V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Traction Lock

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/05, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help with this one. I am trying to get tlok installed on my car. I have spoken to the Ford dealer and they are completely confused by my request. I have checked the Ford racing site and there are a couple of different ones offered. If anyone could please give me the part number of the one they had installed that would help quite a bit. And maybe a rough price for the install. After I explained where it goes on the car, the dealer is talking 500.00 for labor, which seems alittle high. I have a V6 auto tran. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10/26/05, 07:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

3.45's
3.73's
4.10's

The reason there are a few to choose from is that they are different gear ratio. Now this part on choosing which ratio you want depends on your intentions

and this is the only T-lok they have for us

And man that labor is a big killer.
Old 10/26/05, 10:01 AM
MSP
Banned

I was quoted $200 - $300 for installation... The extra 2 or 3 hundred you have been quoted, is because you want a Ford dealership to do it.. They dont do things out of logic, they do it out of a need for money.. Their mechanics make alot of money and someones got to pay them, may as well be you... Thats their feeling.. I say find another shop.. Normally, a small mom and pop shop are the best for these types of installs..

Mom's handles the paperwork and the money, and Pop's gets the work done.. This is a Mom and Pop shop! There are thousands of them across the US..
Old 10/26/05, 12:39 PM

Hey thanks for the info. I am going to have to look into this alittle more. My basic reason for adding tlok is that I am tired of that back tire spinning in wet weather. I've add more HP to car and of course it has only gotten worse. Either way thanks.
Old 10/26/05, 12:51 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by pakman1969@October 26, 2005, 10:42 AM
Hey thanks for the info. I am going to have to look into this alittle more. My basic reason for adding tlok is that I am tired of that back tire spinning in wet weather. I've add more HP to car and of course it has only gotten worse. Either way thanks.
Dude, thats the best excuse I have ever heard for needing T-LOK!! You almost had me, until you mentioned you had increased the HP of the car.. LOL!! I thought for a minute, finally someone who is sincere about T-LOK, and not just trying to take advantage of her.. Someone who will wine and dine T-LOK with a dinner and then a Movie.. But its obvious, your just like the rest of us.. You have nothing but bad intentions for T-LOK.. You want to use and abuse her just like the rest of us.. LOL!! Way to Go!!
Old 10/26/05, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

$500 for labor on a T-Lock install is CRAZY! Even for a gear set that's high. The shop that did my gears and t-lock quoted me $100 labor if I came back later to have the T-lock installed. I would shop around... I asked a couple of tranny shops and the guys I trust at a local shop who they would recommend...
Old 10/26/05, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by ManEHawke@October 26, 2005, 8:30 AM
3.45's
3.73's
4.10's

The reason there are a few to choose from is that they are different gear ratio. Now this part on choosing which ratio you want depends on your intentions

and this is the only T-lok they have for us

And man that labor is a big killer.
So you have to buy two things to get T-Lok?
Old 10/26/05, 03:22 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by odie3@October 26, 2005, 12:00 PM
So you have to buy two things to get T-Lok?

No! You could just by the T-LOK differential, and run your stock gears.. Most choose to upgrade the rear-end gear to get a better launch.. This is at the sacrifice of MPG..

The gears.. Imagine your taking off at a stop light.. The force used to turn the rear end to get the car moving is visualized from the gear ratio..

3.27= 327Ft. lbs. of torque

3.31= 331Ft.lbs of torque---Stock for 05-V6 Mustang

3.45= 345Ft. lbs of torque

3.73= 373ft. lbs of torque

4.10= 410Ft.lbs of torque

So now you can see why most guys opt for the 4.10 gear ratio, at the sacrifice of a higher RPM which means lower MPG..

I guess you can also visualize going from your stock 3.31 to a 4.10 would be pretty fun on a dailey basis scooting around town.. The spread is 79lbs of force moving the car over stock.. With the 3.73 it is 42 .lbs.. Very noticable..

So you must choose based on what your true motivations are..

On the freeway, the stock gear @ 3.31 will be a faster car.. In the 1/4 mile the 4.10 gear will be faster.. This is because the distance of a 1/4 mile is 1312 ft.. A short distance..

Also, you must understand that when I say the 3.31 will be faster on the freeway, it doesnt mean it may get to the achieved speed faster..

Lets say a 4.10 geard car with our T-5 transmission can get to 120MPH faster than the 3.31 stock gear.. The engine rpm will look like this..

4.10 Geared 05 V6 @ 120MPH = 6122 RPM..

3.31 Geared 05V6 @ 120MPH = 4942RPM

This is in 4th gear.. So you can see, that allthough the 4.10 car was able to get to 120MPH faster, once he gets there he must shift to 5th gear.. Once he does this the party is over, and the 3.31 geared car is comin up real fast for a furious azz woopin to the hostile 4.10 geared car..

But you can also look at it like this, if the race is strictly confined to 4th gear, for saftey issues, the 4.10 car will run out of gears alot quicker.. which in a 1/4 mile, thats the main goal, to run out of gears first, before you run out of track..
Old 10/26/05, 04:32 PM

Well, I do not think I'll be going to the track [no matter how much fun it sounds]!

Also, MPG is real important to me... since I drive about 60 miles each day and it's mostly stop and go on I35/Loop 1 in Austin. Heck right now I am getting an Average of 20 MPG. I am sure the lower gears will kill me. Plus at age 38 racing the other guy at the stop lights is way out of my system [did that with my 1980 Merc Capri 2.3l Turbo in High School/College]. Now days I just wait for the traffic to clear so I can hit the CC for 75 MPH.

However with all that said, having a *little* fun now and again would be very nice.

Edit:
I wonder what would the 3.73 would do to the old MPG...
Old 10/26/05, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by odie3@October 26, 2005, 5:35 PM
Well, I do not think I'll be going to the track [no matter how much fun it sounds]!

Also, MPG is real important to me... since I drive about 60 miles each day and it's mostly stop and go on I35/Loop 1 in Austin. Heck right now I am getting an Average of 20 MPG. I am sure the lower gears will kill me. Plus at age 38 racing the other guy at the stop lights is way out of my system [did that with my 1980 Merc Capri 2.3l Turbo in High School/College]. Now days I just wait for the traffic to clear so I can hit the CC for 75 MPH.

However with all that said, having a *little* fun now and again would be very nice.

Edit:
I wonder what would the 3.73 would do to the old MPG...

42 and I refuse to grow up! LOL!

My 4.10s knocked about 2 off my MPG...
Old 10/26/05, 06:23 PM

I wish I could get 4.10 gears, but my usual freeway speed is 85-90MPH for about 30 miles in between Mountain Home ID and Boise ID on I84. The speed limit is 75, but the road is loooong and straight and not much traffic. I'd be chugging gas and running about 4500 RPM for 30 miles. Noooo way. Not in my car.
Old 10/26/05, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by JasonDelane@October 26, 2005, 7:26 PM
I wish I could get 4.10 gears, but my usual freeway speed is 85-90MPH for about 30 miles in between Mountain Home ID and Boise ID on I84. The speed limit is 75, but the road is loooong and straight and not much traffic. I'd be chugging gas and running about 4500 RPM for 30 miles. Noooo way. Not in my car.
Actually with the 4.10s you'ld be at only 3400 RPM at 90 MPH...
Old 10/26/05, 06:40 PM

Really! I think it would still feel weird driving at that RPM considering I cruise around 2500 on the freeway now. Can anyone tell me a good place to pick up T-lok and 4.10 for our V6s?
Old 10/26/05, 06:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by JasonDelane@October 26, 2005, 7:43 PM
Really! I think it would still feel weird driving at that RPM considering I cruise around 2500 on the freeway now. Can anyone tell me a good place to pick up T-lok and 4.10 for our V6s?
yeah... my tires are larger than stock so I cruise on the highway at 80MPH and my RPMs are around 2800 with my 4.10s... I would say the 3.73s would be a good fit for your type of driving...

I actually was in a hurry so I didn't shop around for the parts.. I bought them from the shop that did the install. The hole thing was $900 out the door... perhaps a little more expensive but this shop is regarded as one of the best in the state, so I was willing to pay a little extra...
Old 10/26/05, 06:57 PM

So if I kept my freeway speed down to 80 I won't be doing too bad on RPMs. I finally got around to checking out your Pony Site...I like the look of the big tires on the back. Did you leave stock tires on the front? I'm going to check out the Les Schwab site and see how much it would cost to get two big tires put on back.

I hate the fact that I spend so much of my paycheck on my car payment and insurance, that I can't afford to really do anything to the car. The military doesn't pay me nearly enough :P I can't wait to put my first mod on the car. I just dont know what the best first mod would be, cause I know I'll have to live with just that one thing until I saved enough for another one.

Any Ideas?

BTW, Scrming, your car is my favorite so far...just old school power...I love it.
Old 10/26/05, 07:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by JasonDelane@October 26, 2005, 8:00 PM
So if I kept my freeway speed down to 80 I won't be doing too bad on RPMs. I finally got around to checking out your Pony Site...I like the look of the big tires on the back. Did you leave stock tires on the front? I'm going to check out the Les Schwab site and see how much it would cost to get two big tires put on back.

I hate the fact that I spend so much of my paycheck on my car payment and insurance, that I can't afford to really do anything to the car. The military doesn't pay me nearly enough :P I can't wait to put my first mod on the car. I just dont know what the best first mod would be, cause I know I'll have to live with just that one thing until I saved enough for another one.

Any Ideas?

BTW, Scrming, your car is my favorite so far...just old school power...I love it.
Yep, I still have the stock tires up front... so I've got a 16 inch wheel up front and a 17 inch in the back...

I would say the first mod that will give you the most bang for the buck is an SCT X-Cal2. Do you have a manual or an auto? And X-Cal2 will make a noticable difference in both cars but it will make an amazing difference in the auto! I'm talking night and day difference! LOL!

And in case you haven't figured it out, I spend my money at Alternative Auto! LOL! Here's their info on the X-Cal2 for the V6

Alternative Auto

And thanks for the compliment! And taking the time to check out my page!
Old 10/26/05, 08:34 PM
V6 Member

About the install. I find sometimes the best people are at ford dealerships. Just ask them to do it outside of their work "on the side" I paid 150 for a ford mechanic to put in my rear end gears and kit on my old 5.0 . He was known by some locals for doing side jobs for reasonable prices. Maybe that will help
Old 10/26/05, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scrming@October 26, 2005, 7:49 PM
yeah... my tires are larger than stock so I cruise on the highway at 80MPH and my RPMs are around 2800 with my 4.10s... I would say the 3.73s would be a good fit for your type of driving...

I actually was in a hurry so I didn't shop around for the parts.. I bought them from the shop that did the install. The hole thing was $900 out the door... perhaps a little more expensive but this shop is regarded as one of the best in the state, so I was willing to pay a little extra...

I was leaning towards the 373's, but if I put bigger tires on the back...410's might work out ok. Hmmmm, how to spend my money.

I'm still not sure on what gears to get. Have to sleep on it. But 410s suddenly sound nice.
Old 10/26/05, 10:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally, I thought that I would move to a 3.73:1 ratio to get 3rd gear "more in the hunt" for two-lane highway passing. At that time, I would add the T-lok, as I didn't buy the factory Traction Control System. However, after driving the car for 2,000 miles, I find that 3rd gear has a goodly amount of power; enough for a nice safe pass. Also, I love the incredible mileage that I get. But perhaps my biggest reason for keeping the gear ratio set is that I like the pitch of the exhaust that I get in the 60 to 70 MPH region with my dual Magnaflows. To me, it sounds as it should; not too high a pitch, and almost a lumbering cruise sound. The final decision is from the premium fuel that I burn. I notice that with regular, I would get a pre-knock grumble below 60 MPH in 5th. With premium fuel, I can run with a light throttle setting down to just 50 MPH.
So, just a T-loc will be fine for me. I'll post my bid price once I get it.
Old 10/27/05, 08:21 AM

I am in Atlanta and the Ford dealers here that I have contacted are all tools. But we do have Dugan Racing here, I will give them a call. Thanks for all the info. I think while I have tlok installed I might as well change the gears to a 3.73. I can't think of a real good reason to change the gears, but why not since the back end is already down. At least I can get to the next light faster than the guy next to me. Does anyone know of any place else in the ATL area? I want to shop the prices.

Quick Reply: Traction Lock