V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

X-Charger X-Spec complete technical review...w/dynosheets

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/06, 06:08 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 5:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
First off its not the stock airbox lid, it is the GT airbox and MAF. We use this because the stock airbox/MAF wouldn't handle the added power from the kit. It is too small. Trickpony is correct, we use the stock GT maf to make things easier as well for the CARB testing, they make you provide a list of everything you have changed and then review it with a fine toothed comb. The more you can keep factory or atleast using factory parts the easier it is to get approved.

The MAF with the Vortech GT kits, and the V6 it seems, is a huge 4" peice that is much larger then the MAF on the standard GT.

The outside temps were around 75-80 degree's.

I can see the MAF but not the connector, does it just use the factory wiring to the MAF? On the GT kits this is where the MAFia is used first off for the extension of the MAF harness because it won't reach and then if it is required for the MAF to extend the range.

Thanks, Doug.
[/b][/quote]

I dont think they used a Mafia on mine because the kit could attain 300RWHP with the stock Vortech GT MAF... The Mafia is for 400RWHP and above applications..

The PHP Vortech V6 used a wiring trick to control MAF flow, because his flywheel HP exceeds 400HP..

So I did not need a Mafia at the time.. Once I place the 2.62 pulley back on, I will need to get a Mafia to tune above 400RWHP..

I trust you Doug904.. If you say its done, its done.. I was just thinking since it has not released yet, you still had time to re-design a few things.. But if you think its good, I agree with you..
Old 5/3/06, 06:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Guess you missed it before: can I use my Steeda CAI with the X-Charger? Is the 2.8 pulley safe for a daily driver without methanol injection?
Old 5/3/06, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ May 3, 2006, 7:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Guess you missed it before: can I use my Steeda CAI with the X-Charger? Is the 2.8 pulley safe for a daily driver without methanol injection?
[/b][/quote]

Opps, sorry. The Steeda Cold air intake just goes on the end of the stock air tube if I remember correctly and if so then you could BUT it would require new tuning to work properly. I've not tested nor tuned a X-charger kit with the Steeda CAI.

Yes, the 2.8 pulley is very safe for driving when using the tunes that I have developed. Both the a/f ratio along with the timing is very safe for normal driving applications.

thanks, Doug.
Old 5/3/06, 06:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 8:36 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Opps, sorry. The Steeda Cold air intake just goes on the end of the stock air tube if I remember correctly and if so then you could BUT it would require new tuning to work properly. I've not tested nor tuned a X-charger kit with the Steeda CAI.

Yes, the 2.8 pulley is very safe for driving when using the tunes that I have developed. Both the a/f ratio along with the timing is very safe for normal driving applications.

thanks, Doug.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks! If I get it, I had planned to get it dyno tuned anyway. What about a 55 shot of nitrous on top of the X? Obviously you can't condone it for use for the average customer. It would be a track only deal.
Old 5/3/06, 07:57 PM
MSP
Banned

You know Doug904, if they could knock off an extra $1000, they would sell a bunch of those things.. Most guys with 4.0's would like atleast 300RWHP.. So its about 50RWHP short.. What is HP worth? $25 bucks per HP?

So that would be about $1250.. That places the kit at $2250 NON-Intercooled...

You dont like that? How about $20 bucks per HP.. Thats $1000.. Thats $2500 Bucks for the kit..

Ok, just kidding.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Seriously, its a good kit.. I know there are some guys who are ready to buy.. I'm pretty sure Jimp wants one...
Old 5/3/06, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The price/performance ratio does need.....some tweaking. I think EE should consider it.
Old 5/3/06, 08:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ May 3, 2006, 10:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The price/performance ratio does need.....some tweaking. I think EE should consider it.
[/b][/quote]

++1. At the right price this thing will sell like hotcakes.
Old 5/3/06, 08:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ May 3, 2006, 9:00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You know Doug904, if they could knock off an extra $1000, they would sell a bunch of those things.. Most guys with 4.0's would like atleast 300RWHP.. So its about 50RWHP short.. What is HP worth? $25 bucks per HP?

So that would be about $1250.. That places the kit at $2250 NON-Intercooled...

You dont like that? How about $20 bucks per HP.. Thats $1000.. Thats $2500 Bucks for the kit..

Ok, just kidding.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Seriously, its a good kit.. I know there are some guys who are ready to buy.. I'm pretty sure Jimp wants one...
[/b][/quote]

If that were the answer then why would Vortech sell any non-aftercooled kits? They only claim 290 and that's at the flywheel, is this with an automatic or manual? This come directly from Chris at Vortech, so that's around 240-250 at the rear wheels, the same as the X-charger. Then the Procharger for $4200 advertises the same. The NON-aftercooled Vortech kit retails for $3510.95 so we are well within $200-$300 of this kit. You may need to ask Vortech to knock $1000 off their pricetag and see what they say [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

The X-charger is right there with EVERY other kit on the market today for NON intercooled HP.

The reason we're not all about gettting the 300rwhp mark, because of longevity. You can't double the output of an engine and then expect it to last for 100K miles. Now, this is the first time I've done any testing with the kit with very limited resources for improvements. Add a 2.62 blower pulley as you have, a manual transmission and water injection and I wouldn't be surprsed to see the 300rwhp mark without any problems.

Thanks, Doug
Old 5/3/06, 08:22 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 7:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If that were the answer then why would Vortech sell any non-aftercooled kits? They only claim 290 and that's at the flywheel, this come directly from Chris at Vortech, l so that's around 240-250 at the rear wheels, the same as the X-charger. Then the Procharger for $4200 advertises the same. The NON-aftercooled Vortech kit retails for $3510.95 so we are well within $200-$300 of this kit. You may need to ask Vortech to knock $1000 off their pricetag [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
The X-charger is right there with EVERY other kit on the market today for NON intercooled HP.

The reason we're not all about gettting the 300rwhp mark, because of longevity. You can't double the output of an engine and then expect it to last for 100K miles. Now, this is the first time I've done any testing with the kit with very limited resources for improvements. Add a 2.62 blower pulley as you have, a manual transmission and water injection and I wouldn't be surprsed to see the 300rwhp mark without any problems.

Thanks, Doug
[/b][/quote]

I'm on your side Doug904.. LOL! I'm just kidding.. I love the kit! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Dont get mad at me Doug904! I gotta get Jimp with this kit, so I can convince him to pump it full of NOS! LOL! Afixer is not addicted like us.. LOL!!

Gotta love Afixer! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 10:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If that were the answer then why would Vortech sell any non-aftercooled kits? They only claim 290 and that's at the flywheel, is this with an automatic or manual? This come directly from Chris at Vortech, so that's around 240-250 at the rear wheels, the same as the X-charger. Then the Procharger for $4200 advertises the same. The NON-aftercooled Vortech kit retails for $3510.95 so we are well within $200-$300 of this kit. You may need to ask Vortech to knock $1000 off their pricetag and see what they say [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, Doug
[/b][/quote]

Very valid counter points. And we have to keep in mind the install is much simpler, its proven on the 4.0s and the power curve is kick hiney. Thanks man.
Old 5/3/06, 08:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 10:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Thanks, Doug
[/b][/quote]

Yeah i guess i was trying to compare it to the intercooled SCs which isn't fair. Yo, can we get a price and date for this thing? I'm dyin' here!
Old 5/3/06, 08:30 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ May 3, 2006, 7:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah i guess i was trying to compare it to the intercooled SCs which isn't fair. Yo, can we get a price and date for this thing? I'm dyin' here!
[/b][/quote]

Thats one unit sold Doug904! Dont worry! Jimp is going to show us what that thing can really do..!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Jimp already has NOS, so all he need is a 55shot jet, and he's deep into the 12's! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

No love lost here MSP, nor anyone else. Beleive me I'm all for the big numbers as is Dave, the owner of Explorer Express. We are trying to balance a kit for the everyday consumer along with a kit that does offer some room to grow but with that room there are always side effects.

Sure, If I had a V6 Stang I would be all over the 300rwhp mark plus, heck I've installed a M112 on a 4.0 before, wanna see pics? Still though I know that would never live on a street setup for very long and the average guy just wants to keep up with a GT and possibly even beat him a bit off the line.

If anyone on the east coast gets a kit and wants to experiment more then give me a call, I'm sure we can work something out to meet on the dyno somewhere and truly give this kit a good flogging with some form of aircooler and I'll bring the pulleys. I have a MAFia I keep on hand too so no worries about pegging the MAF.

Hmm, I wonder if I could trade in the Roush Gt on a V6? Do they allow that? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

As for pricing, call Dave at www.ExplorerExpress.com or 1-888-397-5673. He's a great guy and has been with the 4.0 for many years...

Thanks, Doug.
Old 5/3/06, 08:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ May 3, 2006, 10:33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thats one unit sold Doug904! Dont worry! Jimp is going to show us what that thing can really do..!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Jimp already has NOS, so all he need is a 55shot jet, and he's deep into the 12's! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Hey, don't let him know i'm too excited until he sets the price! LOL! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 10:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
No love lost here MSP, nor anyone else. Beleive me I'm all for the big numbers as is Dave, the owner of Explorer Express. We are trying to balance a kit for the everyday consumer along with a kit that does offer some room to grow but with that room there are always side effects.

Sure, If I had a V6 Stang I would be all over the 300rwhp mark plus, heck I've installed a M112 on a 4.0 before, wanna see pics? Still though I know that would never live on a street setup for very long and the average guy just wants to keep up with a GT and possibly even beat him a bit off the line.

If anyone on the east coast gets a kit and wants to experiment more then give me a call, I'm sure we can work something out to meet on the dyno somewhere and truly give this kit a good flogging with some form of aircooler and I'll bring the pulleys. I have a MAFia I keep on hand too so no worries about pegging the MAF.

Hmm, I wonder if I could trade in the Roush Gt on a V6? Do they allow that? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Hey, I'm down! I'm in central Florida. Maybe you can use my car to develop a Steeda tune? Email or PM me and let me know what you think. I still have my stock airbox if needed.
Old 5/3/06, 08:35 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 7:34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

LOL!! Doug904 We got the Forged Steel Rods the GT guys need!! Man, trade it!! This V6 is fun Doug904! LOL!

Ford is evil! Why would they cross things up like this on Mustang Owners.. I think the 6 should have gotten the Cracked and Powder coated rods.. The GT's should have received the forged steel rods!

Oh'well! Insurance is alot cheaper on this side Doug904.. We're having just as much fun to.. After you put the t-lok in!..
Old 5/3/06, 08:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ May 3, 2006, 9:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey, don't let him know i'm too excited until he sets the price! LOL! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Hey, I'm down! I'm in central Florida. Maybe you can use my car to develop a Steeda tune? Email or PM me and let me know what you think. I still have my stock airbox if needed.
[/b][/quote]

You got an auto or manual??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 08:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 10:38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You got an auto or manual??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Auto.
Old 5/3/06, 08:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ May 3, 2006, 9:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Auto.
[/b][/quote]

Tell you what, if you'll purchase the kit and come to me then we'll install it here free and then goto the dyno locally and further revise your tune for your Steeda CAI and I'll see if I can get some additional pullies to do some further testing with.

As for your Nitrous, bring the smallest jets you have and we'll start from there. On a S/C vehicle the cooling effect from nitrous is HUGE so if you have jets for a 25-35 shot bring them. If not then I'll contact Zex and get something we can use.

Just let me know if you are interested. If you want to drive up on a Saturday, we'll install it Sunday and goto the dyno Monday.

Now something else you could do, install the kit down there using the stock components with the kit and then just come to me for some fine tuning. We could goto the dyno Saturday morning and then to the track Saturday night.

Still, everything as for the dyno and the additional tuning would be free because this would be some further refinements of the hi-po tuning. Plus I'd enjoy it as much as you!

Thanks, Doug.
Old 5/3/06, 08:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doug904 @ May 3, 2006, 10:52 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Tell you what, if you'll purchase the kit and come to me then we'll install it here free and then goto the dyno locally and further revise your tune for your Steeda CAI and I'll see if I can get some additional pullies to do some further testing with.

As for your Nitrous, bring the smallest jets you have and we'll start from there. On a S/C vehicle the cooling effect from nitrous is HUGE so if you have jets for a 25-35 shot bring them. If not then I'll contact Zex and get something we can use.
Just let me know if you are interested. If you want to drive up on a Saturday, we'll install it Sunday and goto the dyno Monday.

Now something else you could do, install the kit down there using the stock components with the kit and then just come to me for some fine tuning. We could goto the dyno Saturday morning and then to the track Saturday night.

Still, everything as for the dyno and the additional tuning would be free because this would be some further refinements of the hi-po tuning. Plus I'd enjoy it as much as you!

Thanks, Doug.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, I am absolutely interested! When will the kit be available?

On the nitrous, I think the smallest jets available is a 55 shot.

I just printed out driving directions from Mapquest, lol. Heck, only 9 hours. Maybe only 8 with the X-Charger! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 5/3/06, 09:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlackLX4.0 @ May 3, 2006, 9:56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes, I am absolutely interested! When will the kit be available?

On the nitrous, I think the smallest jets available is a 55 shot.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, not a problem, I know a guy on the Zex/Comp Cams techline that can help us figure out what combo would be safe. I have alot of Zex jets as well since i use the kit on my ZX2.

You would need to contact Dave at Explorer Express for that information, I just handle the tuning end of the deal.

Thanks, Doug.

Quick Reply: X-Charger X-Spec complete technical review...w/dynosheets