General Art For your viewing pleasure, Various Art and Photochops Created by our Talented Members.

Camera Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/07, 11:04 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Camera Cleaning

I was at a training class this past weekend doing a live burn of a run down old house. Well we were at the back of the house, getting some shots and the front hose crews were holding off while we were getting photos. They opened back up too soon and my D50 and 18-55 kit lens got a bit wet. It never stopped functioning at all though :gonikon:

Also in this process they pushed some heavy smoke down on us and this is the type that is "gritty". My lens is nasty on the front, but luckily I had my UV filter on so i should be able to clean that easy. The lens though when you move from the 18 to 55 focal ranges doesnt feel as smooth. Im pretty sure I got some dirt/grit in there as i can tell it as I rotate the lens. Anyway to clean this up or would a shop have to do it?

I havent really used the camera since saturday, but playing around it did work today. I havent taken the lens off so I am unsure if the body got anything inside it. Also I havent pulled the pics off yet so nothing to post yet
Old 6/11/07, 11:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the camera got wet, I would make sure it's all aired out. Modern lenses seem to be sealed quite well, but a zoom lens probably still has to take in air from somewhere (especially if it's the kind where the front of the lens extends or retracts as you zoom/focus), so there might still the possibility of mold on the inside of the lens.

If the lens feels kind of gritty when you run the zoom and focus rings, Personally I would determine if it bothers you or not. If it bothers you, send it off to be cleaned. If it doesn't, then there is probably no harm done.

Not sure if there is anything you can do on your own about the grime in the focus/zoom rings. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a quote from Nikon for the cleaning.
Old 6/11/07, 11:28 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks Daniel, yeah ive got the camera airing and everything now. Wasnt thinking about moisture, just trying to get the smoke smell off of everything.
Old 6/11/07, 11:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
Thanks Daniel, yeah ive got the camera airing and everything now. Wasnt thinking about moisture, just trying to get the smoke smell off of everything.
hm... that may not leave for a while! (the smell of smoke) I have heard stories from folks who purchased used equipment (or inherited, as the case might be) from folks who were smokers. They complain about the cigarette smell taking a long time to leave the equipment. I'm afraid their might not be much you can do about that for a while I don't know of any method that would work to get rid of the smell. If you search around you might be able to find some methods maybe? Or just keep taking it out into the fresh air I guess!!
Old 6/12/07, 01:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Depends on the make up of smoke ? do you know any fire clean up people , see if you can get a fogging generator, we used to use them for after cleaning up for fires of protien or what have you , it would fill the whole house with a white smoke made by difffernt compounds to take away odors that smoke will stick to any cold metal object such glass dry wall nails etc.