V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

X-Charger for the 4.0 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/05, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Excepcion13@December 4, 2005, 8:49 PM
I know the MACs are LT. After all, I CAN read..

My point was that they are so cheap in comparison to JBA SS headers. I assumed, wrongly, I suppose, that LT would be more expensive. I didn't expect the MAC to be $650 like the JBAs, but only $350? Something this new (I didn't even know they had come up with LTs for the 05 yet) is usually a little pricey. But what do I know??!!??

I also expected that LTs would have a performance gain over SS headers. If not, than what IS the difference?

Its not the difference in price that concern me when comparing the two, JBA has been over pricing thier headers for awhile. When thier dual kit came out for the 4.0, even the Y pipe kit was 150 more than Magnaflows or MAC's kit. They are in fact finally comming down in price. Hopefully they will come down in price so they are an option.

hamidlmt said his JBA shorty's went on perfectly. My main focus is quality and fitment. So if anyone can chime in with thier past experiences that would be great.
Old 12/4/05, 06:56 PM

And while we are talking about LT headers, shouldn't we put in high flow cats as well while we are at it?
Old 12/4/05, 07:03 PM

I have been researching LT vs. ST headers, and LT definitely have the performance edge. Everything I read tonight says they are 5-10 more HP over the shorties depending on the overall car configuration.

However, I have to talk to some members of the mustang club here in northern virginia. I read on the net that long tube headers will effect my emmissions testing and I may not pass, and this car is my daily driver.

Thoughts any one?
Old 12/4/05, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excepcion13
I know the MACs are LT. After all, I CAN read My point was that they are so cheap in comparison to JBA SS headers
''
"They are not SS'' means the MAC are not made of stainless steel like the JBA's reasons ( also they are RH's)the MAC's are cheaper.

rygenstormlocke
But please let me know your thoughts on the quality of the MACs.
Rygn I have no experience/research with the MAC's, but my first thoughts are IMO LT's are the only way to go esp if build or SC and at again this price you can't go wrong. If it' just miner quality problems and they do have a 3yr war. IMO when I go to headers I will go LT's over shorties any day of the week. If you don't build or SC then maybe shorties.

Look at LT's for the GT (V6 should be close in SS} I think what $1200-$1300. I will put up with some minor quality control problems (warr again) for about $8000.00 savings
Old 12/4/05, 07:17 PM

TJ,

You sum it up nicely and make a good point. Plus the 3 year warrenty is definitely a factor in this. I just need to find out if I will have any emissions issues, the DC Metro area is nearly as strict as CA. Doh.
Old 12/4/05, 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I read tonight says they are 5-10 more HP over the shorties depending on the overall car configuration.
Rygn the LT's really come into play with HP gain when you serious build on the engine Supercharger or no Supercharger but high comp pistons head work high lift cam On a stock engine with just a CAI shorties would be fine I can't see LT's doing much more at all over shorties.
Old 12/4/05, 07:31 PM

That is why I'm asking, because I will most likely be going with a TC or SC sometime in Q1 of next year. I'm holding out to see what Mikes setup will look like price wise before I make a final decision. From what people told me on this board, a TC setup would be nice with a 75Hp nitrous shot. Also in the works is girdle and panhard relocation bracket.
Old 12/4/05, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Double post
Old 12/4/05, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

rygenstormlocke
I just need to find out if I will have any emissions issues, the DC Metro area is nearly as strict as CA. Doh.
These are RH's and these LT's will throw codes plus will need high flow cats per mirror inspection IF your state checks (Some states don't check under the car/ pro chamber?) , a good tune can delete your rear 02 sensors/ should get you pass the ODB2 plug in. Check with your Mustang club

I know this sounds crazy but its every 2-3 yrs if you SC you can throw the stock exhaust backon temporary just for the test and then your good to go for 2-3 years.
Old 12/4/05, 09:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@December 4, 2005, 5:59 PM
And while we are talking about LT headers, shouldn't we put in high flow cats as well while we are at it?
If you put LT's, more than likely you won't have any cats (at least the MAC's don't have built-in cats), and you will need o2 simulators to send fluctuating voltage (1-4.5V) so your car can run normal (not safe-mode rich)
You will definately not pass smog, as this is an offroad use setup. Unless you have connections or can change it all out during your inspection you are good to go.

For this reason, and being in CA, I am thinking of my future mods.
Old 12/4/05, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

ManEHawke
If you put LT's, more than likely you won't have any cats (at least the MAC's don't have built-in cats), and you will need o2 simulators to send fluctuating voltage (1-4.5V) so your car can run normal (not safe-mode rich)
You will definately not pass smog, as this is an offroad use setup. Unless you have connections or can change it all out during your inspection you are good to go.
Some guys have passed with no cats, running LT's knocking out the rear 02 sensors via tune and have pssed with a Mac Pro Chamber.

So it is possible.
Old 12/4/05, 10:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

LTs will typically delete the cats and yeah, you're more than likely going to have problems with emissions... I know alot of shops around here that will pass you if you ask them to.. or if you know the guys there... or they know you race alot.. for many reasons. So its possible to fudge it by all means.

Different states in different areas have different standards and different tests... remember what works in one area may not in another, so find out what you need to do WHERE you will be testing. I know here in GA, unless you are living in the Metro ATL area, testing isnt required. The only thing thats stopping me from cutting out my cats is my warranty.

The way I see it, LTs arent beneficial over ST till some serious power is being made. There's not that much a difference in price, and you theoretically weld in cats behind them. And seroiusly guys, who here plans on stopping the mods before that kind of power is on tap? I dont.. hehe. Ill just by the LTs first, do what I have to do for warranty/emissions if ever, then when I make the power I wont have to buy another set of headers. Seems logical to me.
Old 12/4/05, 10:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Speaking of LT's you might enjoy this.

Turn up your speakers.

Try not to watch it to many times now bandwith for our fellow members.

http://snt-systems.com/temp/mustang/open_headers.avi
Old 12/4/05, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ive got a codec conflict that wont let me play it.. what'm I missing?
Old 12/5/05, 12:51 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 4, 2005, 8:26 PM
Some guys have passed with no cats, running LT's knocking out the rear 02 sensors via tune and have pssed with a Mac Pro Chamber.

So it is possible.
I agree, modern EFI engines are capable of running real efficient, then the visual part is based on how "blind" the smog tech may be
If you can honestly pass the actual emmisions, the visual can be arranged if you know the guy. It get's pretty strict for the masses here in CA, so many guys aren't as fortunate to get a pass if OEM equipment has been altered.
So yeah it is possible as you say.
Old 12/5/05, 12:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

WOW that GT sounds awesome! Wish I could witness the sound
Old 12/5/05, 12:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by TJ06@December 4, 2005, 10:17 PM
''
"They are not SS'' means the MAC are not made of stainless steel like the JBA's reasons ( also they are RH's)the MAC's are cheaper.
Man, I have a habit of misinterpreting you. I am going to blame it on a lack of sleep while cramming for my law exams. First one is today in about 15 hours. Running on about 12 hours sleep for last 3 days. After exam tomorrow night I am going to get in my pony and drive around for about two hours. Best therapy I know....
Old 12/5/05, 01:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Excepcion13@December 5, 2005, 3:00 AM
Man, I have a habit of misinterpreting you. I am going to blame it on a lack of sleep while cramming for my law exams. First one is today in about 15 hours. Running on about 12 hours sleep for last 3 days. After exam tomorrow night I am going to get in my pony and drive around for about two hours. Best therapy I know....
Man you a'int kidding... I end up cramming like that for days on end, staying up working, stressing, smoking... I really get an itch to just get in my car and drive. Its so relaxing... Let the windows down if you can, listen to the exhaust drone for miles and miles on end.. dont have to worry about anything but the road in front of you... turn on some music and relax.. feel a little better about life, chill out, relax.. and itll eventually catch you.. you'll find that little fast paced song that catches you just right, your mood soars and you press that clutch, drop it into third and let the engine roar instantly feeling better about life. Its no drug, its no narcotic, its a mustang. And its the best therapy I know.
Old 12/5/05, 07:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cough: start new post :cough
Old 12/5/05, 08:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Silly Doug, its flu season.. take your vitamins and drink pleanty of fluids. It should clear that cough right up.

Quick Reply: X-Charger for the 4.0 Mustang