General Art For your viewing pleasure, Various Art and Photochops Created by our Talented Members.

Clay modelling... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/06, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I wanna build a 1/18th scale model of an SUV. I bought two 2pound billets of J525 clay. Can anyone of you please let me know about how I could build the core and mix the clay so that I can shape it over the core? PLEASE let me know. There's absolutely no other source of help or guidance for me... Thanks so much for your time.
Carthik.
Old 4/22/06, 11:07 AM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First of all, welcome to TMS. Second, when i build my clay models I cut a piece of wood smaller than the vehicle will be, and similar in shape... (not real detailed, an suv would be one longer block with a shorter/narrower one on top.) i join the wood, then place a small block underneath of it, slightly taller than the ground clearance that yuo want. then I bolt or screw it to a base piece of wood, so it can be handled easier.

I hop this helps, I'm not real good at explaining things, so if you need more help let me know.
Old 4/22/06, 10:28 PM

Dude... thanks so much for the reply. The wood is a great idea! I was thinking about using sheet metal but was worried about how strong it would be if i just glued it together... anyway, my biggest problem is to soften the clay and mix both the 2 pound billets together so I can shape it over the wood. It's j525 that I'm using. It's really hard... So, is there any special procedure to mix the clay? Thanks for your time man.
Old 4/23/06, 02:13 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not familar with the clay your talking about, i use is called Klean Klay, and I set it in the microwave for about 15 seconds to soften it a little...

update: I googled j525 clay and the site I found says... <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> Once heated to its working temperature, Chavant
Hard Styling Clay is fast, accurate and easy to apply,
whether by hand or profile extruders.
After heating, the clay returns to its original hard state. When
a template or tool is pulled through the clay, the clay rolls away
easily, responding instantly. There's no grain, just a smooth surface
that joins easily and when blended leaves no seams, producing a surface that will accept fine detail, can be polished, milled or painted.
[/b][/quote]

so i guess heating will help it? This clay sound alot better than what I use, I might go pick some up on day. (http://www.styling-clay.co.uk/StylingClays.html) <url for my info
Old 4/25/06, 05:20 AM

Hey thanks again. But what temp should I heat it in order to soften it? Then after I mix it and shape it over the wood... how do I harden it again (what temp again)? Let me know... thanks man.