Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Anyone disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/05, 01:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overall it looks decent.

But I think Ford dropped the ball on the rear end - too much like the GT with what looks like a tacked on ducktail - and not enough brightwork in the interior. And the center console is identical...an upgrade here would have been nice.

I think more aggressive rubber would also be a good thing.

Again, overall, it passes muster, but you can definitely see the effects of cost-cutting.
Old 3/23/05, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

After looking at all the side by side shots, I am warming up to this monster very quickly .... It is significantly different from the GT .....
Old 3/23/05, 06:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by snkbtn99@March 23, 2005, 8:05 AM
After looking at all the side by side shots, I am warming up to this monster very quickly .... It is significantly different from the GT .....
It had me at Hello.
Old 3/23/05, 06:41 AM
Bullitt Member

If I can get this car with no options for around $35K, I'll be on it like white on rice.

Sure it's got some compromises, but ALL cars are a series of compromises. The less expensive the car is, the more the compromises. To keep this car under $40K, Ford has to give up something. Personally, I'm glad they gave up IRS and some styling instead of going weak on the powertrain.

450bhp+ supercharged 5.4L 3V and a T-56...that's just phenomenal at this price point. I could not be more pleased.
Old 3/23/05, 06:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MrMorden@March 23, 2005, 7:44 AM
If I can get this car with no options for around $35K, I'll be on it like white on rice.
Hey, watch out for flaming the ricers, you might offend someone!
Old 3/23/05, 07:03 AM
GT Member

Personally, I don't even have my GT yet. But, I expect it to be delivered next week. First thing I'll tell my dealer is "when these start production, call me. I'll put a deposit on the first one you order".

This is just too sweet.

Don't know why anyone is getting your panties in a bunch. The solid rear axle is a great one. I'd probably prefer it over IRS in this car. 450+ HP? You can't female dog about that. Price that will be roughly the same as the lame (and soon to be departed) GTO?

Bravo....great job, Ford.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 3/23/05, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I think that the Shelby delivers exactly what it intends to; exceptional performance and retro styling at a great price.

There is not one new car on the market that can match the formula that Ford has concocted. I looked at a new Vette a month ago. With basic options, the car is at least 5K more than the estimated price of the Shelby. Yes, there are going to be some cost saving measures employed (hopefully not including unpainted side mirrors). So what if it doesn’t have an independent suspension. How many people who purchase such performance cars like the Mustang GT or the Shelby will ever push the car far enough to expose the limitations of the live axle?

They improved the interior, took the exterior to the gym and dropped the soul of satan under the hood.

Way...To…Go….Ford!!!
Old 3/23/05, 08:17 AM

The only thing that dissapoints me is that the thing is a rolling billboard. "Shelby", "Cobra", "GT500", "Ford"...how many other adjectives can they paste on this car?

That being said...

I still am going to order one on the first day ordering becomes available, take delivery as soon as humanly possible, and drive the $*&^@ out of it and turn a few heads... :w00t:
Old 3/23/05, 08:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by markski74@March 23, 2005, 9:52 AM
I think that the Shelby delivers exactly what it intends to; exceptional performance and retro styling at a great price.

There is not one new car on the market that can match the formula that Ford has concocted. I looked at a new Vette a month ago. With basic options, the car is at least 5K more than the estimated price of the Shelby. Yes, there are going to be some cost saving measures employed (hopefully not including unpainted side mirrors). So what if it doesn’t have an independent suspension. How many people who purchase such performance cars like the Mustang GT or the Shelby will ever push the car far enough to expose the limitations of the live axle?

They improved the interior, took the exterior to the gym and dropped the soul of satin under the hood.

Way...To…Go….Ford!!!

Good post. It loses a little with the soul of Satin, though. I want mine with the soul of Satan.
Old 3/23/05, 09:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

You said it Kevin!

..and all heck followed him... (edited for content)

Old 3/23/05, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120+March 23, 2005, 2:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinb120 @ March 23, 2005, 2:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by burningman@March 22, 2005, 8:50 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-snkbtn99
@March 22, 2005, 8:48 PM
That car better not top $40k .....

it will..two words "dealer greed"
Dealer greed nothing, try to buy a Coach purse or a diamond at cost sometime. talk about profit. sticker to invoice is 8% on cars, much less then any other commodity. WANTING TOO MUCH STUFF FOR ONES BUDGET makes it seem expensive, not the window sticker. When was the last time you negotiated your groceries, gas, a TV set, or a bottle of water? Dealers wished they made Evian profit. If you bought $40,000 worth of Coach purses, and $40,000 worth of automobile, who do think makes more money? People talk crap about buying a car all day long while laying down(or bending over) for every single other thing they buy.
[/b][/quote]

C'mon, man. You make it sound as if a car dealership is a non-profit operation. If the car business was a "break-even" as you describe, dealership owners would put their capital elsewhere. Of course the profit on one car (assuming 8% over invoice) isn't much. However, spread that over hundreds of cars sold monthly by an owner's multiple dealerships and you get a nice piece of change--especially if the yahoo buying is paying sticker or more. Also, dealerships don't pay the full invoice of for every item in the inventory--they pay monthly installments until its sold. The same can't be said of many other commondities.
Old 3/23/05, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse+March 23, 2005, 9:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crazyhorse @ March 23, 2005, 9:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-markski74@March 23, 2005, 9:52 AM

They improved the interior, took the exterior to the gym and dropped the soul of satin under the hood.

Way...To…Go….Ford!!!

Good post. It loses a little with the soul of Satin, though. I want mine with the soul of Satan.
[/b][/quote]

I guess I paid for posting while I should be working! Maybe I was thinking of the satin interior that is absent from the Shelby....
Old 3/23/05, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not disappointed with what's under the hood!

I do think that the GT looks better than the GT500. I think that Ford wanted to keep the GT500 under $40K, and that is evident in the styling of the car. I mean they didn't do a whole lot to the car from a visual standpoint except for the graphics. As people have already said, it looks more like the V6 than a GT.

But, I still think the GT500 is a great car, and overall I'm not disappointed. I do think they could have done more with the interior/exterior styling, but then we probably wouldn't have a sub - $40K car.
Old 3/23/05, 10:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think the styling is perfect. It isn't overdone, which is what I was afraid of.
Old 3/23/05, 10:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by crazyhorse@March 23, 2005, 11:05 AM
I think the styling is perfect. It isn't overdone, which is what I was afraid of.
I agree. It's actually following the same formula as the 03/04 Cobras: subtle exterior changes that make it distinctive from the GT but not overdone.
Old 3/23/05, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Cobras have always been about performance, not really on looks. SVT stuck to the original formula make the interior and exterior different but not overdone and put most of the money where it counts UNDER THE HOOD.. If you want side air scoops go after market and get them. This car is awesome.
Old 3/23/05, 10:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

I think it would be cool if the hood louvers had turn signals in them like the original '67 or '68 hoods did
Old 3/23/05, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

I'm disappointed in the stripes and the "over the top" badging but I'm not disappointed in the HP or the brakes.

Delete the striping and remove the SHELBY lettering on the tail, paint the entire car a single color, keep the price around $35K and I'll buy the first one off the line. I would have loved to see an IRS but I'm sure Ford will offer one in future models. :worship:
Old 3/23/05, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

This car has given me raging wood!!!!

It is exactly right. I wonder if they are coming out with the, Black with gold stripes combination!

I love the shelby on the trunk, I love the hood, I LOVE THE HP AND TORQUE.

It is absolutely my intent to get this car and hold on to it until it's the classic that my 66 fastback is.

heck they're only making about 5000 of them. Shouldn't be a classic in 30 years. Wonder if I'll live that long?
Old 3/23/05, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by eric n@March 23, 2005, 1:40 PM
This car has given me raging wood!!!!
Wonder if I'll live that long?
Not if you walk around the rest of your life with "raging wood".

Quick Reply: Anyone disappointed?