V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

X-Charger for the 4.0 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12/3/05, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Excepcion13@December 3, 2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks, TJ! In our other topic about the changes to the 4.0, the consensus is that this is probably a non-issue for the 06 Mustang. But I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us. I, for one, can use all of the knowledge I can get!!! Didn't mean to offend, and I apologize if I did. I was just curious to what you were referring to and puzzled as to why a link or more info was not provided.

Its all part of the discovery process, after her put the post up I was all over the net researching it as well. If you read the entire post at MF, you'll notice I came accross the same article. Like MSP said, its good to keep looking into these things, colaborating and keeping up on them.
Old 12/3/05, 01:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@December 3, 2005, 2:40 AM
Thats a very nice write up Jimp.. You have made me proud!! Keep up the good work buddy!!

@Doug

I hope you didnt skim over the part about this being the System I truley desire! LOL!! Sometimes those details can get overlooked, because I like to post things to get a response.. LOL!! See, if I dont post things a certain way, I cant get the proper attention paid to what I want attention paid to.. I trust you Doug!

Jimp knows that I have talked about the Eaton from day 1.. It was my original plan.. I even have a thread about this on another forum.. LOL!!
Not my write-up but thanks anyway. So this kit will have the M90 instead of the M62, MORE than 75RWHP at only 6lbs of boost. Here's what I'm thinking: at 6lbs it will be pretty safe for a daily driver. And you know this blower will feel better on the street than anything else. Swap out the pulley when you head to the track for 9lbs, I'm guessing 100RWHP+ easily. We're talking low 13s, high 12s here. A small shot of Zex puts me in the 11s. This is a safe blower I could live with. Looks like an easy install as well. The way I look at it, $3500 is not too much money. MSP, you seem to be way too hung up on money for a guy that's had all of the expensive cars you say you've had. Have some fun with your money!
Old 12/3/05, 01:32 PM
MSP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jimp@December 3, 2005, 12:13 PM
Not my write-up but thanks anyway. So this kit will have the M90 instead of the M62, MORE than 75RWHP at only 6lbs of boost. Here's what I'm thinking: at 6lbs it will be pretty safe for a daily driver. And you know this blower will feel better on the street than anything else. Swap out the pulley when you head to the track for 9lbs, I'm guessing 100RWHP+ easily. We're talking low 13s, high 12s here. A small shot of Zex puts me in the 11s. This is a safe blower I could live with. Looks like an easy install as well. The way I look at it, $3500 is not too much money. MSP, you seem to be way too hung up on money for a guy that's had all of the expensive cars you say you've had. Have some fun with your money!
Its about the dollars per HP ratio.. Which typically is considered the bottom line..
Old 12/3/05, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Doug904@December 3, 2005, 9:28 AM
I'll be happy to let you know Dyno numbers when we get them. Since I'm doing the tuning for the kit I'll know them soon. I'm itching to get out there to tune it myself so we'll see!

Thanks, Doug.
Yeah remember you have my number if you need a test dummy....
Old 12/3/05, 02:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@December 3, 2005, 4:35 PM
Its about the dollars per HP ratio.. Which typically is considered the bottom line..
True, but it's also about quality. You'd pay more for a Mercedes than you would for a Hyundai. It remains to been seen which SC or TC is the best but it's looking like the X-Charger is a high quality, proven unit.
Old 12/3/05, 03:03 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@December 3, 2005, 1:42 PM
True, but it's also about quality. You'd pay more for a Mercedes than you would for a Hyundai. It remains to been seen which SC or TC is the best but it's looking like the X-Charger is a high quality, proven unit.
You keep talking as if this was not originally my first pick.. You know from my thread at the other forum that this is the unit I most desired from the start... But lets be more realistic with the price.. The Eaton M90 is a $200 dollar blower, just for the unit rebuilt.. The Manifold is about $600 bucks.. Thus far thats $800 bucks.. Ok, I know where to get all the parts to build this kit for alot cheaper than $3500 bucks..

I want to buy this kit, but there is nothing wrong with me thinking it is over priced, for what it comes with and the amount of HP that comes with it standard..

I dont know why your trying to pit my opinions against this system, when you know this was my original concept over all the others.. I can certainly maintain an opinion that it should be better priced as it sits.. If he were to incorporate the Intercooler, then I would agree it should be priced where it is..
Old 12/3/05, 03:09 PM
MSP
Banned

Look at the price of this kit for the ranger... This kit if taken to a good shop can be fabricated to fit the V6 and still be less than $3500 bucks..

There is also a guy in Florida who will make this kit for $2000, which has all the parts.. This kit includes the blower...

M90's are easy blowers to come by.. They are not hard to find..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Ranger...itemZ7974292766

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Ranger...itemZ7958293622

I am just saying he should create and add the intercooler to the setup is all..
Old 12/3/05, 03:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@December 3, 2005, 6:06 PM
You keep talking as if this was not originally my first pick.. You know from my thread at the other forum that this is the unit I most desired from the start... But lets be more realistic with the price.. The Eaton M90 is a $200 dollar blower, just for the unit rebuilt.. The Manifold is about $600 bucks.. Thus far thats $800 bucks.. Ok, I know where to get all the parts to build this kit for alot cheaper than $3500 bucks..

I want to buy this kit, but there is nothing wrong with me thinking it is over priced, for what it comes with and the amount of HP that comes with it standard..

I dont know why your trying to pit my opinions against this system, when you know this was my original concept over all the others.. I can certainly maintain an opinion that it should be better priced as it sits.. If he were to incorporate the Intercooler, then I would agree it should be priced where it is..
Of course you're entitle to your opinion. You have to consider the R&D that went into this, plus the parts included that make this sytem work with our cars. It also comes with injectors and a tune(and I know, you already know this). If you can build it yourself then go for it. But you're going to have to fabricate an adapter of sorts to replace the intake. You're going to have to cool it somehow. Maybe you're smart enough to figure that all out. I'd rather leave it to the experts. You told me to promise to get this SC with you earlier in this very thread, now you're saying it's too much money based purely on the peak HP(which we don't even know for sure yet!). I'm still with you on this SC but you've left me at the altar! My basic point is this: I think it is worth the money considering what you get.
Old 12/3/05, 03:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@December 3, 2005, 6:12 PM
Look at the price of this kit for the ranger... This kit if taken to a good shop can be fabricated to fit the V6 and still be less than $3500 bucks..

There is also a guy in Florida who will make this kit for $2000, which has all the parts.. This kit includes the blower...

M90's are easy blowers to come by.. They are not hard to find..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Ranger...itemZ7974292766

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Ranger...itemZ7958293622
I am just saying he should create and add the intercooler to the setup is all..
Ok, I just checked these links after I made my last post. Those kits look good. Go for it if you want. I'm leaving it to the experts.
Old 12/3/05, 04:43 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Jimp@December 3, 2005, 2:41 PM
Of course you're entitle to your opinion. You have to consider the R&D that went into this, plus the parts included that make this sytem work with our cars. It also comes with injectors and a tune(and I know, you already know this). If you can build it yourself then go for it. But you're going to have to fabricate an adapter of sorts to replace the intake. You're going to have to cool it somehow. Maybe you're smart enough to figure that all out. I'd rather leave it to the experts. You told me to promise to get this SC with you earlier in this very thread, now you're saying it's too much money based purely on the peak HP(which we don't even know for sure yet!). I'm still with you on this SC but you've left me at the altar! My basic point is this: I think it is worth the money considering what you get.

LOL!! I want the supercharger Jimp!! I gotta raise a ruckus, in the hopes the Explorer Express will listen to the customers... This way they give us more for our money... I didnt leave you at the alter baby, I cant wait till the honeymoon! LOL!! (This part is a joke)--I know some guys are going to try and make into something more.. LOL!!

Seriously, I do like this setup.. I wonder what it would do with a 10PSI pulley?

We're just kickin everything around.. We'll see what happens...
Old 12/3/05, 04:53 PM
Cobra Member

my understanding is there will not be an intercooler option for this...
Old 12/3/05, 04:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by MSP@December 3, 2005, 7:46 PM
LOL!! I want the supercharger Jimp!! I gotta raise a ruckus, in the hopes the Explorer Express will listen to the customers... This way they give us more for our money... I didnt leave you at the alter baby, I cant wait till the honeymoon! LOL!! (This part is a joke)--I know some guys are going to try and make into something more.. LOL!!
Seriously, I do like this setup.. I wonder what it would do with a 10PSI pulley?

We're just kickin everything around.. We'll see what happens...
Honeymoon, lmao! You kill me man!
Old 12/3/05, 05:13 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@December 3, 2005, 3:56 PM
my understanding is there will not be an intercooler option for this...

Why? This original kit was on the Thunderbird SuperCoupe/SC 3.8L.. They came from Ford with the Intercooler... What did you hear Scrming?
Old 12/3/05, 06:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@December 3, 2005, 7:16 PM
Why? This original kit was on the Thunderbird SuperCoupe/SC 3.8L.. They came from Ford with the Intercooler... What did you hear Scrming?
Response to my e-mail question about an intercooler:

Hi John,

The 4.0 SOHC is a narrow angle design and also tall. There isn't room to get an intercooler physically in the system. However, on the Mustang kit we are using an MP90 supercharger rather than the 62 that we use on the Rangers. The 90 turns slower to produce equal boost and heats the charge air less. That's one of the reasons that the Mustang kit will make more power than the Ranger. Why didn't we use the 90 on the Ranger? Not enough room under the hood.

Thanks again for your interest,
Dave
Old 12/3/05, 06:51 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@December 3, 2005, 5:29 PM

Hi John,

The 4.0 SOHC is a narrow angle design and also tall. There isn't room to get an intercooler physically in the system. However, on the Mustang kit we are using an MP90 supercharger rather than the 62 that we use on the Rangers. The 90 turns slower to produce equal boost and heats the charge air less. That's one of the reasons that the Mustang kit will make more power than the Ranger. Why didn't we use the 90 on the Ranger? Not enough room under the hood.

Dave

We cant put it in the trunk? Mine will fit just fine with a back seat delete kit, right behind the front seats.. This way, when I need to serious boost, I can just crank the A/C up, and make some boost man!! LOL!!

Ok... Well, what do you guys think about the other kits which put the intercooler in between the front bumper and radiator?

I hear what your saying Scrming, and that was good work chasing a response, but you know we have seen some intercoolers on 05 Mustangs..
Old 12/3/05, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by scrming@December 3, 2005, 9:29 PM

Hi John,

Dave
A 55 shot of Zex should cool it down! How did you find out about the small shot anyway? Do we need to buy extra jets?
Old 12/3/05, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I beleive that this is the option I was looking for. I am sure that the price of the X-Charger will come down. The Pro Charger system is not much more expensive (the 7 PSI kit, anyway). The 9 PSI kit is about $700 more and potentially (to their estimates) produces 2X the HP. Sure, there are probably extra install costs, etc., but there is no denying a 350 HP V6 is very attractive. I am also VERY intersted in the TC kit from Powerhouse. Waiting on a firm price...

So, like MSP says, unless the price to the X-Charger comes down, I will get another system.
Old 12/3/05, 08:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Excepcion13@December 3, 2005, 11:13 PM
I beleive that this is the option I was looking for. I am sure that the price of the X-Charger will come down. The Pro Charger system is not much more expensive (the 7 PSI kit, anyway). The 9 PSI kit is about $700 more and potentially (to their estimates) produces 2X the HP. Sure, there are probably extra install costs, etc., but there is no denying a 350 HP V6 is very attractive. I am also VERY intersted in the TC kit from Powerhouse. Waiting on a firm price...

So, like MSP says, unless the price to the X-Charger comes down, I will get another system.
If you get a procharger you better get some of these:
Old 12/3/05, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@December 3, 2005, 8:54 PM
We cant put it in the trunk? Mine will fit just fine with a back seat delete kit, right behind the front seats.. This way, when I need to serious boost, I can just crank the A/C up, and make some boost man!! LOL!!
Ok... Well, what do you guys think about the other kits which put the intercooler in between the front bumper and radiator?

I hear what your saying Scrming, and that was good work chasing a response, but you know we have seen some intercoolers on 05 Mustangs..

LOL. Um, where are you gonna relocate the baby seat...the roof?
Old 12/4/05, 12:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Jimp@December 3, 2005, 11:33 PM
If you get a procharger you better get some of these:

Is it THAT bad? Shkaer 1000 should cover that noise.... Is there a price on the Vortech kit yet?

Quick Reply: X-Charger for the 4.0 Mustang