General Art For your viewing pleasure, Various Art and Photochops Created by our Talented Members.

Nikon's Answer To Photoshop

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/06, 02:07 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Nikon's Answer To Photoshop

Nikon is coming out with a new software that is supposed to replace photoshop, called Capture NX. It looks really interesting, but I am betting its just for image enhancing capabilities, not anything like the manipulation like what some of you guys do here.

http://www.popphoto.com/howto/2442/n...photoshop.html

And I think they have a trial out now: http://www.capturenx.com/
Old 7/31/06, 05:29 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is a bit of a misnomer to say it's supposed to replace Photoshop. It's supposed to be more of a 'RAW' workflow enhancer for photographers that slots in between Aperture and CS2, but in reality doesn't do anything that you cant do in ACR/CS2.

The main problem I see is integrating it into a heavier work-flow scenario as it is simply not fast or flexible enough to handle a large number of images.

The problem is that changes made in NX cant be read by any other program without leaving the RAW state - what would be really good is if the NX changes were saved in a sidecar file that ACR could read - rather in the way that DXO can open a NEF, correct the distortions and re-save it as a DNG file that ACR can open - that way we get the best of all worlds... (are you reading this Nikon?)

On the other hand, I'm excited to hear that Nikon are introducing a powerful new consumer level D-SLR (possibly a D80) in just under ten days!