V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Tested the gears

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/06, 03:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1trickpony @ February 12, 2006, 1:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The only drawback I see with the 3.73s is the extra shift as trap speeds hit the mid 90s. I'm guessing the gears will get you .2-.3 seconds in the quarter, but the extra shift will cost you .2 seconds. Its almost a wash if this is the case. Even if its a wash at the track, I'll take the around town fun.
[/b][/quote]
I don't think a shift at 90 mph will cause you to lose 2 tenths. Yes a shift may take that long, but you are still coasting for .2, meaning you are still moving, just not accelerating.
Fazm has it down with shifting at 5800 to maximize what he can out of 4th acceleration.
Old 2/12/06, 07:05 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 11, 2006, 10:19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ya, only drawback on them i see so far. Around town its just insane how much pull i have. Im sure once i squeeze some more HP out of the car, ill make better use of the gearing. Then after boost ill make real good use [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Man I was planning on going this past Friday or Sat on the 10th or 11th to Firebird but I found out that I needed a helmet lol duh lol Which reminds me. Do you guys now where there are any stores that sell them for a good price? I don't race that much so the cheapest one that passes approval will do. I would like to find an actuall store too so I could try them on. I don't want to buy one off the internet and get the wrong size.

Also were did you guys get your gears done at. Im taking mine into AMP (all mustang performance) in Phoenix this Valintines day. I want to take it there cause all they do is mustangs or at least they specialize in them. It's the only shop I could find really in AZ that was just Mustang orientated. I don't want to get my car worked on with any place that associates with Imports. Im getting 3.73's,t-lok,Diablo tuner, and a dyno tune. It will run me about $2000-$2100. They say about $1000- $1100 for the installation and parts for the gears & tlok. The Diablo tuner is $400 and to throw it on the dyno and get a dyno tune is $500.00. Sound about right. (never had my car tuned before) Im looking forward to it.
Old 2/12/06, 07:10 PM
GT Member

you dont need a helmet unless you run under a 14.
Old 2/12/06, 07:20 PM
GT Member

Ah really!, the website didn't say that or I miss reading it. Well thats cool to know I guess I'll be down there in a few weeks, hopefully we'll meet up with each other. I was wondering how does it work at Firebird. Do you race who ever you end up lined up with? Like would I end up racing some supercharged V8 Camaro? Or do i race other V6's? do they keep you in your class. Do you race people with mods against other people with mods? Or could I end up racing someone stock? I would hope so to make some good races up.I dont want to race some impreza sti and get smoked lol but if thats the case oh well I'll give it my best shot.
Old 2/12/06, 07:22 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ricklmesa@***.net @ February 12, 2006, 8:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ah really!, the website didn't say that or I miss reading it. Well thats cool to know I guess I'll be down there in a few weeks, hopefully we'll meet up with each other. I was wondering how does it work at Firebird. Do you race who ever you end up lined up with? Like would I end up racing some supercharged V8 Camaro? Or do i race other V6's? do they keep you in your class. I would hope so to make some good races up.I dont want to race some impreza sti and get smoked lol but if thats the case oh well I'll give it my best shot.
[/b][/quote]

i've been up against everything from a blown viper, to a 23 second kia rio.
Old 2/12/06, 07:28 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 12, 2006, 7:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]
So where did you get your work dont at? Does my price for my work sound about right to you?
Old 2/12/06, 07:38 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ricklmesa@***.net @ February 12, 2006, 9:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
So where did you get your work dont at? Does my price for my work sound about right to you?
[/b][/quote]

I would recommend you get a SCT-2 instead of the diablo and really a dyno tune is unnecessary save the 1000 bucks and get lca's or somethin. but yeah 1100 seems a lil high but shops like that some times are a little more pricey, for my springs it was 650 intalled and that was high but it was at the best shop in town. I really strongly urge you to reconsider the diablo/dyno and go with the sct-2 from bama or bren and pocket the 1k. or 500 sorry
Old 2/12/06, 07:47 PM
Cobra R Member

I also recommend the sct2 over the diablo. As far as the price goes, depending on how they break it down, it might be a bit pricey, but AMP does know there stuff. The dyno tune is extremely outrageous though, call az dyno chip.
Old 2/12/06, 07:58 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrumStyxs10 @ February 12, 2006, 9:13 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
you dont need a helmet unless you run under a 14.
[/b][/quote]

Some tracks now require a helmet no matter what your ET is...

I'm just using my motorcycle HJC helment... available at any motorcycle shop... or even places like Wal-mart... I don't know if motorcycle helmets meet the actual specs for drag racing but know one has never checked... they just make sure you have a helmet...
Old 2/12/06, 08:03 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scrming @ February 12, 2006, 9:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Some tracks now require a helmet no matter what your ET is...

I'm just using my motorcycle HJC helment... available at any motorcycle shop... or even places like Wal-mart... I don't know if motorcycle helmets meet the actual specs for drag racing but know one has never checked... they just make sure you have a helmet...
[/b][/quote]

firebird is pretty thorough with their tech inspection. They dont require a helmet unless ur runnin 13.99 or faster, or for ALL convert's
Old 2/12/06, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 12, 2006, 9:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I have a funny feeling I will run up against a lot of Scion tc's this year. There are a ton of them in my area with rims and fart cans. I'm looking forward to it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/starwars.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 08:55 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 12, 2006, 8:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have a funny feeling I will run up against a lot of Scion tc's this year. There are a ton of them in my area with rims and fart cans. I'm looking forward to it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/starwars.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Yea my dad got a Scion Tc he got the toyota aftermarket exhaust on it , he gave up his 85 GT Mustang convertible for it. I drove it. You'll have nothing to worry about lol. (sorry Dad lol) Meybe with the supercharged ones but they'll be running what we run stock pretty much.
Old 2/12/06, 09:09 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ricklmesa@***.net @ February 12, 2006, 10:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yea my dad got a Scion Tc he got the toyota aftermarket exhaust on it , he gave up his 85 GT Mustang convertible for it. I drove it. You'll have nothing to worry about lol. (sorry Dad lol) Meybe with the supercharged ones but they'll be running what we run stock pretty much.
[/b][/quote]

With the AEM CAI and exhaust upgrade from Scion, it puts out 141 rwhp. I saw a 700HP one in a mag at the market, but was wondering how it was putting the power to the wheels, and what kind of rear end it has? Oh well, dosent matter, I'm sure one will put up next to me at the track.
Old 2/12/06, 09:18 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 12, 2006, 7:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I also recommend the sct2 over the diablo. As far as the price goes, depending on how they break it down, it might be a bit pricey, but AMP does know there stuff. The dyno tune is extremely outrageous though, call az dyno chip.
[/b][/quote]

Everybody recomends the sct over the diablo but the majority of those people are those with auto tranny's. I looked into each tuner and the Diablo offers the same features as the SCT. The Diablo has been know for poor TQ #'s and shift points for the automatics. I have a manual and I wont be using those options so I see no point in getting the SCT plus I don't think AMP works with SCT or I would, just Diablo's so I don't want to throw them off by having them use something they normally don't work with, that could result in poorer numbers. Plus im really stuck on getting the work done at AMP. I dont really want to plug anything into my car and mess with it, Ill leave that to them. I talked to them about just putting some preloaded tunes into the car and they said thats what they usually do. They said its really up to me, no pressure what so ever but a dyno/tune will usually always come out on top with a lot better results. Plus I want to know my HP & TQ #'s anyways. $500.00 more for the Dyno/tune

Im gunna talk to them more tommorrow about it more but it makes more since to just get it dyno/tuned once. Plus im going to be leaving the car alone mod wise for a little bit ( at least im gunna try lol) So I can focus more on what I want to do with my life (school wise) and I want to throw some extra money towards my payments a month to get the little beast paid off sooner. But along the way I will find something to do to it im sure.
Old 2/13/06, 12:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManEHawke @ February 13, 2006, 7:07 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I don't think a shift at 90 mph will cause you to lose 2 tenths. Yes a shift may take that long, but you are still coasting for .2, meaning you are still moving, just not accelerating.
Fazm has it down with shifting at 5800 to maximize what he can out of 4th acceleration.
[/b][/quote]

Its just a rule of thumb some magazines use. This will depend on the person and the car. A good driver and a good shifter can really help.
Old 2/13/06, 11:16 AM
GT Member

I would also recomend SCT over Dialblo , its not just the manual vs auto issue..there is more... . 500 for a dyno tune is way too much and a grand for the tloc and gears is no special either, but it seems u already made up your mind , Good Luck.
Old 2/13/06, 06:54 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Puerto Rico 4.6 @ February 13, 2006, 11:19 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I would also recomend SCT over Dialblo , its not just the manual vs auto issue..there is more... . 500 for a dyno tune is way too much and a grand for the tloc and gears is no special either, but it seems u already made up your mind , Good Luck.
[/b][/quote]
What more is there to it? Nodody can ever explain when I ask them all they tell me is " Just go with the SCT from Bamachips" lol $500.00 for a dyno is alot but the shop specializes in mustangs. As for the price for the gears & tlock I think the labor is just higher here than in most states.

Well I didnt get a chance to talk to AMP but im taking my car down there tommorrow to drop it off for a few days, so i'll just speak with them in person.

Well wish me luck, you guys got me all nervous about the diablo but I don't see why I will end up with a bad tune from a shop that specializes in using the Diablo. If I make at least 200hp at the wheel (being a manual in all) I'll be happy.

Hope fully , we'll see [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 07:00 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ricklmesa@***.net @ February 13, 2006, 7:57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What more is there to it? Nodody can ever explain when I ask them all they tell me is " Just go with the SCT from Bamachips" lol $500.00 for a dyno is alot but the shop specializes in mustangs. As for the price for the gears & tlock I think the labor is just higher here than in most states.

Well I didnt get a chance to talk to AMP but im taking my car down there tommorrow to drop it off for a few days, so i'll just speak with them in person.

Well wish me luck, you guys got me all nervous about the diablo but I don't see why I will end up with a bad tune from a shop that specializes in using the Diablo. If I make at least 200hp at the wheel (being a manual in all) I'll be happy.

Hope fully , we'll see [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Does the $500 include the cost of the diablo? or is it $340+500?
AZ dynochip has tuned 2 v6's that i know of, and 3 supercharged gt's. They quoted me bout $250-$280 for a custom dyno tune.
Old 2/13/06, 07:22 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 13, 2006, 7:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Does the $500 include the cost of the diablo? or is it $340+500?
AZ dynochip has tuned 2 v6's that i know of, and 3 supercharged gt's. They quoted me bout $250-$280 for a custom dyno tune.
[/b][/quote]
No, the dyno tune itself is $500.00 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] . Does AZ Dynochip work on mustangs only? Do they do other work besides dynoing. See thats my problem, I dont want to get the gears & tlock installed at one place then I'll haft to drive with my speedometer all messed up for meybe a week till I get it tuned and dyno'd ( if I did that I could go with SCT 2 route and meybe save a little on the dyno at AZ dyno tune) How bad is the speedometer after gears are installed? Is it tolerable?. Thats why im in the position to get the diablo cause the shop has it there already plus Im stuck on getting the gears installed there anway but if its not that bad and it won't hurt the car driving around like that will it? I'll just tell them to install the gears & tlok & I'll get it dyno'd else were. It could save me a little money. Are you sure AZ dynochip have custom Dyno tunes for $280? Does AZ dyno tunes specialize in SCT 2? Do they sell them?
Old 2/13/06, 07:24 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ricklmesa@***.net @ February 13, 2006, 9:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
No, the dyno tune itself is $500.00 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img] . Does AZ Dynochip work on mustangs only? Do they do other work besides dynoing. See thats my problem, I dont want to get the gears & tlock installed at one place then I'll haft to drive with my speedometer all messed up for meybe a week till I get it tuned and dyno'd ( if I did that I could go with SCT 2 route and meybe save a little on the dyno at AZ dyno tune) How bad is the speedometer after gears are installed? Is it tolerable?. Thats why im in the position to get the diablo cause the shop has it there already plus Im stuck on getting the gears installed there anway but if its not that bad and it won't hurt the car driving around like that will it? It could save me a little money. Are you sure AZ dynochip have custom Dyno tunes for $280? Does AZ dyno tunes specialize in SCT 2? Do they sell them?
[/b][/quote]

My speedo was off by like 18mph after my 4.10s, can't remember exactly. Can't remember exactly, it was a long time ago.

Quick Reply: Tested the gears