V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

<< --- Rookie

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/05, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got this car because I'm going through an early mid-life crisis. Now I'm forced to admit that I have only a vague understanding of how the darn thing runs. What I'm in need of is a web site or some other place I can get info on wtf a T-Lok is and how a CAI works, etc etc. I've been reading a few magazines but obviously knowing stats and specs for various parts does nothing when I don't know what those parts are for or how they operate.

Any help?
Old 4/19/05, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

T-Lok, is basically a limited slip differential, and the only thing you need to know is that when you mash your foot into the throttle BOTH wheels spin instead of whats called a dog leg or one legged burnout etc. Where only one wheel spins, the only thing is you lose some out and out cornering ability when pushing the car to the max as both rear wheels are now being equally driven.

CAI is Cold Air Induction, and what we have seen so far there is a limit to how much more cold air the factory mass air sensor can handle. This regulates the amount of fuel the computer gives the motor based on the airflow. Most CAI units on the market for the 05 require you to get a SCT tune or equal to compensate for the extra air flow. SCT (is a performance chip tuning company, that makes software that can be downloaded into your cars brain and control a whole host of electrical functions, such as removing speed limiter currently at 110, raising the red line, which cuts fuel and spark and in the case of TCS - Traction Control System, shutting it off completely)

hope that helps
Old 4/19/05, 03:40 PM
V6 Member

Chris--

You will probably laugh your hiney off, but I learned all of the basics of bolt-ons, suspensions and engine improvements by playing Gran Turismo 4 for the PS2. Well at least that game gave me a starting point so that I could talk to gearhead types without being completely clueless. Then from there I kept asking questions, reading magazines and websites and now I am pretty comfortable discussing my Mustang's design and capabilities with anyone from my mother to my boss' mechanic brother.

To put this in perspective, I got my 2005 V6 the first week in March and knew nothing. It's now the end of April and I'm talking shop outside the deli every afternoon with all the 30-something car guys. They seem to get a huge kick out of a 25 year old female who can speak fluent carspeak.

And of course don't be shy to ask people on this forum if you're unsure as to how something works or what it's used for... that's what this board and others like it are here for!

--=K
Old 4/19/05, 04:24 PM

Achilles,

This site has helped me tremendously:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/

Good Luck.
Old 4/19/05, 05:59 PM

Hey thanks all. Kurtz that website is great mate. Thanks.