General Art For your viewing pleasure, Various Art and Photochops Created by our Talented Members.

Good news everyone.

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/07, 04:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like you will be off to a great start Chris!
Old 4/7/07, 07:47 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Great to hear about your portfolio!

Good luck Chris!
Old 4/7/07, 08:46 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Way to be ahead of the game my friend! That is pretty darn impressive
Old 4/9/07, 12:30 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If anyone curious on my portfilio...can be veiwed here.

But warning..its not safe for work.
www.chriscorkill.com/portfolio
Old 4/9/07, 01:21 PM
Post *****

Some familiar works in there. Good stuff
Old 4/9/07, 01:47 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Its a good thing you are 18 now arin...or your young eyes wouldn't have been prepared.
Old 4/9/07, 02:28 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Niiice!
Great to see you add some of your comic work.
Old 4/9/07, 03:26 PM
Needs to be more Astony

yeah I never finished the comic but the one page is atleast good for somthing.
Old 4/9/07, 04:10 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Knight
Its a good thing you are 18 now arin...or your young eyes wouldn't have been prepared.

That's what you think
Old 4/9/07, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Chris,

That's phenomenal work... You're gonna do great.

One thing abot your portfolio... DUH!

Seriously, Best of Luck,

Rich
Old 4/9/07, 04:29 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Chris Great news!!!
So tell me what format did you send the portfolio in..just sent those links or send in prints? or what?

I've always said your work is uber impressive!
Old 4/9/07, 09:00 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by burningman
Chris Great news!!!
So tell me what format did you send the portfolio in..just sent those links or send in prints? or what?

I've always said your work is uber impressive!
Since the courses are all online they just had me e-mail the files...so i took those 10 files and sent them in an e-mail.
Old 4/10/07, 03:21 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
very nice!
Old 4/11/07, 09:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Best of luck to you, it isn't easy taking a step like this!
Old 4/19/07, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I graduated from the AI of Phoenix. One thing I can tell you, is that you have to take it upon your self to do your projects and learn what they are teaching you. Alot of the students there seemed like they didn't even want to be there. That's fine for a state school, but this is art school, and you are paying good for it! Don't let those students get you down. Make sure your projects meet the requirements, but don't just do them for the grades, do them to learn things. Your grades don't really mean anything, what you get out of the classes means a whole lot more! But if getting a good grade helps you get motivated, then great, it will only make your project better :-)

One thing that most students there seemed to think, was that they will automatically get a job because they went to art school. They are sorely wrong. The fact is, if you are good, you'll get a job! Art school will help you, but they won't do it all for you! For the non art related classes (math, english, and so on) I just did the bare minimum to slide through those classes. Those classes don't really do anything for your career. I've got a Louisiana education (ranked 49th out of 50 states!), I'm not good at any of the 'core' subjects (math, english, science, history) and that doesn't even really matter. I'm good at what I do, regardless.

Ask the staff and administrators about scholarship applications. Some applications require you to submit art work/projects, some don't! I submitted for like 5 scholarships before I even decided to go to that school, and got almost all of them! One of them covered over 1/2 my tuition, and with various other scholarships from all around those covered almost all the rest! I have a feeling not many people even applied for the scholarships that the AI offered. Check for them every so often, it's free money! Even if you are already attending, there are scholarships you can apply for every quarter or so (maybe every 1/2 year, or year, depending on the scholarship)

If you find some instructors who seem to be particularly helpful, don't hesitate to ask them things that are above and beyond the assignements. I became very good friends with a number of my instructors, and we worked on fun things together even outside of the classroom. In fact, I still make special trips out to Phoenix just to visit with them! Some of the best friends I have.

Best of luck, keep your mind focused on your art and what you want to do later as a career, and you should do fine!

I was there for Multimedia and Web Design, but ended up actually working in the 3d field as a CG lighting and rendering artist, because I was actually better at that then web stuff. (and, got tired of everyone wanting a website, but nobody wanting to pay good for them!) I had basically a free ride though, scholarships, so I stuck it out with the web program to the finish, but did my 3d work on the side. (and showed the 3d instructors a thing or two... lol)
Old 4/19/07, 10:56 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by Error404
I graduated from the AI of Phoenix. One thing I can tell you, is that you have to take it upon your self to do your projects and learn what they are teaching you. Alot of the students there seemed like they didn't even want to be there. That's fine for a state school, but this is art school, and you are paying good for it! Don't let those students get you down. Make sure your projects meet the requirements, but don't just do them for the grades, do them to learn things. Your grades don't really mean anything, what you get out of the classes means a whole lot more! But if getting a good grade helps you get motivated, then great, it will only make your project better :-)

One thing that most students there seemed to think, was that they will automatically get a job because they went to art school. They are sorely wrong. The fact is, if you are good, you'll get a job! Art school will help you, but they won't do it all for you! For the non art related classes (math, english, and so on) I just did the bare minimum to slide through those classes. Those classes don't really do anything for your career. I've got a Louisiana education (ranked 49th out of 50 states!), I'm not good at any of the 'core' subjects (math, english, science, history) and that doesn't even really matter. I'm good at what I do, regardless.

Ask the staff and administrators about scholarship applications. Some applications require you to submit art work/projects, some don't! I submitted for like 5 scholarships before I even decided to go to that school, and got almost all of them! One of them covered over 1/2 my tuition, and with various other scholarships from all around those covered almost all the rest! I have a feeling not many people even applied for the scholarships that the AI offered. Check for them every so often, it's free money! Even if you are already attending, there are scholarships you can apply for every quarter or so (maybe every 1/2 year, or year, depending on the scholarship)

If you find some instructors who seem to be particularly helpful, don't hesitate to ask them things that are above and beyond the assignements. I became very good friends with a number of my instructors, and we worked on fun things together even outside of the classroom. In fact, I still make special trips out to Phoenix just to visit with them! Some of the best friends I have.

Best of luck, keep your mind focused on your art and what you want to do later as a career, and you should do fine!

I was there for Multimedia and Web Design, but ended up actually working in the 3d field as a CG lighting and rendering artist, because I was actually better at that then web stuff. (and, got tired of everyone wanting a website, but nobody wanting to pay good for them!) I had basically a free ride though, scholarships, so I stuck it out with the web program to the finish, but did my 3d work on the side. (and showed the 3d instructors a thing or two... lol)
Wow great responce. I appreciate the info from an insider!

One thing about my school is that it is all online. So i don't really have face to face student interactions. But I am very determined to make this work for me. I messed up first time around i don't want it to happen again.

I will definnatly look into the scholarship information. The school is costing me a small fortune and i could really use the assistance.

I'd love to hear more about your job too. Sounds very cool.