Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

cold weather clay/wax

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/05, 08:44 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies if this has been covered before, but a search on 'cold' gave too many hits, and 'cold weather' gave only 1 unrelated hit.

So, the question is, what do you do about washing, claying, waxing (NXT in my case) when it turns cold out?

My car was built this past Tuesday, and will get here when it gets here, but we'll be lucky here in Minnesota if it gets above 50 after the next week or two. I don't have a heated garage.

I also don't have the luxury of putting the car completely away for the winter, though I will try to limit driving it if I can. So I figure it will need a good coat or two of wax on it for the rest of the winter, but I don't want to do that without claying it first.

Any suggestions or tips? What are the temp limits for the NXT tech wax?

One last thing, I only seem to find clay bar kits that include a finish spray around here. Is there any place where I should be able to find just the clay?
Old 10/28/05, 11:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the claying I'm not too sure but in regards to waxing it the NXT will go on in the cold but you may have to go over spots twice or more and it can be a pain in the rear to get off.

If you have access to a garage you can heat it up with a space heater for an hour or two and then wax it. Thats what I did last January when I bought my 99.

As long as you keep your car clean a good coat or two of wax will have to do. You can try some of the spray wax to touch it up if you would like but theres really nothing you can do short of waxing it.

You might want to consider a car cover if it has to sit outside. It won't be perfect but it will be better than nothing.

Good luck
Old 10/31/05, 08:00 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since I am at work I can't read the labels on my wax products, however, if you look at the label, some manufacturers give details regarding min. temp to use the product.