V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

What mods void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 7/12/05, 06:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dad has an 05 V6 and is getting interested in some performance mods, but he doesn't want to void any warranties. Do you guys have any info on what mods can be done????

Second question: has anyone used the JET performance ECU???

Thanks fellow TMS members
Old 7/12/05, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
This question has been asked a thousand times.

No mod can void the warranty. It can only void a particular claim. The dealer will have to prove that the modification is the result of the problem. If the modification is not the fault, then the warranty has to be honored.

Do a search and you can find the law suit this info derived from.
Old 7/12/05, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, I guess I missed the memo
Old 7/12/05, 01:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey... good info for me too... I've been reading the forums for how long now, and JUST found this out? Good thing I clicked! It pays to be curious!
Old 7/12/05, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want more information on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act, check out the following:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
Old 7/13/05, 10:30 PM
GT Member

My father is a mechanic at Ford and I was asking him about the two most common mods and whether they affected the warranty. He was saying that if you installed a CAI and your mass air flow sensor went bad then Ford would not pay for another one. Thats the only example of if something went wrong with the CAI.

The Flash Tune was a more interesting response. I guess a few years back someone brought in a F150 Lightning that blew a piston **while he was going 110 mph haha** and after some investigating from the mechanics they found a chip. They were going to say "sorry pal, stinks to be you!" until the owner told them "oh i didn't know it had a chip" and then they called the dealer that the owner bought it from and they knew it had a chip. Sooooo, they replaced the piston under warranty due to the owner supposedly didn't know. Then I asked him about the part where you can flash back the stock computer and then bring it in and whether they could find it. He thought for a second, and replied "well I don't know, probably not." He did't give a really clear response to whether or not the dealer would fix the car if they found the computer to be flashed with a non-stock tune. But, due to his first story, I would be very reluctant to flash my computer. However, I guess if you could re-tune the computer to stock, you're good to go!
Old 7/13/05, 11:05 PM
GT Member

With my 2003 Honda S2000 the dealer told me I couldn't even replace the stereo without voiding the warrenty on the car. Anything electrical that went wrong would not be covered.

It seemed crazy so I went to another dealers and got the same answer.
Old 7/14/05, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by lethaljay@July 13, 2005, 10:33 PM
He was saying that if you installed a CAI and your mass air flow sensor went bad then Ford would not pay for another one. Thats the only example of if something went wrong with the CAI.
That sound goofy. Why should Ford not replace it? If there is more air flowing over it, would that cause it to malfunction?

Other than that, I can't think of why a CAI would cause a MAF sendor to fail. I am by no means an expert though, so there will probably be a few reasons I don't know about.
Old 7/14/05, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

So if a buy a MMR CAI and a tuner and I have to go to the dealer to have work done I just tune it back to stock and I’m fine?
Old 7/14/05, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Well, he says he see's alot of cars that come in with "check engine lights" and when he pops the hood he right away see's a CAI. He then checks the code, yup, MAF sensor failure. He says that the chemicals, and/or oils that are in the filter come off and then clogs up the sensor.
Old 7/29/05, 12:08 PM
GT Member

i use the JET chip..it works great. I emailed jet and they told me that it increases hp to 18-20..It plugs in right after the computer so the ecu on the car will just think it is sending regular signals to the rest of the car..if you ever go to the dealer, just unplug it and you're done..No warranties voided...ONLY BAD THING..you have to pay 20 cents more for premium gas to get the performance boost..
Old 8/1/05, 10:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by lethaljay@July 14, 2005, 8:37 PM
Well, he says he see's alot of cars that come in with "check engine lights" and when he pops the hood he right away see's a CAI. He then checks the code, yup, MAF sensor failure. He says that the chemicals, and/or oils that are in the filter come off and then clogs up the sensor.
I have heard of that happening. Not to bust on your dad, but that might not always be the case. As long as the mechanic actually checks to see if that is the problem before denying the claim.