V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 Shaker Hood is out!

Search this Thread

Old 1/30/06, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@January 30, 2006, 4:06 PM
Its time that the hard core V8, close minded individuals start to realize that they should be proud to have us as their smaller siblings..
And that about sums it up.
Old 1/30/06, 03:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by T-stang@January 30, 2006, 11:07 AM
Ah-ha!!! I swear i just started a thread about shaker scoops last night and someone was ******* me saying there isn't one available for the V-6, and it's way old news.

Ah-haaa!!!
Um no? It was pointed out that the one from CDC you were getting excited over was currently only for the GT, and that it has been kicking around for a good while. We've also known for a while that ones for the V6 were "on the way".
Old 1/30/06, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I to would like to see a price of just the shaker without the hood. ANd if it would work on a stock hood. The price their asking is way to steep for me. But maybe without the hood it would be closer to my price range. Come on CDC !!!
Old 1/30/06, 04:28 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by rygenstormlocke@January 30, 2006, 2:13 PM
I concur, for me, the calif. dream hood stays planted on my mod list. But as MSP points out, this does show that for the first time, there seems to be a strong aftermarket for the V6 stang. Our choices seem to increase every day.
I'll tell you all something, (and this isn't directed at you Rygen, you just brought up a good point) it is nice that they make the investment for us , but if we don't buy the product (i.e. the V6 crowd won't come off the money for what is percieved as minor HP increases) we will see our options dwindle to next to nothing. This is not to say we must purchase every mod we see out there. But it is to say that the manufacturers won't make investments in hotrod parts for the V6 if we as a community are percieved as a group that is bargain hunting or has to see major Hp gains before the part is excepted as "good bang for the buck" . The UDP is a classic example, it got slammed for not producing good numbers, what do you think it cost to develope that piece? 3 bills is too much to ask for 4 HP? I think what we have with parts for our V6s is that minor gains will be the rule as opposed to the exception. I believe that in this world of the 4.0 V6 we will pay for every HP we get......and if we don't buy...they won't make. Just my opinion.
Old 1/30/06, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree with 05V6. Every performance bolt on isn't going to add 20hp, but if you have the money to get extra horses by buying things like UDP's or a shaker hood, then go for it. At the end of the day, every horsepower counts and the more the merrier! Buying these parts will also encourage the marketplace to keep expanding, which is a very good thing for all of us!
Old 1/30/06, 05:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's fair for a buyer to weigh the cost/benefit ratio before buying a part. I understand the point above about if V6 items don't sell, there won't be an interest in making new ones, but in my mind, that doesn't encourage me to lay down hard earned cash on items that don't produce good results for the $$$

If we (the V6 community) get a rep for buying any overpriced "turbonator" piece of junk that's waved in front of us, that's just going to ensure we're snowed under with more junk.

The trick for us is to make sure the GOOD parts get publicized and therefore purchased.

As this directly applies to a shaker, I wouldn't worry. More people dig the look of a shaker than worry about whether it really produces HP. They'll sell.
Old 1/30/06, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
05V6, TorchRedV6 and P_Kiley all make very good points and they are all correct.
One thing we consider is the cost/benefit factor.
I think the shaker hood is awesome and looked at the Fang before and even considered it but for that price I just don't have that kind of spare cash right now. I think a lot of us are looking for instant gratification and would rather spend $600 on a CAI/Tuner combo and get 10+ horsepower than $1000+ to get good looks and maybe 5 horsepower. It's tough for some to justify spending those dollars on a mainly looks thing. Now, if money was no object it wouldn't matter but then I'd probly be driving a Dodge Viper instead of the Mustang.
I'm sure there are some that will buy the shaker and be very happy with it and others that won't. The manufacturer/vendor has to realize that this is not going to sell like an oil filter, which everyone needs. R&D does cost a lot and they have to recoup that in the selling price but with all the guys out there modding their cars I'm sure they'll make their money back.
Anyway, that's my .02 cents on it.
Old 1/30/06, 06:49 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MSP@January 30, 2006, 5:06 PM
I think this is solid proof that the 05 V6's are pretty much considered a just and appreciated replacement for the old 5.0's...
(words)..... However it does appear to me that 400HP on stock internals is alot more than even a 428 Cobra Jet put out back in its hay day..

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/68/
335 HP at the crank is what the mighty 428 Cobra Jet put out.. Yes, with the proper mods, it could have done alot more.. (words) But I think its saying alot when you can take a bone stock SOHC 4.0, and add a power-adder, and beat a 428 CJ Mustang which is stock, that today would cost you no less than $100,000...

Again I must ask the question.. By what standard are we being compared?
Thanks MSP I've always considere the 428CJ my benchmark classic stang. Your words strike strong, powerful chords. I agree completely.

As far as 'standards' by being judged: None. Nada. No new stang owner is going to pass judgement. I've gotten lots of high-beam 'flashers' in greetings from other 05 stang owners when we pass each other on the road -- INCLUDING GT's. The only standard by which judgement is passed is those that are PERCEIVED, not necessary ACTUAL. It seems that all 05 stang owners share that feeling. Some have described it as 'geeky' and I'm not going to argue.

yea,yea, I get revved on from the occasional Hyundai Tiburon (retarded behavior -- discussed @ length in other threads so I won't digress here) or I have to put up w/ some ricer telling me that his 2 liter Honda (Gnat motor w/ that flatulant exhaust! :scratch: why do people LIKE that sound?!?) is faster than my car, but thats just BS & noise, not judgement.
Old 1/30/06, 07:40 PM
GT Member

what lip are they using in that photo...did they just jimmy-rig the gt front spoiler...
Old 1/31/06, 01:04 AM
V6 Member

@P_Kiley:

Details, details, don't bother me with details. Different brand, same thing! If you followed up on the other thread you will see I brought up the GT first mentality, and just wanted to discuss a shaker for the V-6. 24-hours later one is out! I honestly felt like you were unnecessarily dismissive.

If this shaker is like the aformentioned CDC GT shaker (pictured below), it is used with the stock air box: there would be no need for a CAI because you are getting colder air from outside the engine bay. Unfortunately, the CDC shaker is not a true "ram jet" intake, because the air is re-routed to the stock air box. It is likely that any ram jet effect would be somewhat diminished by then.

(from that other thread):

Look at the way this thing brings cold air in through the back, into the stock air box, and then into the engine. They claim no flash necessary. Outside air is always the coolest and it has ductwork for rain water. Combined with a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood this would be a really nice mod.

[attachmentid=44157]

While I do not wish to cut my hood anytime soon, I think this is a better mod than a "short ram" style CAI.
Old 1/31/06, 10:42 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MSP@January 30, 2006, 5:06 PM

Its time that the hard core V8, close minded individuals start to realize that they should be proud to have us as their smaller siblings..

I want to know why you insist, in just about every single time you post something, you always have to flame GT owners. This topic is nothing about V6 vs GT at all, it is about a simple shaker system and if there would be any performance gains.
Old 1/31/06, 02:06 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The one thing you have to consider is that as long as SOME people buy it....they'll make it....

And with the V6 build numbers being so many... they have more a chance at selling a V6 model than a GT.

Now if the kit was made for both.....a little bit more of R/D opens up that door for the 6ers...and gives 'x' company more money.

And if this thread turns into a V6 vs V8 mindless thread again, we'll close it in a heartbeat...
... its been said... move on.
Old 1/31/06, 05:57 PM
GT Member

perhaps I overlooked it, but where o where was the pricetag on this system? the california dream hood is nice, I agree, but the piping of a shaker keeping moisture out of the engine compartment would definitely be welcome over the open element of the california hood.
Old 2/1/06, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Look HERE for prices. Im hoping that CDC comes out with just the Shaker like the GT ones they make.
Old 2/2/06, 07:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Sweet!! V6 parts are flowing now!!!