V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/05, 03:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, Bridgette is sitting a 2k miles right now (Ive only had her a month ). so I have her first oil change in my near future.

I was getting my wife's oil changed today so I checked the pricing on the synths for the Stang while I was there. Well, we chatted a bit and the guy behind the counter said I should wait until about 10k miles to switch to synth so that the seals & rings have the chance to heat up & break in first.

Since I'm only slightly more intelligent than Forrest Gump I thought I might toss that out and get the opinions of a few of you who are more knowledgeable than I on this subject. Should I wait as suggested or is it more advisable to switch over now? And if so: why?
Old 5/13/05, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MojoKhan@May 13, 2005, 5:02 PM
OK, Bridgette is sitting a 2k miles right now (Ive only had her a month ). so I have her first oil change in my near future.

I was getting my wife's oil changed today so I checked the pricing on the synths for the Stang while I was there. Well, we chatted a bit and the guy behind the counter said I should wait until about 10k miles to switch to synth so that the seals & rings have the chance to heat up & break in first.

Since I'm only slightly more intelligent than Forrest Gump I thought I might toss that out and get the opinions of a few of you who are more knowledgeable than I on this subject. Should I wait as suggested or is it more advisable to switch over now? And if so: why?

I switched to a synthetic at 5K miles on my second change, the first being at 3K. Ive got 5600 miles on the car now and havent evidenced a bit of trouble. There was a pretty good debate in the GT forums over this. Good info to read.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...01&hl=synthetic

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...91&hl=synthetic
Old 5/13/05, 06:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

It's to low and not very good as you may think to switch to Synthetic so soon, IMO it'd be best at 10k minimmum. Young engines don't really need them unless engineered that way from factory. Midage engines are what will benefit, so I'll be going synthetic at 30k for mine.
Old 5/13/05, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

The owners manual and the Ford websites are preety clear on this. The GT uses synthetic blend. The V6 uses regular or synthetic blend. The oil filter for this car is special. It has a silicone bypass valve. I'm changing oil every 5,000 miles with motorcraft blend and motorcraft filter. My other cars have 200K and up with no problems and regular changes at 5,000 miles.