V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Tested the gears

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/06, 08:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ricklmesa@***.net @ February 11, 2006, 9:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Where in AZ are you? Im in Mesa.
[/b][/quote]

Im down in ahwatukee, right next to firebird raceway basically
Old 2/11/06, 09:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

14.84 is a great time for taking it easy on the fresh gearset. I bet those 14's are going be alot more consistent now.
Old 2/11/06, 09:36 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManEHawke @ February 11, 2006, 10:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
14.84 is a great time for taking it easy on the fresh gearset. I bet those 14's are going be alot more consistent now.
[/b][/quote]

all 4 of my runs that night were in the 14s. 3 14.8's and a 14.9 (first run)
Old 2/11/06, 09:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

That's awesome.
With the 3.73's 3rd tops out at around 93mph right?
With the added gear reduction did the trap speed increase where you had to shift to 4th at the very end?
Old 2/11/06, 09:49 PM
Cobra R Member

the 14.9 was me hittin the rev limiter in 3rd gear. the 14.8 runs were all shifting out of 3rd @ 5800rpm. And i think my fastest mph that night was 91 something. Before it was just under 93mph. So i think im losing top end, but thats probably because i tried lowering my tire pressure too much (25psi)
Old 2/11/06, 10:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

For testing, it could be good for one run to raise redline to 6100. In theory it sounds like it could render at the most 1 tenth, by not hitting the limiter for the run, and not requiring the additional shift. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/11/06, 10:03 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManEHawke @ February 11, 2006, 11:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
For testing, it could be good for one run to raise redline to 6100. In theory it sounds like it could render at the most 1 tenth, by not hitting the limiter for the run, and not requiring the additional shift. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

its already at 6100 [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] lol
Old 2/11/06, 10:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

man, and it still hit that limiter. They are shorter than I thought they would be.
Old 2/11/06, 10:16 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ManEHawke @ February 11, 2006, 11:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
man, and it still hit that limiter. They are shorter than I thought they would be.
[/b][/quote]

Ya, only drawback on them i see so far. Around town its just insane how much pull i have. Im sure once i squeeze some more HP out of the car, ill make better use of the gearing. Then after boost ill make real good use [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 12:31 AM
V6 Member

I live in Tempe Rick Fazm and I were at Firebird track on Friday off of I-10..You should definetely come down.......
Old 2/12/06, 02:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

The only drawback I see with the 3.73s is the extra shift as trap speeds hit the mid 90s. I'm guessing the gears will get you .2-.3 seconds in the quarter, but the extra shift will cost you .2 seconds. Its almost a wash if this is the case. Even if its a wash at the track, I'll take the around town fun.
Old 2/12/06, 11:22 AM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1trickpony @ February 12, 2006, 3:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The only drawback I see with the 3.73s is the extra shift as trap speeds hit the mid 90s. I'm guessing the gears will get you .2-.3 seconds in the quarter, but the extra shift will cost you .2 seconds. Its almost a wash if this is the case. Even if its a wash at the track, I'll take the around town fun.
[/b][/quote]

yes, a 3.65 gear would be perfect, but unfortunately not an option. As HP levels increase, i will be using more of 4th gear (hopefully much more [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] )
Old 2/12/06, 11:45 AM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 12, 2006, 10:25 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
yes, a 3.65 gear would be perfect, but unfortunately not an option. As HP levels increase, i will be using more of 4th gear (hopefully much more [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img] )
[/b][/quote]

Yes.. With more power, you will learn to appreciate 4th gear somewhere around the 1/8th marker.. I tend to think a really good run has you sfifting into 4th about 50ft before the 1/8th marker.. LOL! Now of course you understand this demands a tremendous amount of power.. What HP range is required I'm not sure.. However, you actually may need something taller with the Turbo.. Perhaps not.. I really like the guy who said he is using a 3.45 gear...

That guy is an absolute genius..! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I believe his name is Esorense! We gotta watch out for this guy.. He is planning huge upsets in the future.. Basically his tact allows you to believe you are winning the race up to somewhere around the 1/8th marker.. In then in the blink of an eye, he blows past you towards the end of the race.. LOL!! He is setting us all up bigtime!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 11:54 AM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 12, 2006, 12:48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yes.. With more power, you will learn to appreciate 4th gear somewhere around the 1/8th marker.. I tend to think a really good run has you sfifting into 4th about 50ft before the 1/8th marker.. LOL! Now of course you understand this demands a tremendous amount of power.. What HP range is required I'm not sure.. However, you actually may need something taller with the Turbo.. Perhaps not.. I really like the guy who said he is using a 3.45 gear...

That guy is an absolute genius..! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I believe his name is Esorense! We gotta watch out for this guy.. He is planning huge upsets in the future.. Basically his tact allows you to believe you are winning the race up to somewhere around the 1/8th marker.. In then in the blink of an eye, he blows past you towards the end of the race.. LOL!! He is setting us all up bigtime!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

He is going to be switchin his 3.45's out for 3.73s in the near future [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 11:55 AM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fazm @ February 12, 2006, 10:57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
He is going to be switchin his 3.45's out for 3.73s in the near future [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Yeah my bad!! I worked all the numbers on this before.. We are best with the 3.73's.!! LOL!! The numbers dont lie.. The 3.73 is the best for us! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 12, 2006, 1:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah my bad!! I worked all the numbers on this before.. We are best with the 3.73's.!! LOL!! The numbers dont lie.. The 3.73 is the best for us! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I have to say I've been happy with the switch to 3.73's, and hopefully it will help my 1/4 mile times and launches this track season.
Old 2/12/06, 12:23 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 12, 2006, 11:22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have to say I've been happy with the switch to 3.73's, and hopefully it will help my 1/4 mile times and launches this track season.
[/b][/quote]

AHH!! There he is! Just sent you a PM!

Yeah, the 3.73's are best for us, based on the engine powerband of the SOHC 4.0 in our cars.. This is most likley why Fazm's time was so good.. He was able to capitalize on the powerband because of his gearing and driving technique.. Since Fazm lives so close to a track, he will most likley be the better driver among us..

It is more than likley, that I would allow him to run the Vortech V6 Mustang atleast once, to see if I am missing out on something based on my technique.. This would of course be if I were to go to Arizona, or he came out here.. LOL!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

I would of course set the rev limiter to bounce off of 5499rpm! LOL!! I hope you understand fazm! No spinning my motor up to 6100rpm! Not today, tomorrow or ever!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 12:29 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 12, 2006, 2:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
AHH!! There he is! Just sent you a PM!

Yeah, the 3.73's are best for us, based on the engine powerband of the SOHC 4.0 in our cars.. This is most likley why Fazm's time was so good.. He was able to capitalize on the powerband because of his gearing and driving technique.. Since Fazm lives so close to a track, he will most likley be the better driver among us..

It is more than likley, that I would allow him to run the Vortech V6 Mustang atleast once, to see if I am missing out on something based on my technique.. This would of course be if I were to go to Arizona, or he came out here.. LOL!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
I would of course set the rev limiter to bounce off of 5499rpm! LOL!! I hope you understand fazm! No spinning my motor up to 6100rpm! Not today, tomorrow or ever!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I have to wonder also on my power levels, if my lower gear is helping me hit 278. The only bench mark I have is Scrming's dyno sheets. Either that or my x pipe, though I am not sure. And I run a 93 tune all the time.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 12:32 PM
MSP
Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rygenstormlocke @ February 12, 2006, 11:32 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have to wonder also on my power levels, if my lower gear is helping me hit 278. The only bench mark I have is Scrming's dyno sheets. Either that or my x pipe, though I am not sure. And I run a 93 tune all the time.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headscratch.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

It looks to me like Scrming's tune is geard toward torque, and your is geared toward HP... Scrming will beat you to the 1/8th, you will beat him to the traps!! Just my observation.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 12:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 12, 2006, 2:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It looks to me like Scrming's tune is geard toward torque, and your is geared toward HP... Scrming will beat you to the 1/8th, you will beat him to the traps!! Just my observation.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Thanks! That was my goal with the last set of mods. Now, how do I get my car to Fazm or a really good driver in case I can't break 13.4 myself. LOL.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MSP @ February 12, 2006, 2:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

And I think he sprays earlier than me (@2100 rpm) and I spray at 2500.

Quick Reply: Tested the gears