V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

V6 engine break-in

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/05, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay so I picked up "Klowie" on 3/25 with 4 miles on her straight from the factory, the wife got to the dealer before I did and put another 2 miles on her. I got there paid for her and drove her shinny cute behind off the lot.

V6 manual, 18R Interior sport, ext sport, basic 16" yada yada

Drove her until Saturday morning, which I went to my favorite exhaust shop only to find the F@#$@#$@#ing Flowmaster customer service S@#$@#@#$@#$@#$@# D@#$@$#@$@#$K and I can't get a super 40 3" offset/offset anywhere in So Cal. So I have a classic 2.5" installed with a 2.5" dump. Looks totally stock. Sounds impressive

Well up until this morning everything is fine and dandy, nice sound, moves good. But I noticed that it felt somewhat "retarded" like the spark, something was not right, felt there was more to be had. Just something did not feel dialed in, the motor too tight something.

So this morning I start her up 1,100 on the meter. Take my kids to school, notice the deep hum is kind of different today. So I drop the oldest off and get on it like usual out of the parking lot, which is not much maybe 2k not even enough to spin the tires, BUT this morning it was different a 1 wheel burnout making a righty and a nice pull to a second gear chirp. (although a week prior I chirped it through third getting on the freeway but that was WOT)

So did all of a sudden the motor loosen up finally ??? Anyone else have this happen to their V6 at around 1,000 miles ???

Now mind you I have built race motors before, (honda's) and usually run in my new motors the first 20 miles to seat the rings, up down, motor braking etc which has usually always netted a healthy strong running motor. But since this is my first american big (sort of) displacement motor this kind of sudden release of power is kind of new to me.

Any thoughts ???
Old 4/18/05, 04:50 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing others answer this one, too - mine (also a manual) is nearing 900 miles and has in the past couple hundred miles developed a noticeably throatier engine sound & now I'm sure I'm feeling more power, too.

This is the first new car I've ever touched, much less driven, and every step of the experience is new to me. I'm not used to cars getting *better!*

~Bel
Old 4/18/05, 05:06 PM
V6 Member

It's funny that you mention this... I just put a K&N filter in my airbox this weekend AND hit 1,000 miles today. Yesterday in particular I noticed the car was running AMAZING... instead of sounding and responding like a sluggish gas guzzler, the 'stang actually took its get up and go and got up and went. darn thing sounds like a jet engine now. I figured it had to be the air filter and was going to post a rave review about that but now that I see your post, I wonder if it was that or the mileage!

--=Kim
Old 4/18/05, 06:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I've got something to look forward to?

Did you any of you guys notice the clutch getting a little easier to put in? Mine is a little stiff and it's starting to make my knee hurt!

I had knee surgury years ago, but I've had 5 speeds since with no probs.
Old 4/18/05, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Bart, to answer your question, I have noticed that my clutch has gotten quite a bit easier to put in.

I'm at about 750 miles right now and was looking to get the K&N filter as well. Maybe I'll just wait and see what happens at around the 1k mile marker.
Old 4/18/05, 08:01 PM
V6 Member

Bart

I wonder if perhaps it's not so much the tension of the clutch but rather our position in the drivers seat and the extremely odd angle Ford seems to like its pedals situated. Anyone else feeling me on this? Especially on how close the clutch is to the brake and how small the brake pedal itself is...

I have bad knees too and ordered a dead pedal to hopefully help the layout and thus lessen the stress on my knee. I had the same issue with long trips in my old Mazda 626 and that clutch was smooth as butter.

--=K
Old 4/18/05, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

i bet the moter did not change, exhaust notes change durring the first 1000 miles or so untill they settle on one note, at least this is how it was with the last 4 mustangs i had
Old 4/18/05, 11:34 PM
Cobra R Member

I havent really felt any difference between now, and when i got my car 3 months ago (well, tomorrow will be 3 months) and i have about 6950 miles on it. The first time i took it to the track i pulled a 16.18 for my best run (575 miles) and now ive pulled a 15.10 on my gtech and 15.30's at the track. Dont know how much of it is "breaking in" but im sure its just gettin use to it..
Old 4/19/05, 05:45 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys, maybe I should try adjusting the seat? I'd hate to get stuck some where because I couldn't drive it because of my knee.......

Originally posted by Defiant@April 18, 2005, 8:04 PM
Bart

I wonder if perhaps it's not so much the tension of the clutch but rather our position in the drivers seat and the extremely odd angle Ford seems to like its pedals situated. Anyone else feeling me on this? Especially on how close the clutch is to the brake and how small the brake pedal itself is...

I have bad knees too and ordered a dead pedal to hopefully help the layout and thus lessen the stress on my knee. I had the same issue with long trips in my old Mazda 626 and that clutch was smooth as butter.

--=K
Old 4/19/05, 03:01 PM

Haven't noticed much problem with the clutch so much as I have with the gear shifter being tight, especially going into reverse. I've also noticed the headrests are uncomfortable, no matter which way I lean my seat.