V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Problem with BamaChips tune

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/06, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Defiant
TexaStang

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think you're reading my posts and StupidTodd's posts and grouping them together as one person.

StupidTodd is the guy with the XCal1 and CEL problem, which led to his discovery that Bamachips is having a customer service problem.

I'm the girl looking for an updated tune for my XCal 2, who searched the forums for the keywords "Bamachips" and "problem" and found this thread. I've sent them several emails and left one phone message over the past 2 weeks, with no reply.

Please try to understand something... I for one totally appreciate the love and respect everyone has for Doug here -- he's a good, hardworking man. No one is saying anything negative about him personally -- this is a business issue. We've got a handful of unhappy customers that need to be taken care of, that's all.

--=K
Wasn't directed towards you. I just don't understand why people are taking these issues to the forums is all.

If you are having trouble getting him via email, then start trying to call him. Once doesn't count.

I had a slight hiccup on my tune on the dyno at around 5800 rpms and I called him immediately, I got the dyno files sent to him and a day later I get 2 revised and, to top it off better tunes making more power than before.
Old 7/30/06, 02:04 PM
V6 Member

Hold on there chief! If taking a computer code and putting it into one of your already made tunes is tough, then I hate to see what tough is. And to get $75 for it? Man, that is easy money.
Old 7/30/06, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Apparently it is difficult when a good number of tunes done in person are complete rubbish. Not to mention, he is tuning for mods on peoples cars he has never seen.

Lets see you do it, I bet you couldn't get the A/F on a CAI to where it wouldn't lean out and have a catastrohpic failure, let alone have it near perfect or as good as a dyno tune would have been.
Old 7/30/06, 02:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey guys,

I've been very busy lately as this summer has been wild. I've just purchased my own dyno and I'm about to take on BamaChips as a full time business. I get around 50-75 new emails daily and I'm very sorry if I haven't gotten to yours yet. With the addition of my new business line now I spend more time on the phone then I can on my emails and it doesnt take very long for them to back up.

As for hiring more people, if I thought I knew anyone I with the knowledge to handle the questions I get in my emails then I would.

As for throwing together a tune, that's just hilarious. If you actually new what it took to make the proper adjustments for a CAI and for the rest of the tune you would think $75 isn't enough. Most tuners charge over $100 PER new tune. Then add that to the new Drive By Wire systems that if the tune is off it will shut down the throttle and pretty well the car then you would see what it takes.

Yes, I'm behind but YES I am working very hard on getting it all done. I spent 8 hours at the dyno yesterday with one truck that had more then $95K spent on it and a good part of that was the driveline, its small things like that that take up my time mainly.

Feel free to resend your email as many of you have you'll get two replies from me in the order you sent your mails. I answer them in the order they are received.

Kim, your tunes have been sent.sorry for the delay!

Thanks, Doug.
Old 7/30/06, 03:24 PM
V6 Member

Well actually, as a matter of fact I just put on my Tunable Induction intake and added a couple % fuel or so and have had NO engine light in a month. I'd say I did OK on my own. Tough? Hardly. Now, adding all the other "options" that people want, that takes some time. IMHO, you can't really tune a car over the internet. I would prefer to go get a custom dyno tune but I don't know where to go or how much that would cost.

My tune is OK, I did the shift schedule MYSELF, did the torque lockout MYSELF and the shift firmness is average for what one can do with a free program. I'd say the tune is a 7 out of 10 with no cost involved. I'd really like kick *** shifts and better throttle response. This drive by wire is a complete joke. Yes, I've ordered a 93 torque mail tune and it supposedly has great throttle response and no torque limiter, but that's not what I feel. My 87 custom tune by yours truely is much better overall.
Old 7/30/06, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Buschris
Well actually, as a matter of fact I just put on my Tunable Induction intake and added a couple % fuel or so and have had NO engine light in a month. I'd say I did OK on my own. Tough? Hardly. Now, adding all the other "options" that people want, that takes some time. IMHO, you can't really tune a car over the internet. I would prefer to go get a custom dyno tune but I don't know where to go or how much that would cost.

My tune is OK, I did the shift schedule MYSELF, did the torque lockout MYSELF and the shift firmness is average for what one can do with a free program. I'd say the tune is a 7 out of 10 with no cost involved. I'd really like kick *** shifts and better throttle response. This drive by wire is a complete joke. Yes, I've ordered a 93 torque mail tune and it supposedly has great throttle response and no torque limiter, but that's not what I feel. My 87 custom tune by yours truely is much better overall.
Let me find you a cookie. And whadya ya know, I hardly notice my drive by wire with the tune I have. Go figure.

Buying a CAI that requires a tune, and just winging it without a dyno as far as a/f and spark go...well, have fun with that, especially since a dyno wasn't involved.

"Well I'm glad I don't have a CEL" is the bare minimum here, and, I don't even give it any thought. I expect to have no CEL. I want optimal power, and my local dyno shop said the tune Doug gave me was spot on. There was simply no room for improvement in there eyes without leaning the car out to make more power.

So, I expect to see your "well you don't have a CEL so I did something right!" tuning business up and running shortly.
Old 7/30/06, 06:23 PM
V6 Member

Buschris... whiskey tango foxtrot, over?

Doug
, thanks for calling me (on a Sunday) so we could get everything straightened out. To be honest, I had no idea that Bamachips wasn't a full time operation. If I can help in any way with the email backup, just holler.

--=K
Old 7/30/06, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm not here to argue with you nor will I go into detail about what it takes to make a tune but I can guaruntee you didn't do enough for proper operation of the Tuneable cold air if all you did was adjust it using the user options or the EXtreme tuning software. The Extreme Tuning software doesn't allow for enough adjustability to make the changes at the right spots. Furthermore you dont have an A/F to go by because you say yourself you've never been to a dyno so you maynot be out of spec yet but the stock PCM will adjust ALOT for part throttle mishaps and it wont adjust at all for WOT so what you've changed isn't doing anything at WOT for you. I will tell you this, for the Demolet Air intake on the it requires an additional 35% of fuel at WOT, the Extreme Tune only allows for a gain of 15.

One thing you cannot change is the Torque Management, if thats what you mean by Torque Lockout, with the User options or the Extreme Tuning software.

Please though,I've just sent you a Demolet version of the tune you have now, you requested an entirely new tune before and thats why I quoted you the new price. Mods to tunes you already have are free because I've already spent the time making them. All I have to do is adjust them instead of starting over.

Please use this tune with your demolet as it is setup for it, if you're not happy thats fine let me know and I'll refund your money but you need to use this tune so you wont hurt your engine.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 7/30/06, 10:24 PM
V6 Member

35% holy crap, I don't see that much air going into the engine because even if the intake tube is quite large, the throttle body and moreso the intake manifold is very small. I could see that if the tb was larger and a new intake manifold or a modified one was utilized. The only thing that might change is the maf sensor isn't correctly reporting the true flow, and the injectors aren't shooting enough fuel. The velocity in these new intakes is lower because of the larger tubes.

What I was saying about just adding the code to a tune, alot of cars tunes might be the same, say a stock car just wanting more driveability and you have that tune already created, just adding a code is very easy. Making new tunes with different mods would be more time consuming, don't think I am bashing your abilities. I've heard nothing but praise but alas, my situation is not very pleasant so far with the x-cal.

Doug, I got the tune. I'll try it out when I get the chance, I just filled up with 87. I do have a question for someone who may know... will these cars run an ethanol blend of 15% and what octane would that be? Ethanol blends here are way cheaper than 87 and I wanted to try that out. Of course, timing and a/f might need adjusting as well.
Old 7/31/06, 01:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
Hey guys,

I've been very busy lately as this summer has been wild. I've just purchased my own dyno and I'm about to take on BamaChips as a full time business. I get around 50-75 new emails daily and I'm very sorry if I haven't gotten to yours yet. With the addition of my new business line now I spend more time on the phone then I can on my emails and it doesnt take very long for them to back up.

As for hiring more people, if I thought I knew anyone I with the knowledge to handle the questions I get in my emails then I would.

As for throwing together a tune, that's just hilarious. If you actually new what it took to make the proper adjustments for a CAI and for the rest of the tune you would think $75 isn't enough. Most tuners charge over $100 PER new tune. Then add that to the new Drive By Wire systems that if the tune is off it will shut down the throttle and pretty well the car then you would see what it takes.

Yes, I'm behind but YES I am working very hard on getting it all done. I spent 8 hours at the dyno yesterday with one truck that had more then $95K spent on it and a good part of that was the driveline, its small things like that that take up my time mainly.

Feel free to resend your email as many of you have you'll get two replies from me in the order you sent your mails. I answer them in the order they are received.

Thanks, Doug.
Doug, congratulations on the new dyno purchase!! And, for taking this business on full-time! I wish you every bit of success... you deserve it!
Old 7/31/06, 06:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Exactly. I hope you realize that was the point I was trying to make in my post. I run a business also, and if you care about good service, it often takes forever to get the kind of help that won't just make your job harder by having to clean up the mess they create.

I appreciate your candor here Doug. I would much rather do business with someone who extends themselves to maintain quality rather than delegates to poorly trained staff. Hang in there and good luck with the full-time status!
Old 7/31/06, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,

Thanks, Doug.
Congrats on going full time.
Old 7/31/06, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
Congrats on going full time.
Thanks for the support guys!

Yes, I took your comment the in the right content Rash, I understand that you can't listen to the way someone puts something online. Of course I also feel that arguing online is a waste and this is why I'd rather try and explain my points rather then trying to fuss.

Hey Chris, the Mustang has an Ethonal table for adjustments for that fuel. It will actually retard a set amount of timing if it detects a certain percentage. You should be fine running it with an 87 tune, I wouldn't try it on a higher octane tune unless you get more feedback elsewhere, we dont have that type of fuel down here or I would try it.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 8/1/06, 07:03 PM
V6 Member

Well, the 93 tune runs just fine. Still unimpressed with takoff and shifting but hey, it's a V6 right? Doesn't feel like enough power to justify using 93 over 87 however. Someday I'm gonna get on a dyno and see exactly what I'm pushing, on 87 and 93. That is, if my car doesn't sell. I have had it up for about 2 months with no bites even. I guess I shoulda got a GT right? lol

At least she looks good!
Old 8/2/06, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Custom dyno tunes are not that much. I paid a one-time fee of $100 for the tune. Now, I only pay for dyno time, which is $90 an hour. I can count on spending $90 this weekend to get my car fine-tuned AND have a few dyno sheets to show for it.

As for Doug, you're paying a premium for the quality of tune. I'm sure if I had my car on his dyno, with him making the adjustments, I'd have a better all-around tune than where I'm going now... simply because he's got so much experience with the new Spanish Oaks computer.

Old 8/2/06, 08:22 PM
V6 Member

"As for Doug, you're paying a premium for the quality of tune. I'm sure if I had my car on his dyno, with him making the adjustments, I'd have a better all-around tune than where I'm going now... simply because he's got so much experience with the new Spanish Oaks computer."

Well, I wonder if I can get super firmer shifts AND my shift point adjustments incorporated into Doug's tune? The tune seems to run fine, but I hate everything else about it. I also can't for the life of me burn one tire, even with my foot on the brake a bit. Go figure.
Old 8/12/06, 08:46 AM
V6 Member

I guess I am a bit disappointed, Doug has said that there can be no adjustment of the shift firmness any higher than the 25% already allowed on the device. I do know this, when I use Xtreme Tune and adjust the firmness, it's much better than using on-device adjustments.
Old 9/8/06, 05:18 AM
GT Member

Hy guys
I read only good things about Doug on many sites, only in this thread is someone not so happy... I think better is to talk with Doug instead of writing a kind of open letter!
About Doug and Bamachips I saw in european stang forums congratulations for the good service and the good job he did for people on the other side of the ocean. The tunes are working in Europe and we don't have the same quality of gas.
Old 9/8/06, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lord, Doug went international.. when did this happen O.O
Old 9/13/06, 10:14 PM
V6 Member

well I can say this, the new tune I got (the 87) definately makes more power, moreso than the 93. Second, these new mustangs don't shift worth a crap.