V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Show us the numbers

Search this Thread

Old 1/24/06, 09:47 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My, my, my.

Once again, I would like to point out that this thread was titled "Show Us Your Numbers."

This is exactly why I started this thread. If you just agree with everything everyone has to say your "cool." Question anyone seriously and you quickly become a pariah--so no one questions anyone. Well, before I drop $500-1,000 of my hard earned cash on voiding my warranty, I am going to question and ask (and I asked nicely enough) for some hard evidence.

The "President" comment, and the little thing at the end there, were purely jokes: you would have to be really miffed not to see that. I honestly belive that anyone still reading this thread will decide for themselves what everyone's intent was here, and what lines were crossed; and I fully trust them to do so. A step-by-step take down of my last post was really unnessesary and it shows rage.

In order to spare our friends here any more grief I will wash my hands of this thread and move on.

I learned a great deal: I checked everyone's dynos and have yet to see any consistant numbers that show anything more than 12 hp gains, on an automatic, with 93 octane fuel and a tune (and only a few of those). Anyone who does not believe that can look up the threads and dynos themselves. (The benefits of an axle-back exhaust remain a mystery.)

I would like to thank everyone for the time they took to respond. I am taking time here too. I would like to thank Scrming (and the others) for responding in the spirit in which this thread was originally intended (Rygenstormlocke too, although I did not check your links at first which was my bad). Excepcion13: believe it or not I am not angry at you. You originally responded in good faith, I understand that, but I think you got too offended when I asked for the sheet. I will leave it at that.
Old 1/24/06, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 24, 2006, 12:50 PM
Excepcion13: believe it or not I am not angry at you. You originally responded in good faith, I understand that, but I think you got too offended when I asked for the sheet. I will leave it at that.
Naw, man, it wasn't that you asked for a Dyno sheet. It was the way you asked and the attitude of the OP in general. BTW, rage is a very extreme form of anger, and there is nothing you can post that will "enrage" me. But a play by play becomes necessary to prove a point.

I am not mad at you, either T-Stang, I am just letting you know that my purpose in coming here has nothing to do with you or proving anything to you. I come here to exchange news with individuals interested in making their V6's scream. In fact, we are all here to share our accomplishments/frustrations/knowledge. We are all very proud of our cars and are eager to meet with people who share our passion for the S-197. I do not come here to feel like I am on trial. I understand people attacking my ideas. heck, Hypothtical Horse Power is up for attack. I am just not used to having my integrity questioned.

I admit that I did not take the "high road" in all of this. You might have meant well but you come across very abrasive. All we know about you is what we read here. It is very easy to misread someone in cyberspace.

Most of us cannot afford to dyno after a single mod. I will be posting numbers again after I switch to duals.
Old 1/24/06, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Excepcion13@January 24, 2006, 12:54 PM
Naw, man, it wasn't that you asked for a Dyno sheet. It was the way you asked and the attitude of the OP in general. BTW, rage is a very extreme form of anger, and there is nothing you can post that will "enrage" me. But a play by play becomes necessary to prove a point.

I am not mad at you, either T-Stang, I am just letting you know that my purpose in coming here has nothing to do with you or proving anything to you. I come here to exchange news with individuals interested in making their V6's scream. In fact, we are all here to share our accomplishments/frustrations/knowledge. We are all very proud of our cars and are eager to meet with people who share our passion for the S-197. I do not come here to feel like I am on trial. I understand people attacking my ideas. heck, Hypothtical Horse Power is up for attack. I am just not used to having my integrity questioned.

I admit that I did not take the "high road" in all of this. You might have meant well but you come across very abrasive. All we know about you is what we read here. It is very easy to misread someone in cyberspace.

Most of us cannot afford to dyno after a single mod. I will be posting numbers again after I switch to duals.

This thread refuses to die. LOL.

I agree with Excepcion13, its not what you asked, it is how you asked and how you responded. I tried to articulate that in my last response, but all you took away from it was my explainging the president comment. Thats fine, if you say it was a joke thats cool. Let me go google something on Mustangs so Bush can see how many Mustang nuts are on the net. LOL.

Now would be a good time to chime in about your stang, what you have done to her, what your plans are, etc.
Old 1/24/06, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by T-stang@January 24, 2006, 11:50 AM
My, my, my.

Once again, I would like to point out that this thread was titled "Show Us Your Numbers."

This is exactly why I started this thread. If you just agree with everything everyone has to say your "cool." Question anyone seriously and you quickly become a pariah--so no one questions anyone. Well, before I drop $500-1,000 of my hard earned cash on voiding my warranty, I am going to question and ask (and I asked nicely enough) for some hard evidence.

The "President" comment, and the little thing at the end there, were purely jokes: you would have to be really miffed not to see that. I honestly belive that anyone still reading this thread will decide for themselves what everyone's intent was here, and what lines were crossed; and I fully trust them to do so. A step-by-step take down of my last post was really unnessesary and it shows rage.

In order to spare our friends here any more grief I will wash my hands of this thread and move on.

I learned a great deal: I checked everyone's dynos and have yet to see any consistant numbers that show anything more than 12 hp gains, on an automatic, with 93 octane fuel and a tune (and only a few of those). Anyone who does not believe that can look up the threads and dynos themselves. (The benefits of an axle-back exhaust remain a mystery.)

I would like to thank everyone for the time they took to respond. I am taking time here too. I would like to thank Scrming (and the others) for responding in the spirit in which this thread was originally intended (Rygenstormlocke too, although I did not check your links at first which was my bad). Excepcion13: believe it or not I am not angry at you. You originally responded in good faith, I understand that, but I think you got too offended when I asked for the sheet. I will leave it at that.

Also, Scrming can probably confirm, cause we are roughly at the same power levels. We are 27HP over a stock auto (stock auto is 167 RWHP SAE), not 12. I'm pretty darn happy with 27HP over stock NA.
Old 1/27/06, 01:14 AM
V6 Member

Not to stir things up again, but Scrming's second dyno, the one he posted on this thread, shows a 9 hp gain with a C&L and a tune. These runs were made with his Magnaflow muffler installed, which he thinks gives him about 10 hp (although he says he never ran back-to-back dynos on the muffler alone). That's 19 hp, which is great, but it's not 27 hp or 31. If the muffler alone is only producing say 5-7 hp, it is even less (although still around 15 hp, which I consider respectable).

And I am still curious: why did so many of you after market tuners buy automatics in the first place? I test drove an automatic and it was a D-A-W-G compared to the stick-shift!
Old 1/27/06, 04:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 27, 2006, 3:17 AM
Not to stir things up again, but Scrming's second dyno, the one he posted on this thread, shows a 9 hp gain with a C&L and a tune. These runs were made with his Magnaflow muffler installed, which he thinks gives him about 10 hp (although he says he never ran back-to-back dynos on the muffler alone). That's 19 hp, which is great, but it's not 27 hp or 31. If the muffler alone is only producing say 5-7 hp, it is even less (although still around 15 hp, which I consider respectable).

And I am still curious: why did so many of you after market tuners buy automatics in the first place? I test drove an automatic and it was a D-A-W-G compared to the stick-shift!
It's a D-A-W-G because it was stock... The Ford Torque Managment System prevents the automatic from really performing.... Also Ford likes their shifs so smooth you don't even feel them... The automatic has incredible potential... just needs to be unlock with and X-Cal2... It is a night and day difference... you won't believe it's the same car... Especially if you have Lidio set the shift firmness to "Barbaric"! LOL!
Old 1/27/06, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I haven't driven an auto, so I can't weigh in on that, BUT I remember SCRMING had a little placard he showed with his car (remember, John?) that went into more detail about the new auto tranny for the Mustang. And from alla ccounts, auto GTs are smoking guys with sticks at the track. Also, the dealer mix put out by ford called for only 10% of V6's and 30% of V8's have manual transmissions. Each lot may ahve varied, but most of the cars out there had auto trannys.

And there's no denying John's 13 second 1/4 mile.....
Old 1/27/06, 09:34 AM
V6 Member

I can appreciate that Ford programmed the auto tranny one way instead of another, and I personally believe that is why the flash tuners seem to get more improvement out of auto tranny cars. But my question really is, if you were looking for maximum speed from a V-6, why would you choose an auto tranny in the first place? No matter how good the tune, an auto will never match the hp numbers (at the rear wheel) of an identically set manual because it is less efficient. Additionally, it was a no cost option!

Was it strictly an availability issue when you guys bought your cars? Was it because of snow conditions in your area? Or did some of you have to compromise because you could only buy the 'stanger if wifey could drive it too. (Ah, maybe that's the one?)

Old 1/27/06, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by T-stang@January 27, 2006, 11:37 AM
I can appreciate that Ford programmed the auto tranny one way instead of another, and I personally believe that is why the flash tuners seem to get more improvement out of auto tranny cars. But my question really is, if you were looking for maximum speed from a V-6, why would you choose an auto tranny in the first place? No matter how good the tune, an auto will never match the hp numbers (at the rear wheel) of an identically set manual because it is less efficient. Additionally, it was a no cost option!

Was it strictly an availability issue when you guys bought your cars? Was it because of snow conditions in your area? Or did some of you have to compromise because you could only buy the 'stanger if wifey could drive it too. (Ah, maybe that's the one?)

Actually I will admit it. The auto was the compromise with the wife. But I'm still pleased with the gains I'm getting with the car and the mods. But I did tell her a few days ago the next stang will be a stick, and she will just have to deal.
Old 1/27/06, 12:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by T-stang@January 27, 2006, 11:37 AM
//Was it strictly an availability issue when you guys bought your cars? Was it because of snow conditions in your area? Or did some of you have to compromise because you could only buy the 'stanger if wifey could drive it too. (Ah, maybe that's the one?)

Several reasons--the wife, the kids, and my back! My wife and I both have owned standard shift cars in the past, so that's not an issue. It's a matter of having 4 kids that need to concentrate on DRIVING and not SHIFTING...so, many reasons.

I drove the auto and really thought it was pretty decent...it's like a whole new car with the tuner, though

I've gained at LEAST 50 HP from the tune alone!!
Old 1/27/06, 12:36 PM
Cobra R Member

im sure availability stopped some people from getting the 5 speed. When i bought mine there were 2 5 speeds left in the valley, and the other one might have been sold already, but it was sunday and the inventory list didnt update until monday. So i had to give up dark interior in order to get a 5 speed. I just have to clean it lots since im a mechanic i get it really dirty.
Old 1/27/06, 01:20 PM
GT Member

Too old to play with clutches, LOVE the auto,and IF I get that need to tire my left leg I'll roll out the 65 Chevy w/ 454 and a Muncie behind it. But I don't have that need too often.....
Old 1/28/06, 12:02 AM
V6 Member

50 hp??? I gained over 100 hp, and here's my dyno to prove it:

[attachmentid=43884]

2,314 peak hp, and 2,283 lbs. of torque!!! What do you think of that, huh? And that's with a stock exhaust running on 87 octane! Unfortunately, my tires are only rated for 140 mph.

:worship:

Some of you have asked me about my ride and I have not yet responded:

V-6 (obviously).
5-speed manual.
K&N drop-in air filter.
Stant locking gas cap.
Custom floor mats.
Radar detector.
That's it.

I am considering a Ford Racing exhaust.

"Why then?" you must be asking.

I got my new 'stang in January of '05. I bought the V-6 because I figured my racing days were over. My best friend (yes, T-stang has friends), who has an '04 SVT Cobra, has a couple of buddies out here in San Bernadino who run a custom Mustang shop (I really don't know the name, they are just my friend's buddies to me). They offered to supercharge my V-6 for free provided I give them my car for a couple of weeks and allowed them to do whatever they had to in order to develop a new supercharger for the V-6 platform--cutting my hood, the whole bit. They felt they could get the whole project into one of the hot rod magazines and get some publicity for their shop. I don't know if they planned to re-build the whole bottom end, or just slap a supercharger on top of it (negotiations never really got that far), but the finished product would be mine, and it would be a "one of" custom prototype.

They were talking some outrageous V-8 killing hp (it was to be a prototype after all), but they were also talking about voiding my warranty--and my extended service contract--which would then force me to deal with their shop only for adjustments and repairs. It reminded me of my youth and several other cars I had really tweaked (that may be why my friend recommended me in the first place), only to become a slave to my engine's needs. I passed on their offer--much to everyone's surprise--but I believe they are still willing to customize my car for me for a fee. In the meantime I am looking to see what's working out there, and needless to say, nothing real or imagined comes close to a custom blower.

In reality, emission controls have made it too hard to squeeze any decent hp out of these rides anymore. Ford has done a good job of getting what they can out of her. I honestly remember a time when you could bolt-on 100 hp or more in a single weekend! $500-1,000 for 10, 20, or even 30 hp is not a bargain if you can't pass smog or void your warranty. I could probably afford to build a second racing engine and have someone install it for me if I really wanted to. But this is my daily driver: the maintenance, swapping engines for smog checks, special fuel needs, insurance costs, the cops, worrying about it getting stolen, a-holes challenging me on the street, hours in the garage, days at the mechanic's shop, everything else, it's just not worth it. I will probably just keep her stock and buy myself a classic muscle car to build from scratch someday. Ah, but I wax philosophic don't I.
Old 1/28/06, 06:23 AM

@T-Stang,

First off, good post, thank you for the information. On your locking gas cap (I know, not performance related), is it one of those new billit ones that come in black or machine metal? Just curious how you like it? Also, do you have any pictures?

I understand your concern on the warrenty issue, beeing a DD it is a tough bridge to cross.

However, I must say this, hanging around these forums will cause you to get the mod bug again. I swore I was done with the hobby, but after I got my stang and got on the boards....it just kicked in like wild fire.

So tell us more on your choice of a ford racing exhaust, other than the fact that the chrome pipe looks cool. Have you been doing research on this? Also, do you have any tuner plans?

Thanks for the intro, I think you will get some positive responses on this one.

Cheers.
Old 1/28/06, 06:24 AM

Also, what color is your stang?
Old 1/28/06, 10:59 AM
V6 Member

Car is red metallic.
No pics.
Locking gas cap is standard stock replacement, and I have had no issues.

I am considering a Ford Racing exhaust because it is made by Borla, and because it is Ford correct. If it is the same basic design as the GT racing exhaust, then it would have been designed for V-8 racing applications involving much more hp than we can produce. It may be similar to what Ford is running on their factory race cars: if it flows well for them it should flow well for us. Backpressure is a concern of mine, however. With stock cats in place a free flowing cat-back or axle-back can cause a drop in hp or a hesitation in your throttle response--I have seen it in four banger Hondas, but I am not sure about a V-6. Ford Racing is offering the exhaust for V-6 applications: I do not know if it is the same as the V-8 exhaust or different, but I like that it looks stock.

My research includes the following (copied from another thread):

So I go to Ford Racing to check out what kind of CAI they have to offer. First of all, they don't have anything specifically for the V-6 yet. What they do have are two GT performance packages labeled "Power Pack," and "Drag Pack."

The "Power Pack" promises 20 hp at the rear wheels and includes: a conical hi-po air filter with a metal heat shield that utilizes the stock intake tube; a new mass air meter; dual Borla exhaust mufflers; a hi-po oil filter; and a factory racing calibration unit set with a 93 octane tune only. The Kit is 50-state legal and I am guessing that it would not void your warranty.

The "Drag Pack" promises to cut 1/4 mile times by 1/2 a second and includes all of the above, plus: a new 90 mm mass air meter; a 4:10 rear end; dual "shorty" headers; and a short throw racing shifter. . . .

And from later in the same thread:

I also found the route Ford Racing took very interesting. Why no cold air intake tube unless the stock tube already offers good flow? (One is not even included with the "Drag Pack.") Why use a metal heat shield that probably costs a little more to manufacture instead of plastic one, and why the need for a new mass air meter? Why no 87, 89, or 91 octane settings on the flash unit, unless the computer can't enrich the air/fuel mixture enough to make a difference, with the new hi-po conical air filter, unless you are running at least 93 octane? This would explain some of the almost no difference dyno numbers I have seen for 87, 89, and 91 octane tunes with aftermarket CAIs.

Why go with improved dual exhaust mufflers before going with shorty headers unless the stock headers already flow fairly well compared to the stock exhausts (or unless the catalytic converter restricts the headers from doing too much at least until the exhausts have been changed out first.)

When trying to cut just 1/2 a second off the 1/4 mile, Ford Racing went with a 4:10 rear end, nothing less!

And would you make a hi-po oil filter and a short throw shifter the the #3, or #4 items on your list? Why no pulleys, no long tube, or nothing to do with the ignition or the throttle body? Or are these modifications more trouble and expense then they are worth?

Finally, is the hi-po oil filter necessary because it flows better and lowers oil pressure at high revs, or because it flows better and causes less drag on the engine (and thus more hp), or both? That would be a real smart, low cost way to boost hp, wouldn't it.

:scratch:

You can check it out yourself here at:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/performance...ncepackages.asp

I believe their racing CAI is exactly the same as the Steeda CAI.

Ford Racing knows their cars better than any of us, and they have unlimited access to blueprints, test data, engineers, specialized mechanics, dynos, and factory production facilities. I think we can all take a cue from them.
Old 1/28/06, 04:20 PM
GT Member

I also have a manuel V6 here in Cali, and so far have the single GT take-off, waiting to see what would be the best bang for my buck. Thanks to the numerous other members who have spent there hard earned cash and time to test the multitude of different options out there, they have save me from doing so. After nearly a year since being out, I think the guys have a really good estimate of what a CAI-tuner can give, and most everyone falls within the range rygen gave in an above post :

-Manual: 205-208+ RWHP
-Auto: 190-194 RWHP

Without spending the time and money to do abck to back dynos and testing of various parts myself, I am happy to take the info passed on by other members, and "trust" their numbers or at least use them as a guage to estimate what my car might do. That being said, if I had the cash right now, I would hit the C&L intake and SCTII tuner, and expect between 195 -200 HP. If I want to be sure, I will gladly spend my own money and see what I have. I would then post my info and sheets so other members can see them.

This site and all the members are extremely helpful, and take the time to post for no other reason besides a common love for our sixes!

This car is also my dd and with the stict smog laws here it is hard to mod the engine not knowing if it will pass smog...
Old 1/28/06, 04:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by sundeep@January 28, 2006, 7:23 PM
I also have a manuel V6 here in Cali, and so far have the single GT take-off, waiting to see what would be the best bang for my buck.

-Manual: 205-208+ RWHP
-Auto: 190-194 RWHP

Without spending the time and money to do abck to back dynos and testing of various parts myself, I am happy to take the info passed on by other members, and "trust" their numbers or at least use them as a guage to estimate what my car might do. That being said, if I had the cash right now, I would hit the C&L intake and SCTII tuner, and expect between 195 -200 HP. If I want to be sure, I will gladly spend my own money and see what I have. I would then post my info and sheets so other members can see them.

This site and all the members are extremely helpful, and take the time to post for no other reason besides a common love for our sixes!

Welcome, Sundeep! Good attitude! Everyone here is always willing to lend a hand, advice, and experience. As Rygen wrote and you have discerend, the manual and AT numbers are very good estimations. If you check around the various Mustang forums, you will see that those numbers are very accurate and fairly average for those mods.

The C&L is probably the best CAI out there right now. With a C&L, an SCTII, a good tune, and a good muffler (not sure how good the GT Take-off is compared to JBA, Maganflow, etc.), you should break 200RWHP. I might have to sell my MMR and get a C&L....
Old 1/28/06, 07:19 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sundeep our car's are twins
The C&L and mailed tune have done wonders to the drivability of the car.