V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Problem with BamaChips tune

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/06, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with BamaChips tune

About 2 months ago I ordered a tune from Doug @ Bamachips. (for the C&L intake and dual exhausts, using XCal version 1)

About a month ago, my CEL (check engine light) came on. I thought maybe something threw a code, and just ignored it. The CEL went off for a few days, and I thought everything was ok.

Then the CEL came back on about 2-3 weeks ago, and it won't turn off.

I've emailed Doug a few times over the past weeks, but he hasn't/won't answered any of my emails.

I don't have the XCal II or an ODB II code checker, so I can't check to see what the trouble code actually is. I don't want to take it to the dealer, and have them charge me since the car is modded and most likely the mods or new tune is causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is getting a custom dyno tune or maybe buying a tune from lido at alternative. I've also thought of getting one of the newer tuners (XCal II) with a new tune on it, but I'm not really sure how much that would help.

Thanks for any input,
Todd
Old 7/7/06, 11:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Went to their website, it says to use the online form to contact them.
http://bamachips.com/store/index.php...ef24dabf386fef
I guess he's pretty busy. Try that out.
Old 7/7/06, 11:59 AM

I know Doug is pretty busy (which is why I'm not *****ing about it, just looking for options).

I also know he reads these forums, so I was kinda hoping he'd see this here and respond too it.

I also thought about taking the car to autozone (I think they check computer codes for free). Maybe they can figure out what the code is.

I'm just kinda worried that there might be something actually wrong, and I might need to take the C&L off, go back to the stock tune, and take it too the dealer. But I'd prefer not to do that if I don't have too.
Old 7/7/06, 12:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Make sure everything is connected right with the intake, and nothings coming loose. A loose connection will throw a wrench light in a hurry. Have you tried reflashing it using the tune again?
Old 7/7/06, 05:35 PM

Ok, I checked all the connections. Everything was hooked up correctly.

Then I reflashed the carputer (first with the old tune, then with the one from Doug again).

The CEL is now off, but I expected resetting the tune would do that. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, will let you know if the light comes back on.
Old 7/7/06, 07:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Doug will get back to you. He is a stand up guy and probably took some time off over this 4th of July week. JMO~
Old 7/10/06, 04:36 PM
Banned

I've responded a few times to your emails asking what the code is? Do you have a spam blocker? That may be catching my responce emails. Take the car to Autozone and have them read the code if it comes back on and then either post it or email it to me. I have ALOT of emails daily so I may see it and respond quickly as I dont get much time to come here.

Thanks, Doug.
Old 7/11/06, 08:11 AM

Doug,

I do have a spam filter, but I wouldn't think it would matter since you're emails have gotten to me before with no problems. (like when you sent the tunes)

I have reflashed the tune, and I don't have a trouble code right now. If it pops back up, I'll stop by autozone and have them read it for me, and I'll send it too you.
Old 7/11/06, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

Hey Doug,

I sent you an email on Sunday with a problem and I havent heard back either.

I sent it to the gmail acct.
Old 7/26/06, 07:57 AM
V6 Member

I'm both surprised and relieved to hear that everyone's having such a hard time getting a hold of Doug lately. When I bought my XCal2 from Bamachips last year, his customer service was lightning fast and fantastic.

However, I've been sending emails to his gmail addy every other day since last Wednesday and although I did get a refund (on a backordered V6 C&L CAI) on Friday, I haven't been able to get a response re: an updated tune for my car.

Doug - If email isn't the best way to get in touch, would it be easier if I called on the phone? I sure don't want to be a pest, but I hate being in the dark.

--=K
Old 7/27/06, 01:05 PM
V6 Member

As a customer you shouldnt be a pest if you call. Now if you call every hour that might qualify as a pest. I see no reason not to call.
Old 7/28/06, 10:17 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, lmmmm. :-)

Well, I've emailed every other day, called yesterday and left a message with the wife, and still nothing. It's been a week and a half, and I'm not feeling too good about this. What really bothers me is that I feel like I'm being ignored -- I know both Doug and his wife said he's been swamped with work, but yet he's still active on this board.

I know what I'm asking for is an updated tune, and to my knowledge that is part of the original purchase price of the XCal 2... so there's no money to be made off me at the moment. (When money is involved, Doug has always been great -- even when refunds are requested.)

I feel terrible even commenting on all this, except I'm really feeling frustrated and I needed to hear (see?) some friendly voices.

--=K
Old 7/28/06, 12:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dude, Ive met Doug and worked with him before. You have to understand something. This guy works a full work week. He then comes home and has to deal with Bamachips business. He is up many nights way way into the night. Realistically, he's working two full jobs more or less. He also has his wife, and young children he should get to see sometime. I cant make excuses for him, but he really is busier than all heck. He's also one heck of a stand up guy. If he hasnt responded yet, there's good reason for it... Im positive of that much.
Old 7/28/06, 02:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

If it helps you at all, I emailed him for the first time a few weeks ago, and when I didn't hear back, I emailed from another email account. After another week or so, he responded to both accounts. I have since sent him a follow-up email, and have yet to hear back after 5 days or so.

Point is, he did respond, it just took awhile. I'm guessing he's at that point in his Bama business where he's busy enough that he could use to hire some help, but is too busy to find the time to go about doing so. Catch-22 - I've been there.

Anyway, being that his reputation is stellar on these boards, I'm willing to overlook the delays for now. I'm not sure I'd be so willing if I were in your shoes having problems after the purchase, so I can understand your position. If his reputation here is accurate, I'm sure he cares about his business image and will rectify things for you shortly.
Old 7/29/06, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

I've heard great things about Doug... but this is something that is happening more and more in the parts/service industry. A company makes a name for themselves, then get busy as hell and don't hire the manpower/expertise to handle the new load.

Just like George @ RPM Outlet. I think they're a great company... once you get them on the phone. I think what happens is one person becomes the be-all-end-all of customer service, then has a hard time finding a co-worker who can provide the same level of expertise.
Old 7/29/06, 01:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Why not just call him? He's been more than willing to talk every time I've called in the past.
Old 7/29/06, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

first let me say that ive never done buis with bamachips
although i plan to soon.

second let me say this, to bash someone on a public forum is weak!!

your thread is started with the subject "problem with bamachips tune"
but then you go on in the text of your thread and admit that you dont know what the trouble is with you car????

the topic should have been " unknown cel w/ tune"

just my 2c

jay
Old 7/29/06, 08:58 PM
V6 Member

let me say this, to bash someone on a public forum is weak!!

your thread is started with the subject "problem with bamachips tune"
but then you go on in the text of your thread and admit that you dont know what the trouble is with you car????

the topic should have been " unknown cel w/ tune"
Whoa there.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I believe that this is one of the most civil, polite "problem with Company X" threads I've ever seen. I don't see any "bashing" at all. Someone had an issue, and several other someones chimed in with their corroborating stories.

Having said that, I think that the wording of the topic is right on. A search for the keywords "Bamachips" and "problem" is actually how I found this thread in the first place. The main issue here is that Bamachips is not providing acceptable customer service (at the moment). This is something that both current and potential customers have the right to know about, wouldn't you agree?

--=K
Old 7/29/06, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, considering you bought an Xcal 1, instead of a 2, what do you want him to do? I'm not saying having a bit of trouble getting a hold of him isn't a problem in upon itself, but looking past that -- if you were going to be modifying basically the operating system of your car, why wouldn't you at least buy a unit that was capable of diagnosing the problem?

You do know you can just take the thing to an autoparts store and get the code diagnosed though, right?

So basically you are crying that, the one time you did decide the call after ignoring the problemf or 2 weeks he was not available, and you havn't even given him 1 business day or a second call back before you come here saying how horrible he is.

And let me ask this, what would that phone conversation have been like?

"Well hey Doug, I've been driving around with a CEL for 2 weeks, but, I don't know what it is. Can you fix it?"

Right.

Heck, it could be anything, TPS could be running amuck, any number of things not related to Doug's tune at all.

But no, It's Doug's fault and he's not answering my one phone call so he can fix my problem, even though I havn't taken the time of day to actually check what said problem is.

Give me a break.

edit -- also note, if you had searched the forums like you said you have, it is widely known Doug is a bit difficult to get a hold of via emails. Fact is, you should have a) gone to the autoparts store and had the CEL read and then b) Called 2 weeks ago.

After that, call every day after 5 pm or so PM CST if you are unable to get a hold of him. God forbid the man is actually at work.
Old 7/30/06, 09:02 AM
V6 Member

TexaStang

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I think you're reading my posts and StupidTodd's posts and grouping them together as one person.

StupidTodd is the guy with the XCal1 and CEL problem, which led to his discovery that Bamachips is having a customer service problem.

I'm the girl looking for an updated tune for my XCal 2, who searched the forums for the keywords "Bamachips" and "problem" and found this thread. I've sent them several emails and left one phone message over the past 2 weeks, with no reply.

Please try to understand something... I for one totally appreciate the love and respect everyone has for Doug here -- he's a good, hardworking man. No one is saying anything negative about him personally -- this is a business issue. We've got a handful of unhappy customers that need to be taken care of, that's all.

--=K

Quick Reply: Problem with BamaChips tune