out also, and of course crazy prices for the Ford GT, 200k and up.

I am sure the GT500 prices will amaze everyone, and we will hear of unbelievalbe crazy prices asked for and paid for. Think of it thsi way, if an original 68 Shelby GT500 can sell for over 100k, and they have, what is a brand new( not 30 some odd years old) Shelby GT500 worth, with up to date performance and more HP than any of the originals ever had? And even more important what will this new 07 GT500 be worth when Carrol Chelby is gone ( he is what in his 80's)?
If I had the money, which off course I dont, I would buy one some how, preserve it ( I have heard of some sort of plastic shrink wrap type deal), and wait. Probably drive it occationally on weekends. And when Carrol is gone in some twenty some years, that car would be worth crazy money, if not more than the original 65 - 69 cars. I gaurentee more than a few people will buy these cars for future investment alone. Carrol cant live forever, and when he is gone, no more "Shebly's"!!

This isn't going to be a collector car so if any one is planning on buying it to resell and think they can make loads of money I have some swamp land in Florida for sale real cheap........

It's not going to be on Barrett Jackson going for tripple digits any time soon. It's a freaking Mustang GT with Shelby stickers on it!!! :bang: To make matters worse, he had nothing to do with the car. Zip, zilch, nada!!! He drove it, made some suggestions, and now it's a "Shelby"??? :scratch: This is only a marketing ploy by the Ford brass to suck our hard earned money out of our pockets. The car will have awesome performance but it isn't worth any thing over 40 grand.

My advice is wait for the initial fuss to die down and you will get one for under MSRP. Same thing happened with the 03/04 Cobra's when they first came out. These insane mark ups couldn't happen if there weren't any idiots out there who actually paid them. The cars would sit on the dealers lots and rot until they discounted them. Unfortunately there are stupid people out there who will pay the mark ups and that is why we have to deal with this crap!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorry, dealer mark ups is one of my biggest hang ups. I feel better now that I got that off my chest...........
Old 11/29/05, 10:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@November 29, 2005, 9:51 AM
You know, that could be a public relations nightmare for Ford if they did that. I'm with MSP I'll just wait a few years and buy USED, because you know someone will get bored.

Its not like they're making 20 of 'em, they'll be maiing thousdands, so it's just Dealers be greedy with the first few they get.

Jerks.

BINGO ... thats what the smart buyer will do. Look at the C6 Corvette when it came out ... those mama flowers ( colorful metaphor ) jacked the price by 20,000 ... no way would you pay for that car. Always trust KBB to see what the car is really worth ...

also important to know ( and looking for clarification ) ... is your car's DMV renewal based on the purchase price and then depreciated or the car's KBB value, regardless of how much you paid for it?

Just sit back and wait for the 07, 08, 09 rides; I am sure there is plenty to choose from ... I am hoping for a non SC car.

eeeeeeeeee
Old 11/30/05, 06:15 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by runfox@November 29, 2005, 9:43 PM
Its is amazing what people will pay for new cars. After talking to . And when Carrol is gone in some twenty some years, that car would be worth crazy money, if not more than the original 65 - 69 cars. I gaurentee more than a few people will buy these cars for future investment alone. Carrol cant live forever, and when he is gone, no more "Shebly's"!!
I really don't undersand how you can say that.
Henry Ford has been dead for almost 60 years and they're still making Fords. As long as there is money to be made on the Shelby name, somehow cars will be made with the Shelby name on them.

I also question how valuable GT-500s will be in the future. In 6 years about 14,000 GT-350s and GT-500s were made. As of now Ford is planning on making more of the new GT-500s in 2 years. And just like the Terminator Cobras and Mach 1s, Ford will probably keep making new GT-500s until the market is saturated.
Old 11/30/05, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@November 29, 2005, 10:20 AM

Old chinese saying:
Most honolable Fold dealels will have picnic with most enthusiastic Shelby dummies!!!

Belly, belly good!!!.

George, I have to ask, what was the mark-up you paid on your 04 mystichrome???

The ones i saw here in JAX all had $5K-$10K mark-ups...
Old 11/30/05, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 29, 2005, 5:23 PM
Maybe they're charging by weight.
Old 12/1/05, 01:36 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by futuresvt@December 1, 2005, 12:44 AM
George, I have to ask, what was the mark-up you paid on your 04 mystichrome???

The ones i saw here in JAX all had $5K-$10K mark-ups...
Mine had a $5K AMV but did not pay it. I paid $2K under MSRP roughly $1K over invoice.

I bought mine in May 2004, two months before the rebates. There were 10 coupes available through out the state at the time. I negotiated with dealers in Margate and Clearwater. Both got the AMV off the table within a couple of minutes of the conversation and offered similar deals but the one in Clearwater was 150 miles closer.

One point of interest. I believe my car was built in January, meaning, it was probably sitting in the lot for 3-4 months, meaning, there were not too many takers willing to shed $43.5K, meaning, the GT500 will be in the same predicament within a few months.
Old 12/1/05, 06:07 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by StangFreak@November 30, 2005, 12:15 AM
This isn't going to be a collector car so if any one is planning on buying it to resell and think they can make loads of money I have some swamp land in Florida for sale real cheap........

It's not going to be on Barrett Jackson going for tripple digits any time soon. It's a freaking Mustang GT with Shelby stickers on it!!! :bang: To make matters worse, he had nothing to do with the car. Zip, zilch, nada!!! He drove it, made some suggestions, and now it's a "Shelby"??? :scratch: This is only a marketing ploy by the Ford brass to suck our hard earned money out of our pockets. The car will have awesome performance but it isn't worth any thing over 40 grand.

My advice is wait for the initial fuss to die down and you will get one for under MSRP. Same thing happened with the 03/04 Cobra's when they first came out. These insane mark ups couldn't happen if there weren't any idiots out there who actually paid them. The cars would sit on the dealers lots and rot until they discounted them. Unfortunately there are stupid people out there who will pay the mark ups and that is why we have to deal with this crap!!! :bang: :bang: :bang:

Sorry, dealer mark ups is one of my biggest hang ups. I feel better now that I got that off my chest...........
I agree, short of the Cobra R models (only a few hundred were made), the hasn't been a collector mustang in the last 20 years. I had an 85 Saleen is a pretty rare beast, and they made less 85 Saleens than they did 65 Shelbys, so why doesn't the value of them jump? Performance. Every year, the the performance of the mustang increases, so why would anyone want a 20 year old, 210 hp car, when they can have something newer and faster. The cars from the 60s are the exception.

I remember hearing the same thing about the 03/04 Cobras and Mach 1s when they came out. A local dealer has an 03 anniversary Cobra Convertible with under 10K miles. The price? $25.7K. That's a far cry from the $48K they were demanding when it sat on the showroom floor.

Wait guys, the hype will die down, and the prices will too.
Old 12/1/05, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

yeah only 20% of the ford gt's have been sold and I paid 23500 including ttt and no money down... Wait, its well worth it... I love me mach...

Roger
Old 12/2/05, 07:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mr-mstng@November 29, 2005, 5:54 PM
I'm one of those that waited and got a steal of a deal.

Good things come to those who wait...
Definitely wait - since many of us who bought early were hearing it was a 1-year only run of 6500, that's why I paid the MSRP. After about 2 or 3 months, when there were 8000 orders, Ford upped the production. Months later, people got the amazing deals.

I wonder how many orders will be submitted to Ford. That might give people an idea of how "rare" these will be.
Old 12/14/05, 01:46 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another example of price gouging - if true - just surfaced on the BB over at Stangnet:

"Rancho Santa Margarita Ford in California is getting five SHELBYS....all five are PRE-SOLD at $55,000.00....that is $10,000.00 over the MSRP of $45,000.00 ---- if you want one first, YOU will pay!!!!!"
Sounds a whif suspicious to me...i thought dealerships hadn't yet received Shelby allocations?

If it's true, it's amazing that people will pay that much, given that it doesn't say SHELBY on the car anymore, and given how heavily de-contented the car now appears to be.