V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Tremec T5 1st and reverse issue

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/06, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tremec T5 1st and reverse issue

Ok, got official word from our shop forman. I asked him to look into my reverse issue and it's actually fairly common for all of the Tremec T5 V6 cars. He's been seeing this issue with the V6 transmission from when the T5 first came out. He was like "Oh yeah, I know exactly what you need to do..."

Alot of us have been experiencing issues where first and reverse are extremely hard to shift into. You get about half way and it either won't go any furthur, or it klunks into gear with a "clack, clack" kind of feel.

Apparently the intenals of the tranny are not up to speed enough for the first or reverse syncros to engage properly. Many of us have noticed that if you slightly let the clutch out it will pop right into gear. Right there is the key. When you begin to let the clutch out a tiny bit the clutch plate creates enough drag from the flywheel to spin-up the internals of the tranny. This method works fine bt you might get a "zing" from the syncro teeth if you let the clutch out too much.

Another way to avoid the issue is to shift into neutral, let the clutch out completely for about five seconds and then shift into gear. This is especially helpfull on cold mornings after you start the Mustang.

Let me know if this helps out any of you that have experienced this issue.
Old 10/31/06, 09:16 PM

Nice, i'm gonna try this technique out once i get the chance!
Old 10/31/06, 09:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done the "double pump" method all the way back when I had my Ranger. The mustang is no different. The manual does dicuss the lockout though which several say has helped with the V6. Mine was in the shop withing the first week on the 1-R issue - I thought surely they have fixed it since the Ranger......Nope!
Old 10/31/06, 09:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only have the issue with entering Reverse. Your technique is the cure. I can live with it.
Old 11/1/06, 08:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
Another way to avoid the issue is to shift into neutral, let the clutch out completely for about five seconds and then shift into gear. This is especially helpfull on cold mornings after you start the Mustang.

Let me know if this helps out any of you that have experienced this issue.
This helps! I came to this solution by trial and error, but knowing that it was a right solution (put in N and wait) is good. I guess letting car idle for a bit on a cold morning is not a bad thing anywhow
Old 11/3/06, 04:39 AM
GT Member

The good old "tip-in-clunk" as my dealership called it lol. Said its just normal for these trannys. (ya right!) lol
Old 11/3/06, 06:56 AM
GT Member

Try changing your tranie fluid to Royal Purple ATF, I changed mine and now it works fine, also got rid of the tranie whine
Old 11/3/06, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sviper
Try changing your tranie fluid to Royal Purple ATF, I changed mine and now it works fine, also got rid of the tranie whine
Tell me more: I am assuming it'll work in V6 T5 trannie. Did it really get rid of the whine? That's another annoyance I have in 3rd and 5th. Would it void warranty?
Old 11/3/06, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AvtoLubitel
Tell me more: I am assuming it'll work in V6 T5 trannie. Did it really get rid of the whine? That's another annoyance I have in 3rd and 5th. Would it void warranty?
I changed mine two days ago and now no whine in 3rd through 5th when crusing down the highway. I changed mine because I have heard souch good things about it and I am out of warrenty, so don't know if it voids anything, but should not since it is a better quality than what is already in there. Now I can start the engine shift in to reverse with out a problem, where as before I would either have to double pump the clutch or go in to first let it out slowly then got to reverse, also the Royal purple also has a better friction modifyer in it than the mercon V, or the gear oil, both you would have to add a friction modifyer.
Old 11/4/06, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sviper
I changed mine two days ago and now no whine in 3rd through 5th when crusing down the highway. I changed mine because I have heard souch good things about it and I am out of warrenty, so don't know if it voids anything, but should not since it is a better quality than what is already in there. Now I can start the engine shift in to reverse with out a problem, where as before I would either have to double pump the clutch or go in to first let it out slowly then got to reverse, also the Royal purple also has a better friction modifyer in it than the mercon V, or the gear oil, both you would have to add a friction modifyer.
sviper: Awesome! Which part number is it? How many bottles did you need to buy? Thanks!
Old 11/4/06, 12:12 PM
GT Member

For the rear diff use Royal Purple Max-Gear you will will need to get two quarts of which you will need 1.60 and Max-ATF which you will need to get 4 quarts of which you will need 2.85 both are about 9.99 per quart. can't find the part numbers but can purchase at most fine auto stores