Aftermarket 2005+ Mustangs Discuss the Offerings from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, Shinoda, and Others

Anyone disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 3/22/05, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by dingo+March 22, 2005, 8:20 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dingo @ March 22, 2005, 8:20 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX@March 22, 2005, 7:56 PM

Didn't the 60s Shelbys have black mirrors and cool stripes? I'm also sure it will take two minutes to buy a 1/4 window scoop or louver for this car if you want.
Actually all the way up to 1968 the Shelby GT's as well as the Mustangs all had a single chrome mirror to the driver's side. Then in 1969 the Mustangs included the option of the new bullet-styled body color mirrors on both sides of the car and this was of course standard on the Shelbys. The main purpose for the stripes Shelby used is because the driver's side stripe actually lines perfectly up with the driver's view in front of them so it makes cornering in a long hood car much easier, thus they are racing stripes.

As for the side scoop problem, I'm a little let down that SVT didn't take the time to engineer and design funcitonal working brake scoops as how Carroll Shelby did himself when he imagined them back in '65. Rather than just bolting on scoops just for looks. Still one heck of a car!

:worship:
[/b][/quote]

ummmm........ no

Lemans stripes were used long before shelby to distinguish different cars on the same racing team. Carrol Shelby was a racer a put them on his car which really to me seems only logical. But never did i hear of stripes helping a long hooded car corner :scratch:. Why sould you need stripes to line up for a turn? Oh well suppose i could just call up carrol and ask him, i wonder if he would take my call.........huh...oh well.
Old 3/22/05, 08:49 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by stoic21+March 22, 2005, 9:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stoic21 @ March 22, 2005, 9:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by dingo@March 22, 2005, 8:20 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX
@March 22, 2005, 7:56 PM

Didn't the 60s Shelbys have black mirrors and cool stripes? I'm also sure it will take two minutes to buy a 1/4 window scoop or louver for this car if you want.

Actually all the way up to 1968 the Shelby GT's as well as the Mustangs all had a single chrome mirror to the driver's side. Then in 1969 the Mustangs included the option of the new bullet-styled body color mirrors on both sides of the car and this was of course standard on the Shelbys. The main purpose for the stripes Shelby used is because the driver's side stripe actually lines perfectly up with the driver's view in front of them so it makes cornering in a long hood car much easier, thus they are racing stripes.

As for the side scoop problem, I'm a little let down that SVT didn't take the time to engineer and design funcitonal working brake scoops as how Carroll Shelby did himself when he imagined them back in '65. Rather than just bolting on scoops just for looks. Still one heck of a car!

:worship:

ummmm........ no

Lemans stripes were used long before shelby to distinguish different cars on the same racing team. Carrol Shelby was a racer a put them on his car which really to me seems only logical. But never did i hear of stripes helping a long hooded car corner :scratch:. Why sould you need stripes to line up for a turn? Oh well suppose i could just call up carrol and ask him, i wonder if he would take my call.........huh...oh well.
[/b][/quote]

Actually yes these stripes as well as other different patterns such as the offset "euro stripes" were used on the circuits. The way it works is that you get a better visual view of how your car lines up going through curves so that you can hit your marks. You also get a better picture way down the hood of where the center is at the end and trust me if you have never driven the beastly '71-'73 Mustangs the front hoods on those you could get lost with that. With longer hoods it's almost an illusion because you dont want to go into a turn too early or too late and the stripes help aid your visual perspective of the car. Shelby didn't really invent this concept, but his LeMans styled dual stripes has always been his trademark.

Likewise the flat blacked out hood of the Mach1 and Boss302s were to reduce glare of the sun on the track.
Old 3/22/05, 08:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Although it doesn't make me I think it's nice. Visually, the hood is ok and i'm not crazy about the grill. I know the offset cobra in the grill is retro, but I prefer symmetry. I don't really know how, but I expected it to look a little better. I'd still buy the monster, though.
Old 3/22/05, 09:04 PM

I hope the shelby is an option. I like the car, but would rather have a hood scoop and side scoops on it. the hood isn't that bad, but i think the sides look kinda naked without scoops. rather plain. Any word on whether it will come with an auto tranny as an option?
Old 3/22/05, 09:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by anaki+March 22, 2005, 8:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anaki @ March 22, 2005, 8:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-k-dubb@March 22, 2005, 8:36 PM
anaki, I like that a lot better, Ill just have the mirrors painted like i did on my 02. If this is an option, which i doubt, then the regular one (if the same power output) would save me a lot of money!
All the Shelby is going to be is a dressed up SVT Mustang. Why pay more money for some strips and a name?
[/b][/quote]

Assuming it pans out with an optional "Shelby Cobra GT500" package, I wonder if the rumored $36K figure would be for the "base" SVT Mustang Cobra. I wonder if 7500 cars would be the expected number produced for model year 2007. Perhaps the "Shelby Cobra GT500" package would be just a percentage of that total. Maybe the cost for a "Shelby Cobra GT500" package would add $2000 to $36K?

Hmmm...ramblings of someone whose been sitting on this forum all day!
Old 3/22/05, 10:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Tony Alonso+March 22, 2005, 10:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Alonso @ March 22, 2005, 10:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by anaki@March 22, 2005, 8:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-k-dubb
@March 22, 2005, 8:36 PM
anaki, I like that a lot better, Ill just have the mirrors painted like i did on my 02. If this is an option, which i doubt, then the regular one (if the same power output) would save me a lot of money!

All the Shelby is going to be is a dressed up SVT Mustang. Why pay more money for some strips and a name?
Assuming it pans out with an optional "Shelby Cobra GT500" package, I wonder if the rumored $36K figure would be for the "base" SVT Mustang Cobra. I wonder if 7500 cars would be the expected number produced for model year 2007. Perhaps the "Shelby Cobra GT500" package would be just a percentage of that total. Maybe the cost for a "Shelby Cobra GT500" package would add $2000 to $36K?

[/b][/quote]

The Shelby will be the more expensive of the two offerings.
Old 3/22/05, 10:18 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Two offerings? What are you implying?
Come on, man. It's after midnight.

BTW, and FYI, I have an uncle name Georgino.

Old 3/22/05, 10:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by anaki+March 22, 2005, 11:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anaki @ March 22, 2005, 11:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tony Alonso@March 22, 2005, 10:51 PM
[

The Shelby will be the more expensive of the two offerings.
[/b][/quote]

That would make sense...

I looked at that picture again. Striping, a few interior trim items, and badging would be different. I would expect the mechanicals to be the same. The hood should have the air extractor vents.

Hmmm...maybe I am coming off the "Shelby high" already.

To sum it up for me, curb weight and price will be at the top of the decision criteria list.
Old 3/22/05, 10:45 PM
V6 Member

autoweek states the 500 as 200lb more than the GT
Old 3/22/05, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by anaki+March 22, 2005, 9:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(anaki @ March 22, 2005, 9:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by k-dubb@March 22, 2005, 8:59 PM
Originally posted by anaki@March 22, 2005, 8:42 PM

I really cant see that happening. It looks like some sort of pre-production photo to me. I mean, it still has the cobra symbol even..so that would mean it would have to still be called the cobra, and then a shelby gt500 with the only difference being appearance??I think not.
You'll find out tomorrow.
[/b]

Why do you persist with this? Read below:

<!--QuoteBegin-kevinb120
@March 22, 2005, 11:56 PM
wtf is up with all this talk about two SVT's. I would think the cobra emblem on the shelby car would be enough for a 3rd grader to figure out. Its back on the car the same way it originally was, part of Shelby's medalion. This IS the SVT product, duh.
[/quote]
Old 3/22/05, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

me, i love the car, think it's gonna be amazing, but, with SHELBY on it, and only 7500 made a year, the dealers are gonna $%&# it up for everyone
Old 3/22/05, 11:07 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I'm not disappointed, but there are few things I would change.

Those rear lights for example. G0d, for some reason I don't like them at all. Not on V6 not on GT not on Shelby. They should be smaller.

Other than that everything looks great to me. Especially that fron end. Looks more like Concept than like V6/GT.
Old 3/22/05, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05Mustangfan@March 23, 2005, 12:09 AM
me, i love the car, think it's gonna be amazing, but, with SHELBY on it, and only 7500 made a year, the dealers are gonna $%&# it up for everyone
The simple answer to that is that if a dealer tries to $%&# you around, tell him to go $%&# himself and find a dealer willing to sell to you at MSRP.

No one should put up with that kind of $%&#ing price gouging. All this bloody talk about price gouging is enough to really me off and make me want to someone.

OK, I feel better now.
Old 3/22/05, 11:32 PM
V6 Member

very disappointed in the styling as compared to the regular GT.
Old 3/23/05, 12:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by burningman+March 22, 2005, 8:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burningman @ March 22, 2005, 8:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-snkbtn99@March 22, 2005, 8:48 PM
That car better not top $40k .....
it will..two words "dealer greed"
[/b][/quote]

Dealer greed nothing, try to buy a Coach purse or a diamond at cost sometime. talk about profit. sticker to invoice is 8% on cars, much less then any other commodity. WANTING TOO MUCH STUFF FOR ONES BUDGET makes it seem expensive, not the window sticker. When was the last time you negotiated your groceries, gas, a TV set, or a bottle of water? Dealers wished they made Evian profit. If you bought $40,000 worth of Coach purses, and $40,000 worth of automobile, who do think makes more money? People talk crap about buying a car all day long while laying down(or bending over) for every single other thing they buy.
Old 3/23/05, 12:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Robert+March 23, 2005, 1:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert @ March 23, 2005, 1:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-05Mustangfan@March 23, 2005, 12:09 AM
The simple answer to that is that if a dealer tries to $%&# you around, tell him to go $%&# himself and find a dealer willing to sell to you at MSRP.

No one should put up with that kind of $%&#ing price gouging. All this bloody talk about price gouging is enough to really me off and make me want to someone.

OK, I feel better now.
[/b][/quote]

I am sure they will have to make more then that, but the thought of you standing at the end of of a very long line cracks me up, heck, never mind being outside the building, you are'nt even in the same zip code
Old 3/23/05, 12:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120+March 23, 2005, 1:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kevinb120 @ March 23, 2005, 1:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Robert@March 23, 2005, 1:29 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-05Mustangfan
@March 23, 2005, 12:09 AM

OK, I feel better now.
I am sure they will have to make more then that, but the thought of you standing at the end of of a very long line cracks me up, heck, never mind being outside the building, you are'nt even in the same zip code
[/b][/quote]
I think you have me mistaken for someone who cares. :scratch:

Bottom line: I don't play that game - never have, never will. Sell it at MSRP or I'll go elsewhere. There's too many terrific products out there and severe global competition. There'll always be another nice car.
Old 3/23/05, 01:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Markup = no business from my family.

I'd venture to say people buying a dollar bottle of water aren't risking much over the long haul. Now I'm driving home in my brand new 10K over sticker car and get in an accident, and I just lost 15-20K in a few minutes. Insurance company will just laugh at me.
Old 3/23/05, 01:21 AM
Cobra R Member

The Only Thing I Am Dissappointed About is the Fact that They Used Red and White For the Show Car, Not More Traditional Blue and White, or White and Blue Shelby Combinations. Otherwise I Think It's Great!
Old 3/23/05, 01:42 AM
GT Member

I think the look is excellent. It's simple, aggressive, functional.

The ONE thing, visually, that I would have liked to see was a more integrated and swooping ducktail. But, I'm not complaining, they did give us one. I love the car. Can't wait to see it perform.

Quick Reply: Anyone disappointed?